a deep question: Why do you collect ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewatcher

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Well personally I don’t know exactly why I’m collecting even what I collect, I got some predilection from characters like BOBAFETT, WOLVERINE, BATMAN, THE JOKER, THE STORMTROOPER, and for those character I by several figures in any formant 3 3 /4, 1/6, mini figures etc. but also I bought figures from several other characters like hawk man, flash, but they are secondary.
Maybe I still love the figures that I got when I was a child now I’m buying the transformers encore,myth clothes, the secret wars figures from marvel, MOTU etc.
Also I like to decorate my house and keep things that I considered valuable stuff.
Here where I live I don’t have any friend who collects as me so I feel quite estrange and I don’ certainly know why I spend so much money in this hobby, and I start now to talk in forums I been watching before to check figures and get information.
Forget the bad English and I send you a greeting from Granada Spain
:maul

Nostalgia of my deficient youth.

Last edited:
Ya lo dice el refrán, el q tiene un amigo en Graná, ni tiene amigo ni tiene ná. :rotfl

I like the looking forward to part, looking at specs and pics, then toyworld pics, scans and magazines, and talking about the figures here. It's cool to know there are other people as anal as I am...when the figure actually arrives, it's the icing on the cake. There are certain characters like Batman, Marvel characters, Arnold characters that I would just get all of, depending on the sculpt of course...I've become so picky in the last few years. McFarlane and NECA used to be the Everest of collecting for me, then I upgraded to Sideshow with the Bond figures, then made my first Hot Toys purchase with the Prison Break figures...now with the Marvel licence I am in heaven...just hoping HT gets the full DC licence too and finally gives me the 89 Bat and 78 Supes.

I ask that same question everyday.... I have no idea :dunno But itmakes me happy so I guess thats all that counts really.

i like statues a lot...i was searching years to find some good marvel statues but i could not find anything..now with sideshow i am very pleased..
who the hell can say no to marvel???me not...:D:D:D

It really is a deep question...

For me it is the possibility of having awesome representations of characters from movies, games, books, that I love.
And not only that, sometimes it's just the look of the figure itself that makes me want it.

It's a hobby with many different aspects. It starts with announcements and first pictures. Then the wait begins. Although I can be quite the impatient person, I can bear the wait for a figure quite well.
It's just a fun time, thinking about the possibilities of the figure, how to pose it. It's all just building anticipation for the day the figure finally arrives.

And when that day comes, the hobby continues to be exciting. I collect poseable figures so I love it to give them a pose that gives them personality. And I love to change poses after a while. That keeps the figures refreshing.

I find it also relaxing to look at my collection. Sometimes I just stand there and watch at them, really enjoying how awesome they look!

I think this is the best way to explain why I collect :D

For me I collect from three genres: Aliens, Predator and Terminator. I grew up watching these films scene by scene and wanting to be the main character :lol Also I love movie monsters :D

I think it's escapism. Like it was said already, it's memories of youth, especially if you don't look fondly back on it. For me, it's also a feeling of loneliness. I was an only child growing up, and my parents were uber-religious and limited who I could be friends with to people in the church, who were, of course, nutsos who never did anything fun and just talked about God. Snore. So I spent most of my time alone, collecting, playing with my toys, it gave me an escape from that lonely feeling. Now, I think it's a habit that's tied to that being alone thing for me. When I'm in a relationship, the collecting takes a back seat to life and I forget all about it. When it ends, I jump back on the bandwagon and pick up all the stuff I missed along the way.

I had a happy childhood and I loved being an only child, so it's definitely not wrapped up in childhood issues - I've simply loved fictional characters from the get go. I used to pretend my barbie and ken dolls were movie and tv characters, back when so much of this stuff wasn't being made. It led to me collecting it when it did start to get made.

I also like to have things I love around me.

For me it is the possibility of having awesome representations of characters from movies, games, books, that I love.
And not only that, sometimes it's just the look of the figure itself that makes me want it.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I am a movie nut and have natually always collected something since I was a kid. I must admit though, figures/statues are a helluvalot more rewarding then say trading cards.

its always nice to see my favorite comic book characters from 2d to 3d form.

1) They keep me happy
2) Its a good balance of space, scale modelling and posing action figures
3) Figures generally hold their value
4) I love these characters and love having representations of them

Back