ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
661.png

567.png

2100.png

374.png

467.png

954.png

758.png

857.png

1046.png

1244.png

MMC Impactor

I've been a fan of Impactor since the UK Marvel comics and as the iGear one never happened had been hoping someone else would have a crack at him.

The alt mode is different to the IDW art and reminds me of the tank from the Metal Slug videogames.

The robot mode is amazing.

Looks like I'll be getting 2 figures from MMC in the next few weeks :)

There is a video review for the oversize KO Grimlock, he looks amazing as well. He has an extra head and the joints have been tightened.

I'm finding it very hard not to order both of them.

what is the extra head and how much is he I am tempted to get him I do not care if he is out of scale I want him. I would put him next to my MP 01 aka first issue 20th Prime (but with MP 01 shoulder stacks).

I think FT Grimlock and Giga Power Grimlock will both be better than a lazy ripoff of a dated mold.

Dated mold is A bit harsh no? Wasn't he considered one of the best MP molds?

Exactly!

Who wants that old mold, really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never owned the original because even then, I felt he was too small when compared to MP01. So I held out for a hopeful redo. And gigapower have only just revealed HQ-02...I think it's gonna be a lonnnng while before we see a grimlock from them. FT haven't even revealed theirs yet as well. I've always wanted a grimlock, and this might itch that scratch for me. It'll go real nice with my guttur!

Dated mold is A bit harsh no?

Not at all, the bar for MP Dinobots and MP figures in general has raised significantly since it's original release. MP08 is not aging well.

1.Even at the old scale it was too small so post reboot ( MP10 onwards ) it looks increasingly out of place, particularly with the Giga Power Dinobots. It just about works with the FT versions if kept in dinosaur mode.

2.The oversized shoulders aren't accurate to the G1 toy, animation or comic art. A figure that's meant to be the ultimate version of a character shouldn't be missing basic details like that. It was a flaw when it was first released and stands out even more now.

3.The lame tail wagging/wobbly neck gimmick has an adverse effect on the structural integrity of the alt mode, it feels very loose & floppy compared to pretty much every other MP figure I have whether official or 3rd party.

4.There's no option to keep the sword or gun lit for picture taking or display purposes and you can only have them lit when held in one hand because all the electronics are shoved in one of the arms instead of the actual weapons.

5.Like all official MP figures, the hand articulation is very limited. Fully articulated hands expand the number of posing options as more different gestures are made possible.

6.Build quality is lightweight. Another thing that's more of an issue with official MP figures in general but when my other Dinobots are so solidly constructed MP08 feels like the cheap unlicensed figure and stands out for the wrong reason.

FT's initial lineart for Grimlock was not great, but they'll have taken the criticism on board and made changes for the actual prototype and I'm sure it'll be the new benchmark for what a MP Grimlock should be. Giga Power's is probably a long while off, but should be a viable alternative option for anyone who prefers their style and scale.

Fan Toys Grimlock is supposed to be revealed towards the end of this year

^ The face sculpt on that oversized Grimlock looks very odd, like he's got a mouth...

I'm still quite interested in seeing what FansToys can do with that Grimlock, and if it turns out to be better than the line drawing I'm sure I'll end up getting it, but I'm with Karamazov - the MP-08 version is fine by me, especially with the platform shoes. Worse case scenario, I stick with that. Even if I get the FT one I'll likely stick MP Grimlock in dino mode and display him with Rodimus and Ultra Magnus. :)

I did see it but the way it's drawn in the picture looks a lot smoother than how the knee pads look on the actual figure.

I think it's one of those situations where Kobayashi has added something from the cartoon just for the sake of doing so regardless of whether it works as well on a 3D object as it did on a 2D drawing with limited detail.

Hasui's approach was much more to my liking,

I agree with Hasui's statement but I personally think the kneepads look fine. To each his own, I guess!

Ironhide definitely misses the mark... I think it's better than the current 3P ones but only marginally so. I'd love to see FT have a crack at the character (and screw the all-in-one transformation - make robot accuracy the priority!).

Are there KO Wheeljacks out there, too? Damn. The bootleggers leave no stone unturned.

Is there a handy guide somewhere to tell the difference? Unopened, primarily, I mean. I have a bunch of extra MP cars still MISB, but it's gonna be hard to sell or trade them as genuine if people can't tell the difference...

Not at all, the bar for MP Dinobots and MP figures in general has raised significantly since it's original release. MP08 is not aging well.

1.Even at the old scale it was too small so post reboot ( MP10 onwards ) it looks increasingly out of place, particularly with the Giga Power Dinobots. It just about works with the FT versions if kept in dinosaur mode.

2.The oversized shoulders aren't accurate to the G1 toy, animation or comic art. A figure that's meant to be the ultimate version of a character shouldn't be missing basic details like that. It was a flaw when it was first released and stands out even more now.

3.The lame tail wagging/wobbly neck gimmick has an adverse effect on the structural integrity of the alt mode, it feels very loose & floppy compared to pretty much every other MP figure I have whether official or 3rd party.

4.There's no option to keep the sword or gun lit for picture taking or display purposes and you can only have them lit when held in one hand because all the electronics are shoved in one of the arms instead of the actual weapons.

5.Like all official MP figures, the hand articulation is very limited. Fully articulated hands expand the number of posing options as more different gestures are made possible.

6.Build quality is lightweight. Another thing that's more of an issue with official MP figures in general but when my other Dinobots are so solidly constructed MP08 feels like the cheap unlicensed figure and stands out for the wrong reason.

FT's initial lineart for Grimlock was not great, but they'll have taken the criticism on board and made changes for the actual prototype and I'm sure it'll be the new benchmark for what a MP Grimlock should be. Giga Power's is probably be a long while off, but should be a viable alternative option for anyone who prefers their style and scale.

I agree that 3rd party offerings have risen the bar. It's just...ugh! OS grimmy is right around the corner, whereas FTs as well as Giga (partial to Giga, their guttur is like a revelation) are no where to be seen. I WILL $#!+ bricks when Giga shows their prototype of grimmy...but it's sooooo far away.

I still think this OS mp08 is sweet looking though. If the joints are tight, I think I'm gonna pick it up. Just to scratch that itch.

^ The face sculpt on that oversized Grimlock looks very odd, like he's got a mouth...

That is one of the alternative heads, it comes with the standard one as well.

Most of the issues mentioned below (1,3,4,6) have been fixed on the oversize KO version. There is a 45 minute review (in chinese) of the figure that goes over every detail and change.

1.Even at the old scale it was too small so post reboot ( MP10 onwards ) it looks increasingly out of place, particularly with the Giga Power Dinobots. It just about works with the FT versions if kept in dinosaur mode. FIXED - now larger

3.The lame tail wagging/wobbly neck gimmick has an adverse effect on the structural integrity of the alt mode, it feels very loose & floppy compared to pretty much every other MP figure I have whether official or 3rd party. FIXED - joints are tighter

4.There's no option to keep the sword or gun lit for picture taking or display purposes and you can only have them lit when held in one hand because all the electronics are shoved in one of the arms instead of the actual weapons. FIXED - sword light will stay on if you hold the button for 2 seconds

5.Like all official MP figures, the hand articulation is very limited. Fully articulated hands expand the number of posing options as more different gestures are made possible. Same as all MPs

6.Build quality is lightweight. Another thing that's more of an issue with official MP figures in general but when my other Dinobots are so solidly constructed MP08 feels like the cheap unlicensed figure and stands out for the wrong reason. FIXED - tolerances are improved, tighter joints and sharper details.

That is one of the alternative heads, it comes with the standard one as well.

Most of the issues mentioned below (1,3,4,6) have been fixed on the oversize KO version. There is a 45 minute review (in chinese) of the figure that goes over every detail and change.

Even if some of the issues I have with the original mold have been fixed, it's still a KO of something that I already bought years ago.

FT and Giga Power may be unlicensed, but they're doing their own designs as opposed to outright stealing existing ones and I would sooner give one of them my cash.

DPrime,
Fair enough on Ramjet, Tracks is the only one of Kobayashi's recent run of figures I've pre-ordered and will be the last new MP mold I get from Takara for the forseeable future and I'm not even sure I'll keep that as reselling would help pay for another MMC Mirage.

One of the things to look out for with KO's is the branding on the packaging. Some of them say "Takasa Tony" instead of "Takara Tomy".

Back