1/6 Ujindou UD9028 5. SS-Panzerdivision Wiking SS-Oberscharführer (Operation Konrad, Hungary 1945)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Ujindou Wiking 1.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 2.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 3.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 4.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 5.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 6.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 7.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 9.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 10.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 11.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 12.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 13.jpg

Ujindou Wiking 14.jpg

Ujindou Wiking 15.jpg

Ujindou Wiking 16.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 17.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 18.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 19.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 21.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 22.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 23.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 24.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 25.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 26.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 27.jpg
Ujindou Wiking 28.jpg

Ujindou Wiking 30.jpg

Ujindou Wiking 29.jpg

UJINDOU 1/6 Wiking Division NCO_Operation Konrad_Hungary 1945
PRODUCT ITEM NO.: UD9028

Clothing COSTUME:

1. 1X M42 Helmet
2. 1X M43 Winter Fur Cap
3. 1X Head Scarf
4. 1X Winter Uniform Parka
5. 1X Swedish Winter Coat
6. 1X SS M43 Field Blouse
7. 1X SS gray reversible parka trousers
8. 1X SS white cotton reversible parka trousers
9. 1 PAIR gloves (genuine leather, fabric) 'Trigger Finger' Gloves
10. 1 PAIR Filzstiefel winter boots-imitation Soviet Valenki winter boots (genuine leather)

simulated head carving NEW BOND HEAD SCULPTURE
body with palms/feet BODY W/ RELAXED HANDS

PALMS:

1. 1PAIR GUN HOLDING HANDS

ACCESSORIES:
1. Canvas Y-straps
2. SS Equipment Belt
3. Bread Bag
4. M31 Water Bottle
5. M31 Mess Kit
6. Stg44 MP44 Ammunition Pouch
7. S84/98 Bayonet
8. Folding E-tool
9. M44 backpack (with detachable strap)
Note : Accessories including leather are made of genuine leather.

WEAPONS:
1. Stg44 Assault Rifle
2. 6X Stg44 magazine
3. M43 Stick Grenade

badge INSIGNIA:
1. Iron Cross First Class 1939
2. Iron Cross (2nd Class) Ribbon
3. Infantry Assault Badge
4. Wound Badge in Silver
5. Wiking Cuff Title
6. Collar Tab
7. Shoulder Tab
8. SS Sleeve Eagle
9. 2X SS Cap badge

In cold weather, how is that mess tin going to hold up? I mean when it's snowing and you are legitimately around ice, harsh pure winter weather, etc, etc. Would you be stuck perpetually trying to pry it open?

So you can see how so much of what WW2 Germany did, in terms of military production, that influenced the rest of the world, even for the long term. That breadbag looks like a precursor for the more modern buttpack. The German helmet, you can see the design translate later into more modern helmets. Building the squad or fireteam around a machine gun or light machine gun, again, more carry overs.

But I have a hard time seeing the effective utility in things like an A Frame or all these dangling bits off the belt. Then the question becomes if it was a materials issue. I.E. if Germany didn't have the material capability to give everyone a standard traditional field pack. I suppose reversibles had the added effect of adding another insulating layer in really bad winter weather. Considering the materials they had back then, and the technology, and the practical landscape around them, I gotta figure these guys truly suffered from the war through the equipment and standard issued stuff. Some of it looks well made and durable, some if it looks like a huge PITA waiting to happen in some dark field somewhere. I mean psychologically, you are already under heavy stress for fear of the enemy and just trying to survive, then you have to factor in making sure some weird strap works or why some thing won't screw on right, I can see how that could drive someone nuts.

I like the jacket and the rifle. I was out of the hobby when functional smaller German weapons were being made. Be interesting to see how far these can be broken down or not.

The M43 parka had pleated pockets, which Ujindou's lacks:

Ujindou Wiking 9.jpg

There's an image in Osprey's The Waffen-SS (4) 24. to 38. Divisions which shows what they refer to as an M1944 winter uniform consisting of parka and padded over trousers:

parka.jpg

The description specifically notes the "simpler unpleated chest pockets", but in it's in relation to the differences from the M1942 half-buttoned pullover parka.

Elsewhere the fully buttoned, hooded and fur-lined parka with pleated pockets is referred to as the M43. I haven't found reference to an M44 parka elsewhere, nor one with unpleated pockets. However, Osprey generally draw from photographs.

Last edited:
This photo is purported to be of a genuine WWII parka, though they incorrectly date it circa 1942:

parka 2.jpg

"Rare in this condition."

Also this one for sale, allegedly genuine:

parka 1943.jpg

It sounds dodgy though:

Offered is what I believe is a WWII German, fur lined, parka. It is dated 1943 with the number 3640 next to the date. There is a logo is on the back side of one pocket, but hard to read. It looks like the image of an animal skin on a stretching board. I cannot make out the writing. There are no prohibited symbols. My research came up with a very similar parka named to the SS Elite Kharkov, whatever that was. This was given to me by a WWII vet who got it from a friend just after the war, but he had no information to add, just that it was for ice fishing. The buttons look like German ones I’ve seen, and a few have some corrosion, and one is pretty bad.The hood has draw ties, and inside the cuffs the lining is tight with some sort of elastic to close tightly over the wrist. The front closure has a double flap, and the buttons go through both for total closure. The skins are a maze all stitched together. The back side of the fur is very soft, but I don’t know what kind of fur it, and some looks to be fleece. There is some light outside soiling, but I made no attempt to clean this in any way. It was stuffed in a metal can for over 60 years with plenty of moth crystals, but that smell has gone out of the parka over the past few years.

This is the most likely answer, and the one I expected for the lack of pocket pleats: late war simplification.

Second Pattern Waffen-SS Anorak

FJM44_3844.jpg
FJM44_3836.jpg
FJM44_3835.jpg

This parka looks genuine. There are more photos of it showing wear and repairs.

https://equipment.fandom.com/wiki/Second_Pattern_Waffen-SS_Anorak

This is the actual source for the "second pattern" parka:

https://fjm44.com/product/second-model-waffen-ss-charkov-parka/
However, by second pattern they mean that the original was the half-buttoned pullover design, and not a fully buttoned one with pleated pockets:

A nice original Waffen-SS Charkov parka in good used condition. The parka is the second model with the fully opening button front. The parka is in good used condition with a number of repairs and wear to the material. The parka retains its fur lining and is a size I or II. A very nice eastern front Waffen-SS cold weather garment in good used condition!

So far in period photos I've only seen the M43 with pleated pockets, so for me this remains a mystery. :unsure:

This one arrived yesterday along with the DID Skorzeny sets but I've only just opened the box:

Golden boy...

IMG_2597.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2602.JPG

One of the Skorzenys was missing the skull for the cap, and now Ujindou's Wiking is missing the 'SS' collar tab.

They included an extra rank tab instead:

IMG_2599.JPG

As for the figure, it's not the most exciting yet.

I don't like the furry cap - with the flaps tied up it's practically impossible to fit it on his head - and doesn't look that good.

Both pairs of over trousers (the white ones are folded under the Swedish winter coat) have working buttons. Really tiny buttons - too small for a DID buttonhook, so I used one of the smaller hooks that came with a Qorange figure. I don't know why they bothered to go with functioning buttons when Velcro and fake buttons would do just as well, and avoid the unnecessary extra work.

The Swedish coat also has working buttons, though the parka and M43 jacket have the little black plastic poppers.

As is typical with Ujindou, golden boy's sculpt is small. Since the parka and over trousers are very full, I've decided to use the HHModel/HaoyuToys Carthaginian Mercenary muscle body with a neckless sculpt. It fits well without needing the M43 underneath.

Back