1/6 DID D80159 Heer Infantry Oberleutnant Winter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-1.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-2.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-3.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-4.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-5.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-6.jpg

D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-11.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-12.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-17.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-24.jpg
D80159-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Oberleutnant-Winter-51.jpg

Base:
1 Super realistic headsculpt
2 All New – DID 1:6 Advanced Body (Slim Ver.)
3 Open palms
4 Gun-holding palms

Outfits:
5 WWII German WH officer uniform
6 WWII German breeches
7 WWII German white service shirt
8 Grey Toque
9 Light brown scarf
10 WWII German M36 greatcoat
11 WWII German helmet with inner liner (metal)
12 WWII German M34 field cap
13 Grey gloves
14 Belt (genuine leather)
15 Jackboots (genuine leather)

Accessories:
16 WWII German bread bag
17 WWII German canteen
18 WWII German gas mask canister (metal)
19 German compass
20 MP40 magazine pouch X 2
21 Whistle
22 Binoculars
23 Cigarette X 2
24 Watch
25 Map

Weapon:
26 MP40 submachine gun with magazine X 2 and bullet X 5
27 P38 pistol with holster (genuine leather)
28 German M24 grenade (wood+metal)
29 German panzerfaust (metal)
30 German boot knife with scabbard (metal)

Insignia:
31 Shoulder board X 2 pairs
32 Collar tab X 1 pair
33 Breast Eagle X 1
34 Tank Destruction Badge in Silver x 1
35 Infantry Assault Badge in Silver x 1
36 Iron cross First Class 1939 X 1

Since DID showed D80163 Wolfgang, I've been looking back at the Generation War (Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter) brothers, Wilhelm and Friedhelm Winter.

I almost convinced myself to get both brothers, but D80157 Freid [sic] doesn't really appeal to me. There's something off compared to Wilhelm, and it's largely the pale grey colour of the uniform.

The difference is evident at the end of DID's unboxing video:

vlcsnap-2023-02-14-12h13m12s498.jpg
vlcsnap-2023-02-14-12h13m16s931.jpg

To me there looks to be more green in Wilhelm's uniform, which is closer to a shade of feldgrau.

Yeah I was initially really excited when Friedhelm was announced because I wanted the two characters from the Miniseries but after a bit of inspecting over the few days the flaws were really coming out and especially when the first pictures came out on BBicn, super light uniform, and the tiny overly short body, same problem the new Erwin Rommel has.. they need to fix the "dwarf" bodies as someone on bbicn called it. And Wilhelms head is just not it.. the older version they did using the actors likeness with the SS figure looks better.

Yeah I was initially really excited when Friedhelm was announced because I wanted the two characters from the Miniseries but after a bit of inspecting over the few days the flaws were really coming out and especially when the first pictures came out on BBicn, super light uniform, and the tiny overly short body,

When Wolfgang was shown it made me look at Friedhelm again because the two look similar on the surface:

DID D80163 Wolfgang 1.jpg

D80157-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Unteroffizier-Freid-18.jpg

If I was getting Winter it felt like I ought to get Fried too, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. There's just no appeal there.

I went for Wolfgang instead. While his uniform is also pale I think it's closer to Winter's (which is evidently different to Fried's based on DID putting the two together in their unboxing video).

Fried:

D80157-WWII-German-WH-infantry-Unteroffizier-Freid-42.jpg

Wolfgang:

DID D80163 Wolfgang 9.jpg

Winter:

D80159-shoulder-boards-and-uniform-updated-1.jpg

same problem the new Erwin Rommel has.. they need to fix the "dwarf" bodies as someone on bbicn called it. And Wilhelms head is just not it..

I don't mind the bodies, but the Slim Short didn't work for the trousers they made for Jager.

Winter and Fried are both the Slim (Regular), but Wolfgang is using their new Slim Tall.

For Rommel I hope he's on the Slim Short since he was only 5' 6". If not I have spares from Jager.

the older version they did using the actors likeness with the SS figure looks better.

I watched Generation War again the other day. While it's good, it's also pretty depressing, so having figures to resemble the characters wasn't a priority.

I like the look of Winter, and can make two figures from him with parts I have.

In hand Winter's uniform isn't grey at all!

In fact it's very reminiscent of old DML uniforms.

I snapped these straight from the box with the flash on, next to a DML tunic:

100_3412.JPG

The first photo is closer to how it looks, the second was lit too much with the flash but demonstrates how close the two shades are:

100_3413.JPG

This ought to be what Wolfgang will also look like in hand, and if DID's photography is anything to go by, Fried wouldn't have been so bad.

The collar on his right side is messed up at the moment though. Where the tunic buttons across it's caused the collar to pop up, and that top button is placed off centre too.

This is one of the uniforms DID decided to use poppers on, which is strange since some of their photos show it unbuttoned at the top with the popper displayed. The non-functioning buttons aren't simply glued on nail art studs as normally done in 1/6, but plugged through the material and secured on the back.

His breeches are also a bit messy at the moment. They have straps on the sides of the waist, so I can pull them up and tighten them, and then push the legs down into the boots.

I still can't believe the uniform colour. It's making me feel very nostalgic for my old Dragon Models collection.

After water treating the popped up tunic collar and leaving it to dry (it worked perfectly), I set about making figure #2 from the spare parts of the set:

100_3424.JPG

100_3426.JPG

He's on a QMx Star Trek McCoy body with a LIM Toys Arthur Morgan sculpt without the hair piece attached. Instead of the hair, which would've been too bulky for the toque, helmet liner and helmet, I used some padding to build up the top and back of the head.

Other parts are an old pair of DID German officer boots; the belt from DML's Detective Chow, which I had to fasten on the side with electrical tape in order to make it long enough; and a DML bread bag, water bottle and mess tin that aren't probably going to be seen on display anyway.

This is the first DID where I thought the head was sitting too low for the uniform.

The sculpt seems to have a short neck, so I swapped the neck joint for a taller one. The head photographs horribly though, whereas in hand it looks very realistic.

100_3467.JPG

100_3459.JPG

100_3440.JPG

Wow that winter coat is gorgeous looks like the old DiD thomas figure definitely a good pickup and use of parts, being from Minnesota anything Winter gear related I love.

Wow that winter coat is gorgeous looks like the old DiD thomas figure definitely a good pickup and use of parts, being from Minnesota anything Winter gear related I love.

The greatcoat looked and felt good as soon as I took it from the box.

It's ironic because I got the figure to have a classic German officer, but after assembling both I prefer the one wrapped up for the cold.

On the subject of DID's bodies, their new Advanced Slim 2.0 OA60003...

DID OA60003 Advanced Slim 2.0.jpg

...is quoted as being the same height as their earlier Advanced Slim (0A60002)...

DID 0A60002 Advanced Slim.jpg

The differences are that the 2.0 comes with a blank sculpt, extra hands, and a different ankle system.

Previously the bodies differed in heights from the different lengths of the lower leg. Now there's an extension piece on the end of the leg, which presumably means that height can be adjusted by swapping extensions rather than the whole body (or whole lower leg if it can be be removed).

Your comment, combined with the 'Winter' title of this thread, my cold weather German, and a mention of Where Eagles Dare in the Sideshow Clint Eastwood Legacy Collection thread, prompted me to watch that movie again.

A really bad film in terms of history, uniform, anachronism and technology, yet a really good film in terms of location and atmosphere. I was getting Return to Castle Wolfenstein vibes on my rewatch.

Before Raiders of the Lost Ark and DID's Wilhelm lead me back to the Afrika Korps, I used to have a fascination with the Gebirgsjäger. Particularly Hubert Lanz's 1. Gebirgs-Division. At one time I was in the process of writing a day by history of the division, and had assembled numerous books including war diaries and a first edition of Lanz's own divisional history. What with having to translate the German texts, the task became too onerous and I gave up.

It was inevitable that a 1/6 WWII collection would eventually expand from the area I limited myself too, and the Where Eagles Dare scenario, which also fills my head with memories of the Wolfenstein game, is one I could easily find myself incorporating.

I used to have Dragon Model's Günther. Can't remember if DID ever made one, certainly not in modern times with their later higher quality.

A long haired, side burned Clint Eastwood Schaffer with Panzer Grenadier waffenfarbe (if Sideshow ever added him to the Legacy Collection) isn't going to cut it though.

This is beyond freaky.

DML's Günther was Caucasus, 1942.

And look what appeared on the BBICN forum twenty minutes ago:

https://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=392074&extra=page=1
View attachment 624167

:panic:

Günther was released in 2003, so this is the twentieth anniversary.
I had a similar experience, I was showing a tank military buff friend of mine the DiD figure of Michael Wittmann that I own and remember telling him how much I wanted an Otto carius since I read his book, like a week later DiD announced the figure of Otto Carius and that was that.

Isn't Q range the company that makes those super detailed sets for various Chinese WW2 figure sets that all have wood and metal weapons? I remember thinking this company should expand to the European theater.

I had a similar experience, I was showing a tank military buff friend of mine the DiD figure of Michael Wittmann that I own and remember telling him how much I wanted an Otto carius since I read his book, like a week later DiD announced the figure of Otto Carius and that was that.

Isn't Q range the company that makes those super detailed sets for various Chinese WW2 figure sets that all have wood and metal weapons? I remember thinking this company should expand to the European theater.

Yes, QOramge usually make Chinese figures. They expanded into Russia at least once with a Chernobyl clean up crew a few years ago. From a post on BBICN this is their first German.

Since no retailer that I deal with reguarly stocks the brand I asked Kit yesterday. He looked into it and listed the set shortly afterwards.

I don't like DID's bendy hand/woolly glove combination as the hands look oversized.

So I've swapped them out for a pair of gauntlets from LIM's Arthur (also the source of his head sculpt):

100_3555.JPG

100_3556.JPG

Last edited:
Changed them again because the gestures of LIM's gloves weren't right, especially the angle of grip of the right hand which wouldn't allow me to replicate my original pose.

These gloves are from VTS' version of RDR2's Arthur:

100_3557.JPG

Back