17 Again

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yep, I saw it. I love these fantasy body-switching comedies and I like the lead actresses- Leslie Mann and Michelle Trachtenberg. And Efron did a decent job - he's got real comic timing and he's fine as an actor.

But I wanted to post about what's wrong about the film - and specifically I'm talking about the "nerd" character. Some filmmakers are nerds and they feel real in films by Apatow et al. In 40-Year-Old Virgin we get a sense that Apatow knows the world and loves it. Not so in 17 Again. The nerd character was picked on in high school and as an adult has become a software millionaire. But his apartment is decorated solely with Star Wars stuff and generic prop stuff that doesn't feel like they did much research at all. Nothing says NERD like a lifesize Darth Vader or a bed shaped like a landspeeder - but there aren't any other types of nerdifacts besides SW in the whole huge house. He even has the Hasbro Star Wars 12".

In another scene he and a character are speaking Elvish - sounds authentic, but in the subtitles they say "so how long have you spoken Elve?" Not even Elvish or the funnier "how long have you spoken elf?" but "Elve".

If you're going to make fun of a group of people, at least get it right.

If you're going to make fun of a group of people, at least get it right.

The audience this movie is targeted towards go mainly to see Zac Efron. They don't care if nerds are portrayed accurately like the 40-Year-Old Virgin crowd. And the fact that they tried to pass Efron off as a teenaged Matthew Perry made this unrealistic to begin with.

Dave Stephen = Nerd

Don't pick on your cousin.

:lol

All's good as long as it involves stuffing. :drool

Shai and his favorite cousin:
arrested-development-maeby-and-george-michael-cousins-wed.jpg

The audience this movie is targeted towards go mainly to see Zac Efron. They don't care if nerds are portrayed accurately like the 40-Year-Old Virgin crowd. And the fact that they tried to pass Efron off as a teenaged Matthew Perry made this unrealistic to begin with.

Yep pretty much sums it up, it would be nice if they portrayed us in a somewhat more reallisitic light but yeah what you gonna do.

If I had any concern over this movie I might care how nerds were portrayed in it... but I think all involved with this project should be ashamed, very ashamed.

They should have spent a few days at SDCC, you could gain a lifetimes worth of knowledge on nerds there.

Or just hang out here for a few days.

This movie theme is nearly as played out as that of Groundhogs day. Im just waiting for the "I'm a kid again and reliving the same day over and over" movie that we all know is coming!

That being said I still enjoy the "Big" like and "Groundhogs Day" like movies if they are done well. Not sure about this movie, but I have to say that from the promos I was fairly impressed by Efron...which is saying a LOT because I hate the whole teen heart throb thing. After watching "Friends" for the entire run of the show I find myself very aware of Matthew Perry manorisms and reactions. Surprisingly, it seems to me that Efron captured them pretty well! His reactions, and movements were most definately characteristic of Perry.

Back