Media Alien : Isolation post-game discusstion - SPOILERS AHOY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cokebabies

Super Freak
Reaction score
I figured we could hang out here for a bit, until the requisite time is up, then this can be merged back into the other thread.

I finally beat it tonight.

This might be the single most interesting game I've ever played. I say this because I had such a visceral and emotional reaction to playing it. I've had that with a few other games, but this was intense - but the other strange aspect is, I'd be hard-pressed to call it fun. The "never in control" aspect was a nice change of pace, but 25ish game hours of that (not counting re-loads) wears you down.

I also think the balance of the game's pace was off. The end - from the initial space walk on - felt like it dragged on way too long. Adding in some extra jump scares (even though I could sense each one coming, the trains all spooked me) and more cacophonous noise than usual, and it felt like it took hours despite probably being what - forty minutes-ish?

When you go to put on the suit, and see the Alien, I actually said out loud, "Oh come on" - it didn't feel like another threat, just the game taking longer to rap up.

And while I'm a sucker for a downer ending, I wish they didn't go with the somewhat easy to anticipate "it's on the last ship!" angle. Especially since you spent SO LONG in such horrible conditions, it felt like the game could offer you something.

Although I guess that something could be that ship's light at the very end - do we know who that is supposed to be?

I finally beat it tonight.

This might be the single most interesting game I've ever played. I say this because I had such a visceral and emotional reaction to playing it. I've had that with a few other games, but this was intense - but the other strange aspect is, I'd be hard-pressed to call it fun. The "never in control" aspect was a nice change of pace, but 25ish game hours of that (not counting re-loads) wears you down.

I also think the balance of the game's pace was off. The end - from the initial space walk on - felt like it dragged on way too long. Adding in some extra jump scares (even though I could sense each one coming, the trains all spooked me) and more cacophonous noise than usual, and it felt like it took hours despite probably being what - forty minutes-ish?

When you go to put on the suit, and see the Alien, I actually said out loud, "Oh come on" - it didn't feel like another threat, just the game taking longer to rap up.

And while I'm a sucker for a downer ending, I wish they didn't go with the somewhat easy to anticipate "it's on the last ship!" angle. Especially since you spent SO LONG in such horrible conditions, it felt like the game could offer you something.

Although I guess that something could be that ship's light at the very end - do we know who that is supposed to be?

Good question. Maybe the DLC will tell us.

But anyway, I agree. Pacing is an issue. Coming from being relentlessly hunted to evading groups of androids and humans; it can be odd.

I was at first disappointed by the abrupt ending. Had to go and replay those final minutes to see if I messed up somewhere, and then I saw the light (literally).

It's one of those "artistic" endings. Leaves it open to interpretation and to a sequel, should it do well in sales.

Also, I don't mind at all the length of the game. Call me old school, but I want my money's worth of gameplay. This game was just so good.

Gotta love the guys who get an Achievement by not killing humans in the game. By the end of it, you do kill every possible survivor that was still on station!

I really though that Samuels was the W-Y plant, sent to secure the Alien, and I thought Ripley and Taylor didnt know he was a Synthetic :lol.

There are two scenes I would call very memorable, one is when Samuels smashes up the Seegson Synthetic(that was cool, I thought he went all Ash for a sec), and then the other is the Seegson Synth turning that civilians head into raspberry jelly(OUCH!)
"You are becoming erratic" :rotfl

Favorite scenes, screen capped. Ton of jags. You guys using FXAA?

KvuoxsE.png

DKaE2Uj.png

yiUSaHM.png

Getting Prometheus on us.

FlSxa6k.png

Looks like a badge. God damn Giger and his creepy over sexualized art.

CEJ8CuB.png

Looks like trouble.

dGvTZG8.png

2DXAAhp.png

Weeeeeeeeeee!

NJ2VtIQ.png

Great captures!

That last "mission", escaping to the Torrens, really enjoys torturing Amanda! It's like Chrystal Dynamics directed the action in those final minutes.

Awesome pics, Kibagami!

I'm about halfway through my second time through the campaign. I'd say this game is a solid 8.5, and I'd go so far as a 9 if it weren't for the bugs I've encountered throughout. IGN's RYAN MCCAFFREY must be a total video game newb to score this a 5.9 "Mediocre" score, because this game is far, FAR from mediocre. Definitely the most unique gaming experience I've had in a long time, and has honestly soured my interest in your standard first-persion shooter entirely (I watched 30 seconds of Call of Duty Advanced Warfare gameplay yesterday and was already bored). Regarding the length of the game, obviously I can't see that as an issue given that I've opted to play through it a second time and am actually considering the season pass in order to play even more. Shave 6-8hrs out of this game and I'd have been convinced they held back half the game so they could charge me $30 for it as DLC; not the case now!

That said, I will say I could have done without the stretch in the middle of the game where it's just you against the androids and no aliens make an appearance; that was of little interest to me and could have been half as long (or perhaps it just took me twice as long as it should have because I didn't know where the hell I was supposed to go). And while the hive scene was extremely cool, I do kind of wish they'd stuck to their guns about their being only a single alien. That, and introducing multiple aliens, eggs and facehuggers without the characters or game addressing where the hell they've come from was a head-scratcher. At that point it felt like the game had decided it wasn't sure which movie it was trying to replicate; made me wonder if it wasn't a mandate by SEGA to push the game more toward Aliens in the 3rd act. In which case I feel they either shouldn't have gone that route, or gone balls-to-the-wall and thrown in a Queen as a finale. I kept expecting to get redirected down a hall and come face-to-face with an egg-laying queen (especially after the second time they sent you down to the hive), but it just never happened.

This game is well done. They did great at making an experience.

I think the reviewers in general hate stealth games in general. Or they suck at it.

Also, with your remark with the hive, it wouldn't have made sense to have just one alien. It would go against, the series in general and the nature of Weyland-Yutani (they're out there to harvest and study these things).

Yeah, in general, it is a head scratcher. I think they had one egg. And that was enough to create a hive. I'm assuming there's a queen out there to pump out the face-hugger making eggs. But it's like which came first, the chicken or the egg. Also, it was never explained clearly in the movies. It's a good question cause wasn't that the same situation in aliens. Newt's dad got pregnant and everything went to **** after that.

I think it was Angry Joe who went in-depth about the absence of a Queen and how that works along with a deleted scene that was added for the 'special edition' BluRay, where the Alien is seen to have preserved Dallas and (was it) Parker alive, presumably to serve as vessels for reproduction.

One more thing I want to add. The scene in Aliens where Ripley is shown the photo of a 65-ish year old Amanda... why are you believing the word of a Weyland-Yutani executive??? Guys, you should know better! The fact is that they could have entirely made that up for Ellen to believe. Amanda's real outcome is wide open.

I think it was Angry Joe who went in-depth about the absence of a Queen and how that works along with a deleted scene that was added for the 'special edition' BluRay, where the Alien is seen to have preserved Dallas and (was it) Parker alive, presumably to serve as vessels for reproduction.

One more thing I want to add. The scene in Aliens where Ripley is shown the photo of a 65-ish year old Amanda... why are you believing the word of a Weyland-Yutani executive??? Guys, you should know better! The fact is that they could have entirely made that up for Ellen to believe. Amanda's real outcome is wide open.

:lol :clap :clap

Good one. Didn't think about that. Even though they showed a picture of her, I don't think she could have confirmed.

Some very astute observations sir! :hi5:

Back