American Idol 2009!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
Despite fear of being ridiculed, this is the 2009 American Idol thread.

"IDOL STARTS TONIGHT!"

I predict a rocker chick will finally win it.

From a Yahoo! Article about the changes:

Definite Changes

Fewer Trainwrecks
In an effort to bring some more "credibility" to the show, fewer freaks (Mary Roach), delusional dorks (Michael Sandecki), and hot messes (William Hung) will be featured during the auditions.

Character Development
With Hollywood Week finally becoming Hollywood Weeks, we'll actually get to know the contestants and their stories, unlike in years past when the Top 12 could easily consist of strangers.

Wild-Card Round

For the first time since the show's second season, the judges will select the final three contestants that will comprise the Top 12.

Top 12

With the semi-final round being comprised of 36 contestants -- as opposed to the usual 24 -- and with the judges determining the wild-cards, the makeup of the Top 12 won't necessarily be split evenly among males and females.

New Judge

The new kid on the block is songwriter-producer Kara DioGuardi, the mastermind behind Xtina's "Ain't No Other Man," Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl," and Pink's latest hit, "Sober." Will she rely on her professional experience like Randy? Will she battle with Simon? Will she ultimately replace Paula? (All parties deny this rumor). Will she tell it like it is and risk hurting the contestants' feelings?

Shorter Results Show

Wednesday night's results show will be pared down from one hour to 30 minutes.

Rumored Changes

Fewer Themes

Rumor has it that viewers will no longer have to witness pop tarts trash country classics, crooners butcher Broadway tunes, and divas destroy Big Band standards.

Younger Mentors

In a perfect world, Season 8's finalists won't have to pretend to know who Neil Diamond is, let alone sing songs from his infinite oeuvre. Same goes for Andrew Lloyd Webber and anyone else with liver spots.

I'm glad to hear they're cutting down on the weirdos. That stuff gets old in a hurry. Cutting down on theme shows is a good idea too.

The audition shows are the only parts I watch - but the ones who dress up and perform poorly just to get on TV are stupid.

I like (so you think you can dance)though. Very talented people on there. Actually makes me Think of getting off the sofa. :lol but then I get over it.

I like (so you think you can dance)though. Very talented people on there. Actually makes me Think of getting off the sofa. :lol but then I get over it.

I've said it before - but So You Think You Can Dance is SO underrated. It actually advances the art form (dance) instead of setting it back 1000 years (as Idol does for singing).

Well I like both American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. The only thing that made me mad with Idol though is when the voting is just pure BS, I can go on and on about the poor singers that won, but I won't :lol And I liked the bad singers they showed during the auditions that think they're actually good, it was just funny. The weirdos that just dress up to get on T.V. I didn't like though.

Fewer Trainwrecks
In an effort to bring some more "credibility" to the show, fewer freaks (Mary Roach), delusional dorks (Michael Sandecki), and hot messes (William Hung) will be featured during the auditions.

What is the point of the show without the trainwrecks?

I used to actually watch this show. But, at this point it just needs to stop and go away.

:monkey4

I've said it before - but So You Think You Can Dance is SO underrated. It actually advances the art form (dance) instead of setting it back 1000 years (as Idol does for singing).

I agree- the park bench performance and the board room one. just a couple of my favorite ones. they really stood out. Programs like that, really open your eyes to the beauty of the art. Make Idol look like poo. :lol

Despite fear of being ridiculed, this is the 2009 American Idol thread.

Better start running, I'm coming for you for making this thread

ChasedByAgent.jpg

I agree fully. So you think you can dance is watchable, educational, and entertaining. American Idol is just cringe-worthy, even for the "winners".

I watched though but I felt dirty during.

Back