1/6th scale Robby the Robot from X-Plus ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cool tip from Phantom11 on the Triad boards:

HLJ lists the X-Plus 12" scale Robby as a Medicom product with a 23,000 yen price. THey also have a 5% discount if you pre-order by Dec 14th. This puts it at about $240 + shipping.

https://www.hlj.com/product/MED00719

So, yeah...I caved :D Anyone else?

I'm tempted. Is HLJ safe to order from? A good reputation, I mean?

Sean

I'm tempted. Is HLJ safe to order from? A good reputation, I mean?

Sean

Definitely...I've ordered from them probably a dozen times over the last 6 or 7 years. Never had an issue. The few times I have seen someone have a snag with their order, I've only heard good things about their customer service.

They are one of the few Japan-based dealers I feel safe dealing with.

The external robot part looks really cool (shame it doesn't light up though) but it looks good.

Can someone explain to me why there's a man inside it though? I mean it's supposed to be a robot.... right? so what the hell?

The external robot part looks really cool (shame it doesn't light up though) but it looks good.

Can someone explain to me why there's a man inside it though? I mean it's supposed to be a robot.... right? so what the hell?

My assumption is that they are trying to replicate that oiriginal prop was just a man in a suit. As was pointed out with the Godzilla examples above, it's been done before.

Not really a feature I'm excited for. I'm just happy it's a 1/6th Robby.

Well, Sideshow has this up, but it's just too much for my blood. Seems it does light up though. Not many left so make sure if you want it to hurry!

Sideshow Collectibles is proud to present the Robby the Robot 1:6 scale figure by X PLUS. Robby the Robot stands over 13 inches high and features light and sound effects (AAA battery, not included). Each Robby the Robot includes an articulated, dressed action figure. Packaged in a full color window box, the Robby the Robot figure is an outstanding addition to any display.

I'm glad it has the light and sound effects, and the height should be about right with most 1/6th scale figures. Sideshow's price is a bit much though...I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the dollar's value vs. the yen doesn't do a nosedive right before this comes out. HLJ is still a much better way to go price-wise.

So why is Sideshow charging $420 (which is insane) when HLJ has it for $240? Is that a typo on Sideshow's part?

Definitely...I've ordered from them probably a dozen times over the last 6 or 7 years. Never had an issue. The few times I have seen someone have a snag with their order, I've only heard good things about their customer service.

They are one of the few Japan-based dealers I feel safe dealing with.

How is the shipping?

So why is Sideshow charging $420 (which is insane) when HLJ has it for $240? Is that a typo on Sideshow's part?

My guess is MSRP + markup. Sideshow tends to be one of the more expensive places to purchase things from, and sticks pretty close to MSRP. Additionally, they also have to import this. HLJ is offering pre-orders at a discount just up until a certain date. They're also priced (somewhat) competetively in the Japanese.

The price has also fluctuated a bit for Robby. The first ad I linked showed a MSRP of 30,300 yen (about $340 USD). The first preorder creecher linked to shows a price of 27,170 yen (about $306 USD). HLJ shows their normal price as 23,000 yen ($259) with a 5% preorder discount for 21,850 yen ($237 USD). And of course...Sideshow has him listed at $430 :sick

Given that HUGE price gap...yeah, I'll pay the extra for shipping to get him from HLJ with the preorder discount. As for EMS shipping, I'm expecting about $40-$50 from Japan based on the weight and box size that Sideshow has listed for Robby.

Thanks for the info :duff

I may just bite the bullet and order from HLJ then... I've wanted a Robby the Robot for a long time; can't imagine a cooler looking one than this.

A cool tip from Phantom11 on the Triad boards:

HLJ lists the X-Plus 12" scale Robby as a Medicom product with a 23,000 yen price. THey also have a 5% discount if you pre-order by Dec 14th. This puts it at about $240 + shipping.

https://www.hlj.com/product/MED00719

So, yeah...I caved :D Anyone else?

UPDATE: HLJ now has an order stop on Robby. They have sold out of the stock they expect to receive. I have seen them open items back up for ordering if they are sure they can secure more, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

This is an amazing looking Robby. I have the old Masudaya one, so I am set, but this one looks pretty darned cool! Wonder if they are gonna do a Robot from Lost in Space now. I need that one.
Cool figure though. Best of luck to those after it. Post pics!
(And get a nice Altaira for him!)

Cool beans...The 'Order Stop' status has been removed :)

HLJ also adjusted their early bird 5% discount pricing to last until Dec 31st.

Back