1/6 S-HERO - SH001 Doom Monarch (Doctor Doom)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm pleased to see that he seems to stack up very nicely next to the M35. Right now I'm thinking that the stand he comes with isn't quite grand enough for the figure, which isn't something I've ever considered before!

Doom's a mixed bag.

The abnormal begins with the box, and the Mayan looking Doom sticking his tongue out:

IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG

Unboxed, the face sculpt is as I expected. It looks like it should be on a Hasbro 12" figure, though he was never going to be displayed without his mask.

IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG

For the mask I always wanted him in the classic version... but it doesn't fit the sculpt properly.

The mask immediately drops down so that the eye holes are below his eyes. All you can see through the sockets when looking directly is flesh.

Even the modern plate is slightly out of alignment.

The cloth has a nice feel to it, but the pleather is very thin.

The armour and under suit are very restrictive, which means posing options are limited, and any adjustment of the arms will likely entail adjusting three pieces of armour. The wrist joints are also quite loose with barely any friction.

The fur makes him appear neckless. Removing it caused the thread to pull out of one of the gold cape clasps. The poor stitching reflected the overall feeling I had of the figure when I took him from the box, which meant my first instinct was to cut the loops off the fur collar. However, I opted to give S-Hero the benefit of the doubt and tried to pull the elastic over the clasp as intended. After the first clasp came off I resorted to plan A for the second and simply cut the loop with scissors.

The clasp glued back on, and functions perfectly holding the chain, so that wasn't a disaster.

Even with the shortcomings of bad design and execution, he's nevertheless visually impressive. We know by now that's he's literally short too.

I mean really short. In this pose he only measure 11.5" from the soles of his boots to the top of his shiny metal skull:

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

I raised Doom's base up to match the homemade one that Doctor Strange is using:

IMG_1402.JPG

Doom is so tiny!

I bypassed Kit's 12mm ankle extensions and used the 18mm version. They're 18mm plus the extra required peg, and the overall increase was 1".

With the tape measure he's now 12.5" from the soles of his boots to the top of his helmet.

IMG_1404.JPG

The only problem adding that much height is that the knee armour tends to hang out forwards. The shin/knee armour section can be futzed back into the normal position, and could be permanently kept there by pushing something down between the back of the leg and the armour.

Mine also arrived.

Not perfect by any means. The clasps/medallions are appallingly badly sewn on, trying to remove the fur shawl saw both come off and I wasn't being heavy handed. I'll have to dig the sewing box out.

I also attempted to increase the height with an old set of Kit's height extenders, which didn't work - the socket on the legs is very slightly too large for the replaced pegs, which leaves them too floppy. I'll need to revisit these by changing the peg as the foot end rather than ankle.

But it does have presence and the look, size aside, is awesome. And besides the godawful sewing it feels fairly well made with decent materials used for the outfit. The plastics might be a bit cheap but it's only on the mask that it's particularly noticeable and even then when it's on it looks the part.

Solid, not amazing, but decent.

Luckily I didn't have to mess with trying to remove the fur when mine arrived as both gold buttons were detached when I opened mine up. Easy enough to sew back on but still. I think it was just shoved in the box from the factory and it forced the buttons off. Sigh. Anyway, one last photo. This is the only 1/6 Doom we have at the moment so it will have to do.

Attachments

• 20231203_155350.jpg
    20231203_155350.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Luckily I didn't have to mess with trying to remove the fur when mine arrived as both gold buttons were detached when I opened mine up. Easy enough to sew back on but still. I think it was just shoved in the box from the factory and it forced the buttons off. Sigh. Anyway, one last photo. This is the only 1/6 Doom we have at the moment so it will have to do.

I've seen several reports now of the stitching coming undone on the cape clasps, including a photo of another where the clasp was already detached in the box, with the second later falling off during fur removal.

Some commented that they would have to be resewn, but honestly a little dab of glue fixed mine in a few seconds.

Another shortcoming I found with him was the magnet that connects the head. It restricts posing, because unlike a regular joint you're limited to where the magnet pulls the sculpt. You can't have him looking a little upwards, because Doom will immediately resist!

Not sure why they chose a magnetic neck connection. There's no real need to disconnect the sculpt frequently for any purpose relating to the costume or accessories. Magnets for the mask were a good idea in theory, but they should've aligned them better to match the mask to the face, especially with the classic style.

Even so, the figure does most of what I wanted him for. I've been waiting for a higher quality 1/6 comic book Doom for a long time, and I think this is the closest we've got.

Last edited:
I’m wondering with the mask magnets is there a way to remove the magnets and maybe use Blu Tac or something to align the mask to the eyes so it fits properly? Mine should arrive in a few days.

I’m wondering with the mask magnets is there a way to remove the magnets and maybe use Blu Tac or something to align the mask to the eyes so it fits properly? Mine should arrive in a few days.

It ought to be possible to prise the magnet out since Chinese glue isn't usually very strong. (With Hot Toys the magnets tend to fall off when you don't want them to).

A few dots of tack on parts of the face that don't show through, including his nose because it slots into a recess in the mask, and it should stay on.

It's a shame because the magnet idea was sound, but the execution poor.

Another shortcoming I found with him was the magnet that connects the head. It restricts posing, because unlike a regular joint you're limited to where the magnet pulls the sculpt. You can't have him looking a little upwards, because Doom will immediately resist!

Not sure why they chose a magnetic neck connection. There's no real need to disconnect the sculpt frequently for any purpose relating to the costume or accessories. Magnets for the mask were a good idea in theory, but they should've aligned them better to match the mask to the face, especially with the classic style.
Agreed on both counts. There was really no need to have a magnetic head and neck. The magnets on the face plates could have been great but as you mentioned, the classic look doesn't line up for squat and hangs a bit too low. Don't get me started on those damn buttons, lol. That was the last thing I wanted to mess with when I opened it. All in all I do really like it though. The soft goods and armor are decent enough to carrier over to different body if I decide to do so. Oh, I need to find a plastic mauser. While die cast is cool and all, it makes my belt sag due to the weight and not sure what long-term effects it could have.

I freaking love this figure it’s like straight out of a comic book dear to my heart. I need more stuff like this and the cool thing is he doesn’t seem too hard to customize or work on like body swap. I used Blu tac for the neck to hold poses. BOSS FIGURE!!! 🤩 My buddy is printing a thrown for me too.

Attachments

• IMG_3863.jpeg
    IMG_3863.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3870.jpeg
    IMG_3870.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3868.jpeg
    IMG_3868.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3871.jpeg
    IMG_3871.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
  • IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3877.jpeg
    IMG_3877.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3883.jpeg
    IMG_3883.jpeg
  • IMG_3884.jpeg
    IMG_3884.jpeg
  • IMG_3885.jpeg
    IMG_3885.jpeg
  • IMG_3894.jpeg
    IMG_3894.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3890.jpeg
    IMG_3890.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3887.jpeg
    IMG_3887.jpeg
  • IMG_3889.jpeg
    IMG_3889.jpeg
  • IMG_3895.jpeg
    IMG_3895.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
Yeah, just got my Doom and the package job was pretty bad. The head was in his lap one of the buttons was popped off and the armor on one of the knees was broken off. None of its horribly tough to fix but still disappointing to have to.

So…I watched that same review last night and I could not believe it 😳. I thought I had clicked on a Headless Horseman review by mistake, but no, it was S-Hero’s Doom Monarch!

It’s crazy that any figure from any company could be released with such a high risk of it falling apart as soon as you open it.

“Dammit, Jim, I’m a doctor, not a tailor!”

This is the Sixth Scale version of owning a “Lemon”. I almost want to cancel my invoice and maybe hope that SooSoo or somebody puts out a “Mr. DoomandGloom” that’s of a higher quality.

For me to give a detail thought on it.
7.5/10
+Details on the armor
+Tunic and cape easy to control (I prefer to not have wire so it easier to control the hood)
+Accessories
+Metal Buckle and Medallion buttons
+Plastic Armor pieces instead of Diecasts (Though it would have been cool to have diecast pieces it would cause too many issues)
-Fur Coat hard to removed
-Medallion buttons hard to stitch back on if broken off
-Restrictive undersuit
-Height being too small to scale to other Marvel figures
-Belt made out of thin pleather (Can be easily ripped if not careful)
-No Fist hands
-Magnetic Head/Mask (The amount of times i almost drop the headculpt because i keep forgetting it on weak magnet)

I'm maybe biased here because of my loved for the Character and been after a good 1/6 figure of Doctor Doom.
Sure figure is far from perfect but it a good enough of figure for me to put up in my collection.

So…I watched that same review last night and I could not believe it 😳. I thought I had clicked on a Headless Horseman review by mistake, but no, it was S-Hero’s Doom Monarch!

It’s crazy that any figure from any company could be released with such a high risk of it falling apart as soon as you open it.

“Dammit, Jim, I’m a doctor, not a tailor!”

This is the Sixth Scale version of owning a “Lemon”. I almost want to cancel my invoice and maybe hope that SooSoo or somebody puts out a “Mr. DoomandGloom” that’s of a higher quality.

It's a good base figure to work on though.

Most of the issues don't take much effort to fix. If the cape clasps fall off you can glue them back on rather than taking him apart to stitch them.

As Bgnyc007 demonstrated you can realign the masks with Blu Tac, and also use it to hold the sculpt pose against the resistance of the magnet.

The only problem I have left with him now are the loose wrists. He's holding mini Thing in his left hand, but it's precarious because the slightest movement can make the wrist rotate and drop poor Ben. I haven't checked yet, but that could also probably be solved with some Blu Tac on the joint.

None of that is ideal, and it shouldn't be necessary, but it gives you a respectable 1/6 Doctor Doom.

Back