A very very unhappy Sideshow customer!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkArtist81 said:
I agree Mikey... I work at a Dr's office and deal with this everyday... When someone starts yelling and threatening me... I always end the call. :monkey2

I work in a bank as a teller and get the abuse up close and personal.
Service charges are all my fault, mistakes by their car loan company
my fault. The fact they can't balance their checkbooks my fault.
Their boss has not deposited their paycheck, my fault. With new privacy
laws my hands are also tied. People come in wanting to deposit to someone elses account, if they do not have the account numbers we can't even
tell them if the person has an account or not. It is better to protect the
customers right to privacy than give out information to a fraudster. If someone starts to become abusive, I take a step back (hard in a phone conversation) and alert a supervisor. I am not paid enough to take any abuse of any kind.

I personally have never had any problem with SS customer service.
In fact I have been in contact with then regarding an upcoming item
and have had no problems at all. Just my personal experience.

Chicky said:
...We hope that he will have a more positive purchasing experience with Gentle Giant in the future...

*cough* Blackhole Stormtrooper Bust *cough*

I do have one concern about the way this topic was handled. Let me start by saying that I have had nothing but great service from SST. However, they are a company, a quickly growing company, and they will have problems ... its unavoidable. Whether it be an irritable employee.. a careless packager with your precious Hulk/Spider Vs., etc. people are going to have bad experiences. And they will come here to voice them. Why do people have to instantly attack someone who has had a bad experience? Rather than discuss the issue, and offer advice, a lot of us turned this person's concerns into an opportunity to kiss major rear with the Sideshow brass.

Now, do I know this guy is telling the truth? No.. he could be lying his butt off. However, I also have no way of knowing if the Sideshow receptionist/order taker was/is lying. So, without proof either way, I would tend to believe the individual over the business. Because, no matter how much we like Sideshow... they are a company out to make money. And, every business practices spin-control. If this person really did recieve the treatment he claims.. actually being laughed at, do you honestly think Sideshow would admit it? No, they would be stupid to -- it would be a PR nightmare. In truth, both sides have a reason to lie. So, I think a forum like this is the perfect place to discuss something like this.

By bringing the issue here, 3 things happen:

1.) If it did happen, Sideshow realizes that they need to talk with/ reprimand their staff without actually having to admit they were wrong. It saves others future frustration without embarrassing SST.

2.) If it didn't happen.. well, nothing really happens other than a liar getting a bit of false bravado.

3.) Or, if its more a matter of wrongs committed on both sides, the two parties have a means to talk through it. We as customers also have a means to make our own decisions and develop our own impressions. I tend to believe the situation was along these lines.

But what happens if we don't bring issues like this to the forums? Well, in all honesty, Sideshow Toys customer service has a blank slate to do whatever they want. I love the company, but without forums and opinions to keep them in check, the wonderful treatment we love now might be MIA when the company is huge (relatively speaking) in the next 3 to 5 years. Never squash consumer dissent. You may end up under the boot the next time.

Once again, I'm not taking sides, but when Show73 posted his dilemma, he was basically calling Sideshow out and forcing Dusty and Chicky to defend themselves. Since we weren't involved and don't know the whole story, there's absolutely no way of knowing whose version of the story is true and whose isn't. This was a very specific incident where emotions obviously took over. And when emotions are involved, you get a Rashomon effect. And when that happens, nothing really gets resolved. You just have people airing out their dirty laundry for all to see.

DouglasMcc said:
Now, do I know this guy is telling the truth? No.. he could be lying his butt off. However, I also have no way of knowing if the Sideshow receptionist/order taker was/is lying. So, without proof either way, I would tend to believe the individual over the business. Because, no matter how much we like Sideshow... they are a company out to make money.
I'm not sure I understand this statement. You say that Show73 could be lying, and even though there's no proof either way, you think that Sideshow is the real liar because they're out to make money. Does that mean that every single time an unsatisfied customer has a problem with a company, the company is always lying because they're out to cover themselves? I don't think everyone is like Enron.

DouglasMcc said:
Why do people have to instantly attack someone who has had a bad experience? Rather than discuss the issue, and offer advice, a lot of us turned this person's concerns into an opportunity to kiss major rear with the Sideshow brass.

Looking back through this thread I didn't see anyone blatantly attack Show73 or turn this into a Sideshow love-fest. I think a lot of constructive comments were made... for both sides. But I don't think it helped to bring any type of resolution to the matter. Show73 still feels lied to, and I'm sure Sideshow feels that they did the right thing.

I know this is all after the fact, but I felt I had to comment.

DouglasMcc said:
I do have one concern about the way this topic was handled. Let me start by saying that I have had nothing but great service from SST. However, they are a company, a quickly growing company, and they will have problems ... its unavoidable. Whether it be an irritable employee.. a careless packager with your precious Hulk/Spider Vs., etc. people are going to have bad experiences. And they will come here to voice them. Why do people have to instantly attack someone who has had a bad experience? Rather than discuss the issue, and offer advice, a lot of us turned this person's concerns into an opportunity to kiss major rear with the Sideshow brass.

Now, do I know this guy is telling the truth? No.. he could be lying his butt off. However, I also have no way of knowing if the Sideshow receptionist/order taker was/is lying. So, without proof either way, I would tend to believe the individual over the business. Because, no matter how much we like Sideshow... they are a company out to make money. And, every business practices spin-control. If this person really did recieve the treatment he claims.. actually being laughed at, do you honestly think Sideshow would admit it? No, they would be stupid to -- it would be a PR nightmare. In truth, both sides have a reason to lie. So, I think a forum like this is the perfect place to discuss something like this.

By bringing the issue here, 3 things happen:

1.) If it did happen, Sideshow realizes that they need to talk with/ reprimand their staff without actually having to admit they were wrong. It saves others future frustration without embarrassing SST.

2.) If it didn't happen.. well, nothing really happens other than a liar getting a bit of false bravado.

3.) Or, if its more a matter of wrongs committed on both sides, the two parties have a means to talk through it. We as customers also have a means to make our own decisions and develop our own impressions. I tend to believe the situation was along these lines.

But what happens if we don't bring issues like this to the forums? Well, in all honesty, Sideshow Toys customer service has a blank slate to do whatever they want. I love the company, but without forums and opinions to keep them in check, the wonderful treatment we love now might be MIA when the company is huge (relatively speaking) in the next 3 to 5 years. Never squash consumer dissent. You may end up under the boot the next time.

I totally agree with you. That's what makes boards such as these a valuable asset to any company that bothers to pay attention to them. We would NEVER even attempt to shut down a thread that is discussing a valid complaint. Never. What would be the point of that? Actually, they are usually quite helpful in further explaining our policies on a more informal, 'face-to-face' level.

Even on our own site commenting area we approve all dissenters, unless they get too personal and start abusing our artists or staff by name (or use foul language). I think this thread provided valuable information to both parties involved. So cheers to everyone for keeping it civil :duff

SideshowDusty said:
I totally agree with you. That's what makes boards such as these a valuable asset to any company that bothers to pay attention to them. We would NEVER even attempt to shut down a thread that is discussing a valid complaint. Never. What would be the point of that? Actually, they are usually quite helpful in further explaining our policies on a more informal, 'face-to-face' level.

Even on our own site commenting area we approve all dissenters, unless they get too personal and start abusing our artists or staff by name (or use foul language). I think this thread provided valuable information to both parties involved. So cheers to everyone for keeping it civil :duff
You could be a diplomat Dusty.

P.S. That's a compliment. ;)

Batty said:
Once again, I'm not taking sides, but when Show73 posted his dilemma, he was basically calling Sideshow out and forcing Dusty and Chicky to defend themselves. Since we weren't involved and don't know the whole story, there's absolutely no way of knowing whose version of the story is true and whose isn't. This was a very specific incident where emotions obviously took over. And when emotions are involved, you get a Rashomon effect. And when that happens, nothing really gets resolved. You just have people airing out their dirty laundry for all to see.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. You say that Show73 could be lying, and even though there's no proof either way, you think that Sideshow is the real liar because they're out to make money. Does that mean that every single time an unsatisfied customer has a problem with a company, the company is always lying because they're out to cover themselves? I don't think everyone is like Enron.

Looking back through this thread I didn't see anyone blatantly attack Show73 or turn this into a Sideshow love-fest. I think a lot of constructive comments were made... for both sides. But I don't think it helped to bring any type of resolution to the matter. Show73 still feels lied to, and I'm sure Sideshow feels that they did the right thing.

I know this is all after the fact, but I felt I had to comment.

No, I was saying that in light of evidence proving guilt either way,I tend to go with the consumer. What reason does the consumer have to lie here? It won't get them back their money. Traffic here is much too small to hurt Sideshow. So, unless the person is just shamelessly crying out for attention, it is more likely that the company is lying. Why would Sideshow lie? Well, they really shouldn't need to.. even if is true. However, coming from a business background, logic doesn't always work in these situations. Sometimes the lies come as an expected response to something that wouldn't have been an issue if not for lies. Reminds me of why I got out of there and took a teaching job. I love Sideshow, and have had all the best of experiences. However, I do not know everyone who works there. I don't know that someone just got dumped and was pissed at the world. I don't know a receptionist hadn't just lost a loved one and was distracted. So many variables. Not sure if my logic makes sense... however, that's how I feel. I respect Sideshow for their reply to my message, at least it seems to imply they took the situation seriously.

I admit, maybe describing it as "attacking" took too much liberty. However, rather than discuss the topic, many people went almost instantly into "we love 'ya Sideshow" mode. Almost like a defensive mother who's child has just been brought home by the police after stealing a car: "No way MY Sideshow would ever do anything like that... he's a 5 star kid!!" :D

It wouldn't have been so bad if the praise were related to this situation... or at the very least was related to a similar instance. But most were not.

I do not want to sound like I am bashing Sideshow or the people here. Just pointing out what I saw from my perspective.

DouglasMcc said:
No, I was saying that in light of evidence proving guilt either way,I tend to go with the consumer. What reason does the consumer have to lie here? It won't get them back their money. Traffic here is much too small to hurt Sideshow. So, unless the person is just shamelessly crying out for attention, it is more likely that the company is lying. Why would Sideshow lie? Well, they really shouldn't need to.. even if is true. However, coming from a business background, logic doesn't always work in these situations. Sometimes the lies come as an expected response to something that wouldn't have been an issue if not for lies. Reminds me of why I got out of there and took a teaching job. I love Sideshow, and have had all the best of experiences. However, I do not know everyone who works there. I don't know that someone just got dumped and was pissed at the world. I don't know a receptionist hadn't just lost a loved one and was distracted. So many variables. Not sure if my logic makes sense... however, that's how I feel. I respect Sideshow for their reply to my message, at least it seems to imply they took the situation seriously.

I admit, maybe describing it as "attacking" took too much liberty. However, rather than discuss the topic, many people went almost instantly into "we love 'ya Sideshow" mode. Almost like a defensive mother who's child has just been brought home by the police after stealing a car: "No way MY Sideshow would ever do anything like that... he's a 5 star kid!!" :D

It wouldn't have been so bad if the praise were related to this situation... or at the very least was related to a similar instance. But most were not.

I do not want to sound like I am bashing Sideshow or the people here. Just pointing out what I saw from my perspective.

I totally understand. The great thing about this or any forum is that we all have our own perspectives and are allowed to voice our opinions.

I come from a business background myself. It wasn't until I changed careers that I realized how unhappy I was. When I read threads like this, it reminds me of those days and the old "me" comes out. I sometimes get carried away and have to remind myself that it's part of my past. :lol

When it comes down to it, I have a lot of respect for people who work with the public. It's not always easy.

It's not lying when you think you are telling the truth. Is it?

He says this, so it's the truth to him. They say that, it's the truth to them. That is where the majority of misunderstandings occur. One, other, or both believe they are telling the truth. I don't care to read back through the thread, but I didn't recall anyone mentioning lying. It was mostly venting of what the facts were according to.................

DouglasMcc said:
No, I was saying that in light of evidence proving guilt either way,I tend to go with the consumer. What reason does the consumer have to lie here? It won't get them back their money.

Blackmail and/or revenge. I knew I guy who would go round lodging false complaints with companies just because most customer relations departments have instructions to give free stuff away. A common one was to complain to the breweries and they would give out a free slab of beer. There are some pretty selfish people out there you know. Until I worked in retail - I didn't realise how scummy some people could be and what they would do to screw a few dollars out of people.

And if you make a threat to "spread it all over all the forums" and you don't get your way - then it will probably happen. Part of the anonymous nature of the forums - but in reality someone who isn't part of the community and then comes along sledging is probably going to have their comments disregarded pretty quickly.

Definitely not saying that that is going on - but MOST companies do try hard to satisfy their customers unless they are either a monopoly or a necessity (damn you Tel$tra!)

hm, I think I can say a few things here:

(1) If you slander or say "bad stuff" about a company and they can proove in some way that it affected their sales or business,
then you can get sued.. but that's in serious cases.
I once had a bad expeirience with a guy who wanted me to sculpt a head.
I told of it on the forums, and he threatened to sue.
Even though I doubt he'd have the money to do so, since the matter was small, I still gave in and deleted the threads, but at least the impact was left.

(2) I know for a fact , that if a person under 18 called customer service, the Customer Service Rep would DEFINATELY ask for an adult.
They're not allowed to talk with minors and I think it probably got out of hand when your brother refused?
If there was an older adult to immediate transfer to, then they wouldn't go as far as asking for Identity Proof.
Also, sending in the proof via Fax doesn't take too long, and can be cleared up pretty easily, if a parent or gaurdian might've taken charge.

I have some good memories of this: Once I called about a Western Union Bid Pay problem, one customer service HUNG up on me when she found out I was a minor.
Another one is, I called paypal once, and they locked my account almost immediately.
Its natural for the CS REp to do it, but I'd have to say paypal and western union have the worst service and holds.

ANyway, my two cents :D

Back