Advice on choosing first Premium Format statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HammitChris

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I'm fairly new to the hobby...just got introduced to it last summer. I haven't purchased my first PF statue yet (I've come close on a few, but I'm a little gun shy due to cost). With that being said, I am on a budget and thus will have to choose my PF's wisely as I can't afford to PO every single one. I do have a couple of 1/6 scale Hot Toys figures, but that is about it. With all of the controversy about QC issues, PVC, prices, etc. What are some tips you all would recommend for choosing that first statue? What are some things you experience collectors look for in a piece? I mean I like a lot of the characters that they currently have, but there isn't really one that just jumps out and grabs me like I have to have it. I will probably only be able to afford maybe 1-2 statues a year. Sorry for the lengthy post and ignorance, like I said I'm new. Ones I'm currently intrigued by are: Iron Man Mark II 1/4 maquette (a little nervous due to the paint issues the Iron Patriot has had though), Classic Catwoman PF, Keaton Batman PF, T2 Battle Damaged T-800 PF, Daredevil PF, and the new upcoming Aquaman PF (even though we haven't gotten the full reveal). Thanks for your patience and advice!

P.S.-I love BruceCampblzChin's youtube channel is pretty cool...wanted to give him a shout out...pretty funny guy!

Same advice I'd give everyone. Buywhat YOU like....are you into comic characters or movie characters? Looking for male or female pieces? I only collect PFs, but don't have the ones you listed so I can't speak to their pros and cons, but just go after the characters you like the best.

I have Keaton Bats. It's a great piece with tremendous presence. If you really like it, I think you should get one.

Of that list I have Keaton and the T800 BD. I would say get a Keaton, although the T800 is good too. Just go through the threads for each individual piece you are thinking about and that should help you decide.

If you are concerned about the quality, I would avoid all the SSC IM pieces. Go for the 1/4 hot toys mark 43. Of the ones you listed Keaton PF is the way to go given you really want that character.

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning towards the Keaton, also intrigued by the Hulk comic PF and Maquette (however he looks a little cross-eyed in the preview pics). The Keaton base is AMAZING! Any chance we will get a Pfeiffer Catwoman PF?

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning towards the Keaton, also intrigued by the Hulk comic PF and Maquette (however he looks a little cross-eyed in the preview pics). The Keaton base is AMAZING! Any chance we will get a Pfeiffer Catwoman PF?

Be a man and buy what you like. Have fun with the rest, it's just a hobby and I never let anyone influence my collecting decisions. I'm buying the Marilyn Blitzway statue 'cause she's a beauty, I still love my old Bride and Frank, I have zero interest in Marvel and I love DC and make no apologies for it because it's what I like. Buy what YOU like and you will always enjoy your collection. :wave

Tough to pre-order anything recently, wait for inhand pictures. If you like what you see and there's few issues go for it.
I've got a MKII on reserve locally, no way I'm dropping a deposit until i see what actually ships to the customer.
Prototype pictures mean nothing... Unfortunately :(

Tough to pre-order anything recently, wait for inhand pictures. If you like what you see and there's few issues go for it.
I've got a MKII on reserve locally, no way I'm dropping a deposit until i see what actually ships to the customer.
Prototype pictures mean nothing... Unfortunately :(

Agreed. I have been suckered in by a good proto one too many times. Will only buy when I see it in hand these days. Way too much poor QC with Sideshow lately. But I can't wait to buy some new pfs if the production pieces turn out good.

I, too, am new to the PF side of collecting. I had no real interest because the 1/4 scale were too big for me to display, and I don't like the fact I can't pick the pose like with sixth scale figures. However, I did take the plunge with a Batman PF Exclusive on the secondary market. Its currently my only PF, but I have the 1/4 Batgirl and latest Arkham Joker on PO. The Batman PF was what changed my mind. I liked the look, and think the pose is good, and I'm a Batman fan. So although it goes against my reasons for avoiding PFs, this one appealed to me and I love it! I doubt I will continue after the other 2 arrive, unless it really hits the mark for me. As others have said, get what YOU want. If you are only buying with consideration of 'resale' value, you are in for some disappointment, as not all will increase in value. Case in point, my Batman EX PF was purchased NEW/never opened for $400 shipped a few months ago.

Be a man and buy what you like. Have fun with the rest, it's just a hobby and I never let anyone influence my collecting decisions. I'm buying the Marilyn Blitzway statue 'cause she's a beauty, I still love my old Bride and Frank, I have zero interest in Marvel and I love DC and make no apologies for it because it's what I like. Buy what YOU like and you will always enjoy your collection. :wave

I just looked up that Marilyn statue and it is a great looking piece! I've always been a MM fan. One of my favorite movies she made was "Some Like It Hot."

I, too, am new to the PF side of collecting. I had no real interest because the 1/4 scale were too big for me to display, and I don't like the fact Ib can't pick the pose like with sixth scale figures. However, I did take the plunge with a Batman PF Exclusive on the secondary market. Its currently my only PF, but I have the 1/4 Batgirl and latestArkham Joker on PO. The Batman PF was what changed my mind. I liked the look, and think the pose is good, and I'm a Batman fan. So although it goes against my reasons for avoiding PFs, this one appealed to me and I love it! I doubt I will continue after the other 2 arrive, unless it really hits the mark for me. As others have said, get what YOU want. If you are only buying with consideration of 'resale' value, you are in for some disappointment, as not all will increase in value. Case in point, my Batman EX PF was purchased NEW/never opened for $400 shipped a few months ago.

I like the PF's and the 1/6 scales both actually, but when a HT 1/6 that I like costs about as much as a PF, it makes me want to look more in the PF.

Great point. Its hard NOT to start looking at PFs when price is a factor. But I prefer the ability to dictate the pose so I'm still in the 1/6th scale camp overall. If its a character I really like, and they get the pose 'right' I'd likely jump on it.

Back