Any Straight Edgers?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darth Cruel, allow me to ask, if it becomes legal, what's the reason you would do marijuana? Is it purely for the feeling, doing it just to do it or maybe to join in with friends who do it? I'm curious to see the reason.

For me...it is two things...I have an almost constant feeling of a very relaxed freefall...and I like the way sex feels when I am mellowed (which is my own term for being under the influence of marijuana because it does not feel like "stoned" or "high" or "blasted" to me...it feels "mellow").

I don't drink and don't smoke cigs.
I do smoke weed occasionally and my best friend is a major pot head. :lol

I've got a condition that can cause me a lot of pain ( I've managed to get on top of it much better now ) , no pain killers ever touched it and I kid you not the first time I tried weed and happened to be in the same pain , smoking helped me more than anything I'd ever used and still to this day is the best pain killer for me. It seems to relax all my muscles and body overall which with this pain seems to be the ultimate relief. On top of that some of the funniest moments in my life are when I've been high , having to sleep on a polar bear rug next to my mate and not being able to stop laughing for around 5 hours is one of them. :rotfl Never really seen the point in cigs and drinking just isn't for me.

I've got a friend who's a bit of a coke head, he's just ridiculous though, thinks he's invincible and I can already see his personality has been altered by his lifestyle.

I mentioned it in another thread similar but I've seen guys on ketamine and things similar at parties who literally have no idea where they are and what's going on and are just falling on people or spinning around on the floor. Why anyone would want to be in that state I'll never understand.

i swear i'm a straight edger...........:lecture

y8KaH.gif.jpg.gif

dammit.........:mad:

Almost every SE I ever met was more obnoxious and condescending than any evangelist I ever met. :lol

Also every SE I ever knew seemed to get more into drugs down the road than my other friends.

It's philosophy is dumb. "Making it cool" to not be self-destructive makes it no longer cool. If you don't want to do drugs or drink or smoke, just don't do them because you don't want to. SE'ers are as dumb as Christ-Rock (another thing I can't stand).

I'm not a straight-edger per se, but I don't drink or smoke or do drugs. I do drink on occasion, but I don't make a big deal out of drinking/not drinking. Normally I just say "no thanks." Although I do think it's funny when people I don't normally socialize with look at me funny or insist when I turn down a drink. How do they know I'm not a recovering alcoholic and I'm trying to stay sober?

I had a friend in HS that used to call me a straight edger back in the late 80s early 90s, so I guess I was kinda like that back then. Even through college I never touched a drink or any kind of drugs (despite going to a fine arts college in Manhattan!). At that time it was mostly out of guilt since I would not feel right partying on my Mother's dime, especially since we were barely scraping by and sending me to NY was a big sacrifice to the family.

But once I got out of college and got a job, I drank like a fish for a good while. But that was the atmosphere at the place I worked at. Everyone there worked hard and partied 3 times as hard. Plus there were always events with open bars, so I would totally get hammered. I would end up falling asleep during the second leg of the party in the restaurant. (Is that passing out? I wouldn't consider it "passing out" since I chose to go to sleep. I consider passing out involuntarily falling asleep.) I would remember getting home, but wouldn't remember taking my contacts off and getting dressed for bed. I even remember going to a job interview way totally hung over after a long night of drinking. The great thing about living in NY is that you didn't need to drive anywhere, so I didn't feel nervous about drinking too much and getting home in one piece.

After I left that job, I never really drank again. It wasn't or isn't a moral decision or anything. I just never really liked it (because of the taste of alcohol) and I don't miss being drunk. The last time I got really drunk was for my bachelor party and I was puking the whole night afterwards. Now I just have an occasional drink now and again, but not enough to get wasted. I feel extra nervous about not being able to drive, so I tend to overcompensate. :lol, though my wife says she kinda misses how I used to be when I was drunk, cos she says I get very lovey when I'm inebriated! :)

Whatever works for people to help them going or restain themselves from what they perceive as a bad habit, addiction, weakness, whatever. Some people need to be extreme, some don't. In the end, if they are achieving the results they wanted, good for them.

I'm not straight edge but ive never been drunk or high in my life. I do have a beer sometimes (Guiness) but never had 2 in a row. I did smoke cigarettes from 12-24 years old too but quit thanks to a 3 day Ninja Gaiden Black marathon on my xbox back in 2006.

Whatever works for people to help them going or restain themselves from what they perceive as a bad habit, addiction, weakness, whatever. Some people need to be extreme, some don't. In the end, if they are achieving the results they wanted, good for them.

:exactly:
Never been stated more truthful than that.

Also every SE I ever knew seemed to get more into drugs down the road than my other friends.
Maybe because a lot of them had the genetic predisposition? I'm guessing lots of folks get into this because they had bad experiences at home that they are trying not to emulate. But overcoming your nature ain't easy.

Maybe because a lot of them had the genetic predisposition? I'm guessing lots of folks get into this because they had bad experiences at home that they are trying not to emulate. But overcoming your nature ain't easy.

This.

I don't want to become the father like mine was. I want to be a good example to my kids and make them see that it is possible to have a fun life without outside "help". I want to be a good father instead of the ____ty one I got.

It's sad to see people being so disrespectful towards people's personal choices. I never heard a Straight Edger being disrespectful to someone who drinks or smokes. Most of the people I hang out with smoke and drink, and they're still my friends.

This.

I don't want to become the father like mine was. I want to be a good example to my kids and make them see that it is possible to have a fun life without outside "help". I want to be a good father instead of the ____ty one I got.

It's sad to see people being so disrespectful towards people's personal choices. I never heard a Straight Edger being disrespectful to someone who drinks or smokes. Most of the people I hang out with smoke and drink, and they're still my friends.

Oxymoronic.

I think some folks just have a knee-jerk response to what they see as someone taking an extreme response to anything, as oftentimes those are the people who are most likely to be most judgmental toward more middle-of-the-road thinkers who disagree with them. Religious extremists, ideological extremists, vegans, straight edgers, hermits, fascists, etc. And of course, the judgmental response folks give to these they claim as being judgmental doesn't lack irony. But, as others are saying here, this may often be based on bad, negative experiences with certain folks holding that POV.

I think CM Punk is a good representative of that cause, because whenever he tried to ram it down folks' throats, it was with the intention of getting a negative response for entertainment purposes (same as Daniel Bryan). When he's allowed to act as himself, he shows off the fact that he's proud for following this cause, but he doesn't constantly and overtly judge anyone who acts differently.

Oxymoronic.
And Nam does have a point IMO. Because casual drinkers/drug users often aren't doing it because they need "help," they just want to do something they enjoy from time to time. No different than enjoying nice food or an invigorating bike ride or whatever. If someone is having serious life problems that require alcohol to get through the day, then that's another story, but that's not the majority of folks who drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back