Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series! Beware Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series!

Looks promising and I will definitely check it out!

However, ABC and Marvel should NOT push this show as another CSI or Law & Order:SVU or some other Spy Agency show like The Agency. They really need to embrace the roots it's coming from OR they will alienate the fans. They need to find a careful balance of appealing to casual television viewers and the fans.

If SHIELD strives to stand out on its own with the occasion MENTION of superheroes and villains. It will bomb. It will turn away the fans and unless it has some catchy storyline that draws in other viewers, it won't go well. From my best knowledge, shows like ENTERPRISE and SMALLVILLE took several seasons before they started including other familiar DC characters outside the normal cast.

It's key I think after the characters have been established to introduce some B and C-list heroes and villains like it was mentioned before. Even having a Superhero ON THE TEAM would create some interesting dynamics. Jessica Drew (Spider-woman) is a HUGE potential unless Marvel has plans for here in the future. Wendall Vaughn (Quasar) was also a SHIELD agent before becoming Quasar. John Wraith (head of Ultimate Weapon X project), Hank Pym (Unless there are film plans), etc.

AIM and remanents of HYDRA can be villain organizations.

Diversity blah, blah, blah.

I think there's some picket signs in the 1950s that could have used that as a slogan. :lol

However, ABC and Marvel should NOT push this show as another CSI or Law & Order:SVU or some other Spy Agency show like The Agency. They really need to embrace the roots it's coming from OR they will alienate the fans. They need to find a careful balance of appealing to casual television viewers and the fans.

I don't disagree, but I don't think we need to worry too much. I'm sure it'll be much more like Fringe or something like that, but with some added super hero/super powers.

If SHIELD strives to stand out on its own with the occasion MENTION of superheroes and villains. It will bomb. It will turn away the fans and unless it has some catchy storyline that draws in other viewers, it won't go well. From my best knowledge, shows like ENTERPRISE and SMALLVILLE took several seasons before they started including other familiar DC characters outside the normal cast.

It's key I think after the characters have been established to introduce some B and C-list heroes and villains like it was mentioned before. Even having a Superhero ON THE TEAM would create some interesting dynamics. Jessica Drew (Spider-woman) is a HUGE potential unless Marvel has plans for here in the future. Wendall Vaughn (Quasar) was also a SHIELD agent before becoming Quasar. John Wraith (head of Ultimate Weapon X project), Hank Pym (Unless there are film plans), etc.

AIM and remanents of HYDRA can be villain organizations.

Agreed. Obviously this show won't have the budget of a Marvel movie, but they need to do what they can to put in some interesting villains and the occasional hero. If its just them going after regular terrorists, like 24, this show will lose its luster quickly.

Things are quite different from the fifties. Diversity for diversity's sake is gratuitous and patronizing. This is a Whedon production which means the cast is going to expand, characters will be unexpectedly killed and some will likely be transformed into ancient gods with blue streaks in their hair. I can't wait to see what part J. August Richards plays in this.

Things are quite different from the fifties. Diversity for diversity's sake is gratuitous and patronizing. This is a Whedon production which means the cast is going to expand, characters will be unexpectedly killed and some will likely be transformed into ancient gods with blue streaks in their hair. I can't wait to see what part J. August Richards plays in this.

I was just going to bring this up...

And good post.

(in true Whedon fashion, I was GUTTED when that happened to Fred btw...)

Unless he can do a better job than his effort on Arrow, I hope it's no part at all. Seriously, it was like he read the script 5 minutes before filming.

Well, I was saying I was just surprised by the lack of it, not that I thought it was necessarily needed. I don't like it to be forced either, but it's just a bit surprising.

Well, I was saying I was just surprised by the lack of it, not that I thought it was necessarily needed. I don't like it to be forced either, but it's just a bit surprising.

250351-a-diverse-business-team-celebrate-their-succes-with-a-high-five.jpg

Why does it have to be diversity for the sake of diversity? Was it crucial to the plot for all but one of the characters to be white?

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but it does smack just a little of "White people to the rescue!" Being dismissive and posting "funny" pictures doesn't really dispel that.

I think it comes down to intent and what you read into a certain action. When the police show up to deal with an emergency I don't see white, black, etc, I see blue. Personally I won't be watching this show to see "white people come to the rescue", I'm watching a SHIELD TV show set in the Marvel Universe. I think it just shows how conditioned we have become to look for diversity and send up a red flag when its not there. If this is set in the US, the breakdown by race or ethnicity is anywhere between 72-83% "white", which means this "team" may be off by 1 person of "color". Maybe its just me, and I tend to be color blind. My mom was half native American, my dad was Irish, my nephew is half Japanese, I've dedicated my life to studying Chinese martial arts and philosophy and my best friends are a black guy, a Greek guy, and a gay woman.
I doubt they went into casting with requirements of race, ie we need these white people, since Ming Na's character was originally named Althea Rice. If by season 2, four of the white people have left, and are replaced with Eskimos I will still watch it as long as its good.

First footage!

[ame]https://youtu.be/pFZE3W1SF_Q[/ame]

I get everyone has a.d.d. these days but I'm really tired of these guys just flashing 2 second images that are blurred action sequences with a black out half way through like the camera got scared and closed it's eyes... Honestly if they didn't throw up the quarter second Agents of Shield at the end would you have any idea what you just watched. I'm tired of a 15 second trailer with 20 differant shots that make me feel like I'm just in the mind of a person having a seizure. :dunno

[ame]https://youtu.be/ySsw-6aetys[/ame]

Looks better now! Glad to see some superhero elements in the promo!

Black guy = Luke Cage?

I don't give a **** how they explain bringing Clark back. I'm just glad there's a way I can watch him every week. :lol

Back