Anyone tried "painting" clothing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Wolfe

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I acquired a loose WWI stormtrooper (German) as part of a lot that someone had tried to "customize" by misting the dressed figure in baby- s*$# brown spraypaint. No kidding. I was hoping to salvage the blouse but I don't think I can strip the paint off of fabric by D&L handcleaner or lacquer thinner or the like. What about airbushing feldgrau over it in a thinned coat? Enough to cover it and then pastels to follow? It will be a dirty uniform in the end.

I've painted logos, and used acrylics to match colors, but I've never painted an complete piece of clothing before.

mate I've painted a few uniforms and the best way I've found is to use a little watered down PVA glue and brush it over the clothing and then let dry.

Once dry you can paint, drybrush over it and it will and then again when dry use pastels.

Ron

Problem solved: I just soaked the uniform in Stripeeze - a paint stripper- then rinsed in paint thinner. No harm to the fabric and it even gave it a bit of a weathered look in the end. Only loosened the glue on the chevrons, not a big deal. Thanks for the input, maybe you can use this yourselves one day if you get in a jam.

Back