1/6 UJINDOU UD9003 British SAS Officer Blair “Paddy” Mayne (1942)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jock Lewes: "Where's Mayne? You were supposed to bring him."

David Stirling: "Mayne says he's going to Burma to fight the Japanese."

Jock Lewes: "We're not at war with Japan yet."

David Stirling: "No, if Paddy's going we will be quite soon."

:lol

I'll have to watch this one!

It's a lot of fun.

I've finished the second episode now. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. There's a core of truth in there, but it's told with humour, a healthy dose of AC/DC, and Dominic West in drag...

vlcsnap-2022-11-02-12h05m31s041.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-11-02-12h07m47s162.jpg

:lol

I've been struggling with posing Paddy since the beginning. The soles of his boots are very smooth and slippery which doesn't help, and he's got the long ankle extensions I made from pen tops.

I gave up trying to fully display the flare pistol and holstered it. Switched the Thompson to his right hand and tried to make him look a bit more relaxed.

100_2848.JPG
100_2849.JPG

100_2856.JPG
100_2859.JPG

Love the pose.

Great idea to add the dog and the monkey onto the display shelf. Great little touch.

Thanks. :)

I've got a lot of 1/6 dogs, and that was the closest to his pet dog:

409734-SAS-Blair-Mayne-2.jpg

Unfortunately it was the dog that was shot in 1941:

Keyes' diary makes it clear that Mayne was brought before the divisional commander, Brigadier Rodwell, on 23 June, for assaulting Napier, the second-in-command of his battalion. Mayne had a grudge against Napier, who had not taken part in the Litani raid, and who, according to a serving member of 11 Commando, had shot Mayne's pet dog while Mayne had been away. Mayne was attached to his pet (there is a famous photo of him carrying a dog on his shoulders), and was furious about this.

View attachment 601114

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy...obert Blair "Paddy,Special Air Service (SAS).
http://www.irishmasonichistory.com/lt-col-robert-blair-paddy-mayne-dso-freemason.html

Brief wartime biography:

In March 1939 Mayne joined the Territorial Army in Newtownards. After training with the Queen's University Officer Training Corps he received a commission in the 5th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, Royal Artillery. In April 1940 he transferred to the Royal Ulster Rifles. Following Churchill's call to form a "butcher and bolt" raiding force following Dunkirk, Mayne volunteered for the newly formed 11 (Scottish) Commando. He first saw action in June 1941 as a lieutenant with 11 Commando during the Syria–Lebanon Campaign, successfully leading his men during the Litani River operation in Lebanon against the Vichy French Forces.

Mayne's name was recommended to Captain David Stirling by his friend Lt. Eoin McGonigal, a fellow officer of No. 11 (Scottish) Commando, and an early volunteer for the Special Air Service (SAS) – then known simply as the Parachute Unit. It is widely believed that Mayne was under arrest for hitting his commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Geoffrey Charles Tasker Keyes when Stirling met him. This story is untrue. A hand-written entry in Keyes' personal diary proves conclusively that he was not at the officer's mess of No. 11 (Scottish) Commando at Salamis on Cyprus on the evening of 21 June 1941, the date on which Mayne was accused of beating up a fellow officer, Major Charles Napier. Keyes had stayed the night elsewhere, and arrived at Salamis the following day, 22 June 1941, when the trouble was already over. Keyes states in his diary that he conducted an investigation and found Mayne responsible.

Keyes' diary makes it clear that Mayne was brought before the divisional commander, Brigadier Rodwell, on 23 June, for assaulting Napier, the second-in-command of his battalion. Mayne had a grudge against Napier, who had not taken part in the Litani raid, and who, according to a serving member of 11 Commando, had shot Mayne's pet dog while Mayne had been away. Mayne was attached to his pet (there is a famous photo of him carrying a dog on his shoulders), and was furious about this. Keyes' diary records that, on the evening of 21 June, after drinking heavily in the mess, Mayne waited by Napier's tent and assaulted him when he returned. Keyes also records in his diary that Mayne was dismissed from 11 Commando the following day, 23 June, but does not say that he was arrested.

From November 1941 through to the end of 1942, Mayne participated in many night raids deep behind enemy lines in the deserts of Egypt and Libya, where the SAS wrought havoc by destroying many enemy aircraft on the ground. Mayne pioneered the use of military jeeps to conduct surprise hit-and-run raids, particularly on Axis airfields. It was claimed that he had personally destroyed up to 100 aircraft.

His first successful raid at Wadi Tamet on 14 December 1941, where aircraft and petrol dumps were destroyed, helped keep the SAS in existence, following the failure of the previous initial raid behind enemy lines. For his part in the Tamet raid Mayne was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO). He also received a mention in despatches on 24 February 1942.

Mayne's official report on the Tamet raid notes:

The following damage was done on or in the vicinity of the aerodrome:

(a) Bombs were placed on 14 aircraft. (b) 10 aircraft were damaged by having instrument panels destroyed. (c) Bomb and petrol dumps were blown up. (d) Reconnaissance was made down to the seafront but only empty huts were found. (e) Several telephone poles were blown up.

(f) Some Italians were followed, and the hut they came out of was attacked by sub-machine gun and pistol fire and bombs were placed on and around it. There appeared to be roughly thirty inhabitants. Damage inflicted unknown.

Mayne took part in the most successful SAS raid of the desert war when, on the night of 26 July 1942, with eighteen armed jeeps, he and Stirling raided the Sidi Haneish Airfield. They avoided detection, destroyed up to 40 German aircraft and escaped with the loss of only three jeeps and two men killed. The regular Army wanted to disband the SAS but the success helped keep the critics at bay.

Following Stirling's capture in January 1943, 1st SAS Regiment was reorganised into two separate parts, the Special Raiding Squadron (SRS) and the Special Boat Section (the forerunner of the Special Boat Service). As a major, Mayne was appointed to command the Special Raiding Squadron and led the unit in Sicily and Italy until the end of 1943. In Sicily, Mayne was awarded a Bar to his DSO. The official citation reads as follows:

On 10 July 1943, Major Mayne carried out two successful operations, the first the capture of CD battery the outcome of which was vital to the safe landing of 13 Corps. By nightfall SRS had captured three additional batteries, 450 prisoners, as well as killing 200 to 300 Italians. The second operation was to capture and hold of the town of Augusta. The landing was carried out in daylight – a most hazardous combined operation. By the audacity displayed, the Italians were forced from their positions and masses of stores and equipment were saved from enemy demolition. In both these operations it was Major Mayne's courage, determination and superb leadership which proved the key to success. He personally led his men from landing craft in the face of heavy machine-gun fire. By this action, he succeeded in forcing his way to ground where it was possible to form up and sum up the enemy's defences.

In January 1944 Mayne was promoted to lieutenant colonel and appointed commanding officer of the re-formed 1st SAS Regiment. He subsequently led the SAS with great distinction through the final campaigns of the war in France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Norway, often campaigning alongside local resistance fighters including the French Maquis. In recognition of his leadership and personal disregard for danger while in France, in which he trained and worked closely with the French Resistance, Mayne received the second Bar to his DSO. The official citation stated:

Lt-Col. R.B.Mayne DSO has commanded 1 SAS Regiment throughout the period of operations in France. On 8 August 1944, he was dropped to Operation Houndsworth base, located west of Dijon, in order to co-ordinate and take charge of the available detachments of his Regiment and co-ordinate their activities with a major Airborne landing which was then envisaged near Paris. He then proceeded in a jeep in daylight to motor to the GAIN base making the complete journey in one day. On the approach of Allied Forces, he passed through the lines in his jeep to contact the American Forces and to lead back through the lines his detachment of twenty jeeps landed for Operation WALLACE. During the next few weeks, he successfully penetrated the German and American lines on four occasions in order to lead parties of reinforcements. It was entirely due to Lt-Col.Mayne's fine leadership and example, and his utter disregard for danger, that the unit was able to achieve such striking successes.

During the course of the war he became one of the British Army's most highly decorated soldiers and received the DSO with three Bars, one of only seven British servicemen to receive that award four times during the Second World War. Additionally, the post-war French Government awarded him the Legion of Honour and the Croix de guerre.

The dates for his promotions here don't entirely tally with the history above, since they have him commissioned in February 1939, prior to joining the Territorial Army:

Promotions:

February 27th 1939: commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant;
December 2nd 1942: Captain (war sub);
December 21st 1942: Major (temporary);
April 7th, 1944 Major (war sub);
April 1946: Lieutenant-Colonel (temporary).

Blair Mayne's actual uniform and medal ribbons (the parachute wings differ to Ujindou's):

View attachment 601116

Most of the awards are post 1942, and some weren't even instituted until 1945.

To set the figure as 1942, or up to July 1943 (before he received the first bar to his DSO) only a small part of Ujindou's medal ribbon strip needs to be used.

Just need to cut the strip and retain the short blue/long red/short blue section for the DSO, which is visible in two of these black and white photos:

View attachment 601121

It's the top one here. minus the bars:

View attachment 601117

With the rank, since he only has the pip and crown for a Lieutenant Colonel, the only option is to lose the pips and have him as a Major, narrowing the figure's timeframe to December 2nd 1942 to July 1943 (though that's dependent on when he actually applied the bars to the ribbon!)

View attachment 601206

The first episode took a little while to click, but I've now finished the fourth and am loving SAS: Rogue Heroes!

Paddy may be far too short, and it may not follow the history exactly (though in some cases there's more than one version of events anyway), but it's really well made and acted.

A quick Google for news on a second season brought a positive result:

There’s A Lot More SAS Rogue Heroes In The Future, According To Its Creator​

by Sophie McEvoy
November 1, 2022

Steven Knight said he has a lot more planned for the WWII drama.

Written and executive produced by the celebrated creator of Peaky Blinders, Steven Knight, SAS Rogue Heroes has captivated viewers with its unique spin on the retelling of how the British Army's Special Air Service was formed during the height of World War Two. The six-part series is adapted from Ben Macintyre's novel of the same name, charting the early success of the SAS through the show's stars Connor Swindells, Jack O'Connell, Alfie Allen, Sofia Boutella, and Dominic West. But will there be a season 2 of SAS Rogue Heroes?

According to Backstage, a second season of SAS Rogue Heroes has already been green-lit. Bustle has reached out to the BBC rep for confirmation, and I will update you when I hear back, but for now it looks like more SAS Rogue Heroes are on the horizon, with Knight telling LADbible that there will be at least three more seasons.

"We're gonna take it to after the end of the Second World War and then see what happens, because the story just keeps [...] going," Knight said on a Zoom call with the rest of the cast, who seemed surprised and elated with the news. "Obviously the war keeps going and it just gets more and more incredible," Knight continued, adding that they may "break away and do Colditz as well." (Colditz is another book by Macintyre, which tells the story of a group of British officers held captive in a Nazi German gothic castle as they plan their escape.)

Having seen Peaky Blinders' cultural impact, Knight feels that SAS Rogue Heroes will have a similar response. And with the series already receiving rave reviews from publications like Metro, The Guardian, and The Telegraph, that certainly seems to be the case. "I don't think there's been anything like this on TV ever, really. And it's getting such a great response from people who have seen it," Knight said. "I think it will have the equivalent effect on the culture that Peaky had. I think people will be really drawn to it.”

https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/sas-rogue-heroes-season-2-steven-knight-plans

I've been struggling with posing Paddy since the beginning. The soles of his boots are very smooth and slippery which doesn't help, and he's got the long ankle extensions I made from pen tops.

I gave up trying to fully display the flare pistol and holstered it. Switched the Thompson to his right hand and tried to make him look a bit more relaxed.

View attachment 606041View attachment 606042

View attachment 606047View attachment 606048
Love your collection, but these are screaming for some weathering. You should definitely give it a shot!

Thanks. :)

And I know, but I'm reluctant to do anything permanent to them. I have had good results with chalk before, which I first tried on denim to give it a worn, aged look.
I've always been the same way and was always tempted to weather my older DML figures back in the day but never did.

I wasn't collecting WWII when they came out, but since I started collecting DID's North African range Paddy Mayne has been on my radar, but eluded me at a good price.
Ditto. Timewalker Toys is in my hometown and I started randomly dabbling. Just got Edward and the Commando General “Roy” aka Sean Connery. I think this goes back to my grad school days of playing so much COH as the Commandos. Anyhow, hoping to get a Blair soon and Stirling too. I hate to say it but the Stirling head seems a little too cartoonish so I may swap with the spare Roger Moore I have.

Ditto. Timewalker Toys is in my hometown and I started randomly dabbling. Just got Edward and the Commando General “Roy” aka Sean Connery. I think this goes back to my grad school days of playing so much COH as the Commandos. Anyhow, hoping to get a Blair soon and Stirling too. I hate to say it but the Stirling head seems a little too cartoonish so I may swap with the spare Roger Moore I have.

The Stirling head is a bit off putting!

That's the one of the three that doesn't appeal to me. If Modellers Loft ever reduce him in price as they did with the others I may go for him, and likewise swap the sculpt to make him into someone else.

I still have the venerable Dragon "General Roy" figure, which still holds up fine.

Here is an old pic of the shelves but they have changed just a little since the pic was taken:

Hobby Room 008.jpg

If you guys are enjoying Rogue Heroes show, I can heartily recommend Stephen Pressfield 's "Killing Rommel" novel, it's based on the early days of the LRDPG and the SAS during the North Africa campaign. Great story.

The Stirling head is a bit off putting!

That's the one of the three that doesn't appeal to me. If Modellers Loft ever reduce him in price as they did with the others I may go for him, and likewise swap the sculpt to make him into someone else.
Mind me asking how you’re attaching the patches? Is it as simple as fabric glue?

Back