AH Black Cat Comiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feedback is Job One. "The hatch is somewhat strange"... could you tell me why? It'd really help down the road....

-AH!

Nothing strange about the hatch. Can't include the whole ceiling or else you would have to include the walls, and next thing you know you turned the thing into a Black Cat comiquette enclosed in a good sized room that would be approx. 19.5" by how many inches in width and depth wise. Price, size, and shipping would be a huge concern then.

I think it's smart how you incorporate little things like that into the design. More thought out then just a static pose that we get a lot of times with statues. Stand like a model and look pretty. Okay, they are trying to look pretty, but who would buy into Rosie O'Donnell or Star Jones in a super heroine costume?

Only complaint I had, and already mentioned before (which you agreed) was the table that the landry basket stands perched on, has the one leg. Also, it's not a perfect circle which is somewhat aesthetically distracting.

Nothing strange about the hatch. Can't include the whole ceiling or else you would have to include the walls, and next thing you know you turned the thing into a Black Cat comiquette enclosed in a good sized room that would be approx. 19.5" by how many inches in width and depth wise. Price, size, and shipping would be a huge concern then.

My thoughts exactly. I wanted each comiquette to be a 'frozen moment in time', but not an ACTION POSE!!!! We have enough statues of that, I think.

I wanted Black Cat to be in that sensual slither out of a hatch. I figured that all we'd need to 'read' the ceiling full of duct-work would be the hatch and the frame.

My only caveat is that you can see her fingertips from underneath, if you're looking up at her. I think that makes it look like she's holding up a frame. If her hands would be obscurred by the duct, you shouldn't be able to see anything, even if we are only IMPLYING the rest of the duct.

Also, not a caveat but a missed opportunity... I originally wantd the hatch to be about the size of a small pizza box. I wanted you to look at it and go "How the heck did she fit ALL THAT (point at her jubblies) through that tiny hatch???" I thought the mental image of her writhing & squirming her way as she oozes down out of a hatch a newborn baby would barely fit through would add a few 'sexy points' to the design.

You're a sick sick man. I mean sure everyone does it, but do you have to make it public? lol

oops. i was taught by this rather smelly old man on a park bench that it was ONLY suppossed to be done in public. my apologies.

My thoughts exactly. I wanted each comiquette to be a 'frozen moment in time', but not an ACTION POSE!!!! We have enough statues of that, I think.

I wanted Black Cat to be in that sensual slither out of a hatch. I figured that all we'd need to 'read' the ceiling full of duct-work would be the hatch and the frame.

My only caveat is that you can see her fingertips from underneath, if you're looking up at her. I think that makes it look like she's holding up a frame. If her hands would be obscurred by the duct, you shouldn't be able to see anything, even if we are only IMPLYING the rest of the duct.

Also, not a caveat but a missed opportunity... I originally wantd the hatch to be about the size of a small pizza box. I wanted you to look at it and go "How the heck did she fit ALL THAT (point at her jubblies) through that tiny hatch???" I thought the mental image of her writhing & squirming her way as she oozes down out of a hatch a newborn baby would barely fit through would add a few 'sexy points' to the design.

Honestly, that's why I love your AH! comiquette line. As you put it, these pieces are "a frozen moment in time" vs. the typical static action pose.

Also, I love how SS sells these for 125 US a pop. Considering the execution, sculpt, poses, size, and paint applications it's an amazing price. Makes you wonder why other companies like DST, GG, and DCD can't price their items more fairly. That GG Slave Leia, which is smaller than my Emma Frost Comiquette, while nice, has a MRSP of 180! Again, this isn't just GG but pretty much every company outside of SS.

This could explain why for the majority most of the collectibles I bought into come from SS.

Only complaint I had, and already mentioned before (which you agreed) was the table that the landry basket stands perched on, has the one leg. Also, it's not a perfect circle which is somewhat aesthetically distracting.

Yup, that was a LESSON LEARNED. I though I had conveyed my idea to Sideshow properly, and I learned a valuable lesson about communication.

The idea was, we're looking at a vignette (or scene) of Mary Jane finding Spidey's costume in the laundry. The only things we would sculpt would be the elements WITHIN the vignette. The edge of the vignette? The circular base of the statue. That was the plan. Mary Jane, the edge of the coffee table, all of that was supposed to reside in a 'column of information' that would end at the edge of the base.

Well, since I didn't spell that out, the base isn't big enough, and the table now looks wonky because it shoots out further. It should read kinda as if she was caught in a teleport beam and everything outside the beam was sheared off. Does that make sense?

Also, my plan was that it was a table with a single middle leg, and THAT part of the table was OUTSIDE the 'column of info'. I wanted the design to actually be with the basket and edge of table to be connected to MJ by the Spidey shirt. A 'frozen moment'. I thought it would be stable enough, but apparently during production the team at Sideshow realized it wouldn't hold.

Again, I learned a lot about communication on this one. We're learning from our mistakes!

-AH!

Also, I love how SS sells these for 125 US a pop. Considering the execution, sculpt, poses, size, and paint applications it's an amazing price. Makes you wonder why other companies like DST, GG, and DCD can't price their items more fairly. That GG Slave Leia, which is smaller than my Emma Frost Comiquette, while nice, has a MRSP of 180! Again, this isn't just GG but pretty much every company outside of SS.

Isn't $125 a swell price? We were VERY happy with the pricing.

As for the fabulous GG SLave Leia.... yes, she's smaller than Emma, but her breasts are the SAME SIZE! ;-) From the neck up, GG Slave Leia is a dead-on likeness of Carrie Fisher. From the neck down, she's a dead-on likeness of a HOOTERS waitress. ;-)

-AH!

Okay, Adam, whom do we smack at Sideshow to make that hatch smaller framed? That mind of yours is indeed the proper breeding ground for everything sexy! I wholeheartedly agree that making that hatch would bring a certain sexiness missing in the current prototype.

Since the cat's out of the bag (intended pun) with the artwork, will you show us the pic (with watermarks of course to protect the innocent) when you've done some color filling in Photoshop?

Yup, that was a LESSON LEARNED. I though I had conveyed my idea to Sideshow properly, and I learned a valuable lesson about communication.

The idea was, we're looking at a vignette (or scene) of Mary Jane finding Spidey's costume in the laundry. The only things we would sculpt would be the elements WITHIN the vignette. The edge of the vignette? The circular base of the statue. That was the plan. Mary Jane, the edge of the coffee table, all of that was supposed to reside in a 'column of information' that would end at the edge of the base.

Well, since I didn't spell that out, the base isn't big enough, and the table now looks wonky because it shoots out further. It should read kinda as if she was caught in a teleport beam and everything outside the beam was sheared off. Does that make sense?

Also, my plan was that it was a table with a single middle leg, and THAT part of the table was OUTSIDE the 'column of info'. I wanted the design to actually be with the basket and edge of table to be connected to MJ by the Spidey shirt. A 'frozen moment'. I thought it would be stable enough, but apparently during production the team at Sideshow realized it wouldn't hold.

Again, I learned a lot about communication on this one. We're learning from our mistakes!

-AH!

It makes sense concerning the beam part. In the Marvel universe that could have happened! It's not just the one leg, but from one angle I noticed the table isn't completely circular in diameter. I know it's being nitpicky, but you seem to be a perfectionist, as most artists are. I for one am. Anyway, I noticed that the one corner of the table has a sharp corner on it while the rest of it is perfectly rounded.

That was the part that I felt was mostly visually distracting.

Other then that this statue is amazing! Also, I loved your interview concerning the hostility and controversy behind the Mary Jane piece. You made a sound argument about how a lot of people will jump to conclusions before really looking into things more thorougly and precisely or educate themselves. Rather than making false assumptions, which happens more often than it should. You had made some great examples of where society has been at fault for that. Either way, I found it both funny and interesting at the same time.

I just can't remember where the article came from, but I read it a few months ago.

Okay, Adam, whom do we smack at Sideshow to make that hatch smaller framed? That mind of yours is indeed the proper breeding ground for everything sexy! I wholeheartedly agree that making that hatch would bring a certain sexiness missing in the current prototype.

Since the cat's out of the bag (intended pun) with the artwork, will you show us the pic (with watermarks of course to protect the innocent) when you've done some color filling in Photoshop?

I will!

And I think the hatch frame is committed; I don't think we can go back and tweak it. That would require re-sculpting her arms, shoulders, and hair, I fear...

-AH!

btw Not to sound like I don't appreciate the look of the Mary Jane comiquette. I think it's one of the best looking statues out there.

Just sounded like I was beating that piece up to no end. I like it a lot.

Back