12 shot dead at movie theater

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are ok with ownership. Would they agree with posters here who say that someone with a gun would have saved the day and shot thus guy without harming anyone else? How could they say that without knowing this persons shooting skills. There are guys here who say they could have shot the guy. 600 yards away in the smoke with a back hand shot and hit him right between the eyes. Sorry but I'm not trusting my family's life to a cod 15 year old wanna be with a gun. You ask any cop about a dark, smokey, gas filled room with people running around...they will say it's most difficult situation.
Actually yes, most of them do say that a person with a CCW could have put a stop to this. These same people will say that civilians that regularly shoot are as good or better then many of the cops they know. Some of you mistakenly think that just because someone is a cop that they are masters of shooting. That is far from the truth.:pray:

I don't think there's anything wrong with owning a gun...it's just that most people simply aren't responsible enough.

A few months ago I was watching the news and some young couple with their three-year-old kid stopped at a gas station (or wherever). They had a hand gun with them and decided to hide it under the car seat so no one would see it and steal it while they went in the gas station.

The three-year-old somehow grabs the gun and shoots him/herself...dead.

That's not some rare incident either. You hear about stuff like this all the time.

I just don't understand how a complete ____ing moron like that can be allowed the ownership of a gun.

A distant friend of mine was actually shot in the head and killed a few years ago because he and another kid were messing around with a shotgun that his parents just left loaded laying in the closet. The parents weren't home.

If I ever decided to own a gun someday, I would be completely responsible with it. The problem is that MANY people won't and aren't. And because of that...I don't think they should be allowed to own them.
I think whatever process you go through to obtain a gun should be far more intense and organized. More thorough.

I agree with you for the most point but in your examples those people weren't responsible enough to be parents, let alone gun owners. How many parents leave their kids in the car on a hot day, or home alone while they go out and get drunk or high? It has nothing to with guns, but people not equip to be parents.

No. I honestly on my life, my wife's life Andy baby's life I had no idea. He said deaths. He didn't clarify it why would you classify who dies? It's still a death. To classify it would throw the whole argument out the window.

133928633366.jpg

That's a whole different discussion. But to start you should need a background check. Most gun shows don't require it. Second, if you want to carry you should pass a safety class. Just like a driving test. Third, you should have to update it yearly, I don't want an 80 year old who can't see waving a pistol around. And if you buy a gun you must buy a child lock. Even if you don't have kids. I don't think those are unreasonable expectations.
There are a lot more states that require a back groundcheck than those that don't. Pa. requires one. You can do face to face sales with people privately but any dealers at gun shows, Walmarts, Cabelas, Gander Mountains or any FFL requires a background check

If I ever decided to own a gun someday, I would be completely responsible with it.
Please find a gun range and rent something and/or take a concealed weapons training class before buying anything.

The problem is that MANY people won't and aren't. And because of that...I don't think they should be allowed to own them.
I definitely agree with the responsible part, but at what part should the government draw the line? Did anyone else laugh at the N.Y. soda limit that happened last month? Because people can't control themselves and limit their sugar intake the government decides they'll regulate it. I know these are severe extremes, but because people are obese and can't' control their impulses the government bans Super Gulps?? What's next?

I think whatever process you go through to obtain a gun should be far more intense and organized. More thorough.
This I disagree with. I can only speak on behalf of my state, but for handguns and rifles of a certain length there is a mandatory 3 day wait for a background inspection. Would it really matter if it was a 10 day or 15 day wait? A person such as Jason Holmes had no criminal background, had a higher level of education, would not raise any red flags other than suddenly taking an interest in shooting.

Well, you begin with a tragedy and you end up with one random nutball swearing on his unborn child that hes not stupid and really did misunderstand someones post.

Looks like an average night on these forums. :dunno

I love how everyone says that a gun in your home can provide adequate protection. I have a shotgun in my closet but if someone kicks open my door while I am watching TV I am screwed. The only way it would work out for me is if they had trouble getting in and I had time to run to my closet and grab the thing.

And now that I have a son I keep it unloaded and the shells in a separate location. So I would have to take the time to load it before I could use it.

And besides, how many children have killed themselves with their parents guns? And how many people have murdered their spouses or friends when enraged because they had the gun available?

I am not advocating completely taking away guns, but we should make it at least as hard as it is to get a license or certification. It's far too easy to get them. We need tighter controls.

If I have to jump through a million hoops, take tests, be tested physically and mentally, and pay hundreds of dollars to teach children.... I think people should have to do the same at the very least if they want to own a weapon.
My gun is on my hip at all times except when I sleep. When I sleep it is tucked into my boot for easy access.

Our founding fathers were talking about the people having at their disposal the same kind of firearms that were used at the time. Your ignorance is showing with the sarcasm you are using about firearms. You make mockery of tyrannical governments and yet fail to realize it is happening now.

Not my founding fathers...

Rate of Gun Homicide per 100,000 People (from gunpolicy.org):

U.S.A 2.98
Can .5
France .23
Australia .1
UK .03

All democratic nations with gun regulations-- only one continues to point to an almighty second amendment as if their own government (which is itself The People) were scheming to dominate them as a former world superpower attempted to dominate a bunch of farmers in one of their colonies... The types of guns that can be purchased by the average citizen are insane. Ignorance is indeed bliss... It's a shame that some are too busy screaming about perceived enemies in the dark to see the direction that our society is heading in... I'm not afraid of my government... my law enforcement... my military... but I am afraid of that introverted socially inept (thanks internet) loner who has access to semi-automatics, glocks, gas grenades, and all types of high-death toll weapons who wants to strike back at normal people for his perceived slights.

When does a hunter ever use an AR-15 assault rifle?...

It's a terrible tragedy.

The larger quesstion is why do Americans love guns sooo much? Soooo much that weve decided that the odd massacre (ie Columbine, Gabby Gifford, Batman) outweighs the interest of public safety. Collectively, we as a society have said we are willing to deal with the occasional mass shooting, rather than enactinig pragmatic gun safety laws.

Because we're aware of the necessity of being able to defend ourselves against those who hold contempt for our way of life, and would use the same kind of force to eradicate it, if they thought they had a chance.

Americans don't like the idea of giving them the chance, and they're proud enough to actively prevent it.

. Would you trust a stranger to drive your infant home? Would you trust a stranger to shoot around your baby in the dark?
Your user name is CSi so u must a big shot jack bauer home security guy. Since you are such a marksmen, mind sharing your real name and accomplishments in shooting. My wife works for homeland security, she can see if you've won any awards.

There is a bill here in Virginia to allow 8 year olds to carry guns to school. Is that too young for you?

No. I honestly on my life, my wife's life Andy baby's life I had no idea. He said deaths. He didn't clarify it why would you classify who dies? It's still a death. To classify it would throw the whole argument out the window.

Entertainer of the night

The types of guns that can be purchased by the average citizen are insane. Ignorance is indeed bliss...
This is subjective. Any kind of gun can kill a person, but it ultimately takes another person to pull the trigger.

I'm not afraid of my government... my law enforcement... my military...
I'm not either, but the 2nd Amendment is there should that ever change. That's the beauty of it. We don't need it, until "they" try to take it away.

but I am afraid of that introverted socially inept (thanks internet) loner who has access to semi-automatics, glocks, gas grenades, and all types of high-death toll weapons who wants to strike back at normal people for his perceived slights.
I am too, but someone can still kill you with a knife/scissors/car/pillow.

When does a hunter ever use an AR-15 assault rifle?...
Whenever they feel like it?

It's a terrible tragedy.
Indeed it is.

Nope.. I respect that. And if you are what you say you are, you should be furious with this guy..not defending him and his right to buy guns. My boss shoots every weekend. I get it, it's a hobby. But when someone buys an ak47, shotgun and 2 pistols questions should be asked. If the gun seller had mentioned something tithe cops maybe this would have never happened. I would never take guns out of responsible owners. The question is how to we determine who is responsible? Most people here don't want any background check. I think that's scary.
I've never once defended this guy. I take great umbrage that people compare me to this guy. Guess what? I have 2 handguns, a shot gun, and an AR-15 rifle, just like this guy. I'm pretty sure that this guy had to have back ground checks done, just like I did. You're calling this guy a psycho for having the exact same things I have. I don't take to kindly people calling me a psycho. Am I going to "lose it"? Absolutely not because I'm not a psycho like this guy is.

A hunter doesn't.

A minuteman does. The Second Amendment was not written to protect hunter's rights.

Minuteman- An armed man pledged to be ready to fight on a minute's notice just before and during the Revolutionary War in the United States.

Is the Revolutionary War still going on? Is the threat of a British invasion still a hot topic? Does the US have a military? The US has a military budget of approx. 700+ billion... The country that's even close to that is China with over 140 billion... I think your military should be able to handle security for the next few decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back