1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good, but it's not an absolute home run, either. I'm actually going to be trying to sell quite a bit of stuff that I do like (some of it I'd rank as favourite releases, even -- i.e., Greedo and Hammerhead), but just figure I won't have space for. Vader might end-up on that list... Doesn't mean I agree with your critique, though! Except height. :p

It's glued in place stock at the sides of his neck. You can pry it lose and reposition it anyway you please. I placed it ato an angle to make the mask fit without scratching the sculpt. Pics 2 pages back!

Did he say time has caught up with Vader and his look is "dated"? Static, plodding and "a space version of Frankenstein.":lol

Ouch. :lol

I'll have to check out Clipperking's review soon - I generally agree with him most times on the important stuff.

That said - it's SSC Vayda 2.0. - I'm interested in seeing if he's as unforgiving as I am with that POS figure. :lol
I like Clipper a lot. I watch his reviews whenever I can. But I honestly think I watch them because they're entertaining than anything. There's been a lot of time I've fully disagreed with him, but damn does he make an entertaining video. :lol

It's glued in place stock at the sides of his neck. You can pry it lose and reposition it anyway you please. I placed it ato an angle to make the mask fit without scratching the sculpt. Pics 2 pages back!

To get the HS loose did you boil or use hot air or any such?

I'll be switching over to the reveal based on your pics, gotta do the re-position mod first.

To get the HS loose did you boil or use hot air or any such?

I'll be switching over to the reveal based on your pics, gotta do the re-position mod first.

I'm definitely doing this too. Does the head just sit back deeper in the neck brace? Did you have to shave any of it off?

All in in the post I posted. Just put it in lower after prying it out, and at an angle so his ears align so his right ear doesn't interfere with the mask anymore. I suggest trying it first before permanently glueing it to see if it doesnt restrict the mask before glueing it.

I love my Vader twice as much knowing the headsculpt is underneath it.. Don't know why. It just... feels good to know! The thought of not using it even thought it's very decent (though I'd still prefer a Medicom 2.0 sculpt) make me cringe.

All in in the post I posted. Just put it in lower after prying it out, and at an angle so his ears align so his right ear doesn't interfere with the mask anymore. I suggest trying it first before permanently glueing it to see if it doesnt restrict the mask before glueing it.

I love my Vader twice as much knowing the headsculpt is underneath it.. Don't know why. It just... feels good to know!

Also, no I didn't boil it but it wouldn't hurt to do so!

2rwu8f6.jpg

Here he is, reveal helmet modded, neck shortened and body shortened, standing at 34 cm now. Looks great imo.

I started modding the body of my Vader over the weekend.
The mods I did:
-shorten forearms
-replace midsection/stomach with an advanced TT midsection
-thin sides slightly so his arms can come closer to the body
(-lower dome and thicken arms, this was done earlier already)

I'm still not 100% satisfied with his look, but his height is much better now. I feel his body is actually a bit too wide now in proportion to his height. I'm not sure if I want to make him thinner though, as those would be some pretty irreversible changes to the body. Currently I could easily replace the midsection again with the original. The bodysuit and robes were also simply futzed to fit, I didn't resew or cut anything.
I took some in-progress shots while modifying the body, if anybody is interested, I could post some of those as well.

Thoughts?

IMG_1647_2_small.jpg

IMG_1640_3_small.jpg

IMG_1624_2_small.jpg

I don't think it's too wide at all. I definitely wouldn't make it thinner.
Your overall body proportions look better than stock and better than some of the mods that make him look 'stubby.'
You might want to try raising the chest box so the top is practically touching the bottom of the chest armor...but not a big deal. The chest box moved around on set, but for the ESB/JEDI version, it was mostly seen almost touching the armor.
389724_424834677543849_1397781457_n.jpg
1382169_604708726234970_1946863372_n.jpg

I started modding the body of my Vader over the weekend.
The mods I did:
-shorten forearms
-replace midsection/stomach with an advanced TT midsection
-thin sides slightly so his arms can come closer to the body
(-lower dome and thicken arms, this was done earlier already)

I'm still not 100% satisfied with his look, but his height is much better now. I feel his body is actually a bit too wide now in proportion to his height. I'm not sure if I want to make him thinner though, as those would be some pretty irreversible changes to the body. Currently I could easily replace the midsection again with the original. The bodysuit and robes were also simply futzed to fit, I didn't resew or cut anything.
I took some in-progress shots while modifying the body, if anybody is interested, I could post some of those as well.

Thoughts?

IMG_1647_2_small.jpg

IMG_1640_3_small.jpg

IMG_1624_2_small.jpg

I think your mod looks great!

:clap

Agonistes86, I think your Vader looks great. The proportions are very realistic but at the end of the day it has to satisfy you. Can't wait to see what future alterations you make. Thank you for sharing.

I don't think it's too wide at all. I definitely wouldn't make it thinner.
Your overall body proportions look better than stock and better than some of the mods that make him look 'stubby.'
You might want to try raising the chest box so the top is practically touching the bottom of the chest armor...but not a big deal. The chest box moved around on set, but for the ESB/JEDI version, it was mostly seen almost touching the armor.

Thanks for the input. :) I raised the chestbox now, it does make a difference in appearance as well. And thanks for the screenshots. Although I worked with other screenshots as well, that first shot you posted made it more clear to me what was bothering me: the lack of a neck. I think the problem is that the shoulderpiece isn't sloped enough towards the shoulders, and too horizontal. Add to that a thick cape, and his neck disappears. I pulled the head a bit higher on the neck socket now, and it looks much better to me. I honestly don't understand why people are shortening the neck on their Vader. Without the cape the neck appears a tad too long now, but with the cape, I think it looks great.
Do you have any more input on what could be improved, based on the new shots below?

I think your mod looks great!

:clap

Agonistes86, I think your Vader looks great. The proportions are very realistic but at the end of the day it has to satisfy you. Can't wait to see what future alterations you make. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, guys.

Vader looks really good, are there any mods done to Maul at all?

Thanks, and yes, I modified Maul extensively. The only Sideshow parts left are the head and the clothing. The head was resculpted and repainted, the body is a mix of two different TT (slim and advanced), and the boots and gloves are new as well. You can find more information on my build-up, and more pictures, here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...s/129783-ssc-darth-maul-resculpt-repaint.html

I took some more shots of Vader in front of a neutral background, to show off the proportions better. As I mentioned above, I moved the chestbox higher, and pulled up the head a bit to extend his neck.

IMG_1672_2_small.jpg

IMG_1667_2_small.jpg

Thanks for the input. :) I raised the chestbox now, it does make a difference in appearance as well. And thanks for the screenshots. Although I worked with other screenshots as well, that first shot you posted made it more clear to me what was bothering me: the lack of a neck. I think the problem is that the shoulderpiece isn't sloped enough towards the shoulders, and too horizontal. Add to that a thick cape, and his neck disappears. I pulled the head a bit higher on the neck socket now, and it looks much better to me. I honestly don't understand why people are shortening the neck on their Vader. Without the cape the neck appears a tad too long now, but with the cape, I think it looks great.
Do you have any more input on what could be improved, based on the new shots below?

Thanks, guys.

Thanks, and yes, I modified Maul extensively. The only Sideshow parts left are the head and the clothing. The head was resculpted and repainted, the body is a mix of two different TT (slim and advanced), and the boots and gloves are new as well. You can find more information on my build-up, and more pictures, here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...s/129783-ssc-darth-maul-resculpt-repaint.html

I took some more shots of Vader in front of a neutral background, to show off the proportions better. As I mentioned above, I moved the chestbox higher, and pulled up the head a bit to extend his neck.

IMG_1672_2_small.jpg

IMG_1667_2_small.jpg

You can angle the shoulder armor as far to his neck as possible to make it more angular. It's what I did.

Back