1/6 S-HERO - SH001 Doom Monarch (Doctor Doom)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we don’t even know what an inevitable MCU Doom will look like, this seems like a great comic-accurate classic/modern Doom, and it has my full attention. I hope it delivers, because Doctor Doom has always been my pick for the greatest comic villain of all time. He fits nearly any display, against nearly any character. You don’t get villains like Darth Vader without Doom laying the groundwork.

And you don't get Doom without those old cliffhanger villains, which is what attracts me to the character in spite of him being from the Marvel universe.

FDD.jpg

FDD P.jpg

(The Fighting Devil Dogs, 1938)

As soon as I saw the figure I thought of his throne, and S-Hero had already got that covered.

Funny because earlier today I was contemplating ditching all my Star Wars pre-orders due to lack of interest, including bumbling Boba and his throne.

Funny because earlier today I was contemplating ditching all my Star Wars pre-orders due to lack of interest, including bumbling Boba and his throne.

For the sake of diversity, Doom on throne would look a lot better than Fester.

Did Doom ever have a notable "sidekick" or a villain/enforcer who he worked with often that would make a good companion figure standing next to Doom's throne?

Did Doom ever have a notable "sidekick" or a villain/enforcer who he worked with often that would make a good companion figure standing next to Doom's throne?

I think his henchmen were robots - Doombots - which resembled himself.

So you'd have to buy two of this figure.

doombot.jpg

:lol

There was his ex-fiancé, Lady Victorious.
Ff8-1.jpg

I miss the ServoGuards.

For figures that exist (or will be), he and Kang the Conquer have a lot of history.

DreadKnight, who's sometimes an Iron Man villain.

d650752bdf7e5c574350dbbed921903a.jpg

He was a cocky Latverian scientist that insulted Doom when he thought he wasn't around, so Doom naturally glued his mask to his face and forced him into the life of an attack dog.

Then there's the afformentioned Victorious, a recent OC whom he imbued with the Power Cosmic. She stuck around but has been demoted. Doom wanted to marry her for political reasons, but she had a one night stand with Johnny before, then blurted it out on the altar, and gave us this:

1630875037323.jpg

It's moments like this that truly make Namor a classic. And I'll move on before I go on another rant about Manletmor... Anyway, the cameras were scrubbed, the marriage cancelled, and Doom again stuck a mask on her.

BMD6NF0eAP5dfrgno4NZjaatIJ_VcRHM-mdZGqtHm5daZlSg8hPfUrs_cuR_y3tyfloj4pmxGJ7uCmrPpfydRqPy87a5Psti3NJaZX4q65Buoa5kKL9dtxNUlmQkQXqp64lYu0TRyA=s0

She's still wearing it when she appears.

fk76ETlkVzIQGL5dermfs3_xePSbGQvmLLewh_Au1oRtYHLTzej_8NIM3C8qiF67eIVHoLFloRtrNPTQWsPPzLC-POUktCGuLpUiG-wsyzVJv5RCvTqeYLo33-XDUVHrinS12I901Q=s0

It's honestly a nice design, I'd buy that figure. Then again I'd buy all Doom-related figures. Maybe they'll give him a solo, who knows. Moving on we have his adopted son, Kristoff.

92392361a9498d3f43190ba123788cf1b14045be.png

These are the big ones. There are one-offs and reccuring allies, but they're not what you'd need. Supposing the figures existed, the perfect set up for me would be Doom on the throne, two Servo Guards flanking him, Kristoff and Victorious to the two sides, and one of his flames as a Queen. Namor and Kang could neatly fit there too, but the MCU's completely ruined them for me so I'm trying to devise a plan. Realistically, I don't expect any of them to show up in the movies, or get a figure if they do. Your best shot is a Manletmor if they announce him from WF (I don't know how likely it is that they'll bring him back in the movies either). Or maybe a Strange and/or a Loki. He gets along with them, plus Stark. They've all had plenty of stories where they work together, banter a bit. But Stark would be out of place since there's so many other displays to put him in. So play up the Monarch/Magic side is what I'd do.

For my money, if I get this guy, it'll be for my DoomShelf. The quality's not good enough for me to put him next to the proper 1/6th figures; I'll work with whatever HT and the MCU give me. Where I'll put my MCU Doom(s) depends. The Sorcerer shelf could work, next to whatever FF stuff I buy; it's all in flux. Really it depends on how many they make. Ideally I'd want a Doom-centric area of the collection, but we'll see.

Regardless, this knockoff would be fine next to my Doom Funkos, Hasbros, etc. I still have a faint hope that maybe by 2032 I'll have Mezco One:12s of comic Namor and Kang to pair with my Mezco Doom (whenever he arrives)...

Kang and Doom could look good together... depending what the MCU presents as their Kang.
Dancing Dreamworks Clown. What I can't understand is how they're banking on him carrying at the very least 3 movies as the big bad. I'm still holding out some hope that they'll bring in some other actors and actresses as Kang variants. That's the whole point of Kang. We've got literal alien Kangs. But now we're stuck with Dreamworks Guy. The one character that they can fully fall on the Multiverse stuff to have fun with, and we're stuck with a single guy. It's nonsensical.

Last edited:
I’ve never read anything Doom related. My only exposure to him is through the F4 movies but I’ve heard so much praise for the character from my cousins and online that I’ve adopted their views that he’s an absolute boss.

I’d get this with the throne purely for the display presence. He can fit somewhere on my comic X-Men shelf. That What If Ultron figure could make a cool accompanying piece. He could pull off being something like a royal guard to Doom.

I've never heard of Dreadknight, I don't like Doom being married, nor having an adopted son.

Concubines are fine. But I don't want a nude-dude standing next to Doom.

I wish he had some definitive agent or assassin that was also cool (and not a copy of himself).

Oh well, alone shall he sit upon his throne.

I’ve never read anything Doom related. My only exposure to him is through the F4 movies but I’ve heard so much praise for the character from my cousins and online that I’ve adopted their views that he’s an absolute boss.

I’d get this with the throne purely for the display presence. He can fit somewhere on my comic X-Men shelf. That What If Ultron figure could make a cool accompanying piece. He could pull off being something like a royal guard to Doom.
I debated getting an Infinity Ultron as a stand-in for an Annihilation Conquest Ultron, but ended up deciding against it. Too cartoony and different from the cool design of the book.

500718b_press03.jpg

Doom has his own Ultron, Andro the Doomsman.

GS%2BSVTU%2B02_p26_MS%2B%2526%2BSG.jpg

Definitely not as much of a classic, to say the least... As for Doom himself, he's an acquired taste, honestly. Some see him as a villainous Gary Stu, and he can definitely be that. I don't like it myself when he's written as Thad ThunderCock who pwns everyone with little effort and so on. I don't like it when he's a joke either. I dislike it when he's a sadist and when he's "wholesome". Doom's a character that needs balance to work. Otherwise you end up with either an empty cliche or a self-inserting "anti-hero". There's books out now where he's working with a transexual doctor to fight off NeoNazi Quasi-Republicans. It's just silly and screams of [current day] Americanisms. He's a Balkan gypsy Dictator. He'd realistically be commiting war crimes and ethnic cleasings before his lunch every other Saturday. But self-inserting writers want to be the bad-ass edgy sadboy who's totes right and "on the right side of history" so they write such tripe. These stories have been with Doom since the beginning, but I've always found them ridiculous. Him fighting Red Skull and Nazis is fine, it's not like the Balkans have a good history with them. But Doom telling off Dracula for being wary of the Middle East, the guy who held the fort against the Ottomans so to speak, and is pretty much lionised in that area, is downright ridiculous.

To be fair, Doom has crossed paths with almost everyone, so he could be displayed with just about anybody. A few examples:View attachment 607125View attachment 607124View attachment 607126
I've always thought a mini T&T display would be pretty sick. Doom and Strange, a nice diorama, and Mephisto in the back. I'm planning a Marvel Magic shelf, depending on what they end up making, and I'd love to have that as the "centrepiece" of it, with Wanda, Loki, etc on the sides. We're still ways off on that though, considering how slow they're going on that front.

I've never heard of Dreadknight, I don't like Doom being married, nor having an adopted son.

Concubines are fine. But I don't want a nude-dude standing next to Doom.

I wish he had some definitive agent or assassin that was also cool (and not a copy of himself).

Oh well, alone shall he sit upon his throne.
Kristoff was a way to humanise Doom, but I've always found it rather limiting in a way. Doom's an egomaniac, there's no way he's not setting up his own flesh and blood as his heir, and is instead raising a ward to succeed him. Not that anyone's done much with Kristoff, which is a shame. Once Doom copied his own brain on top of little Kristoff's as a backup. On a good day, it's a touching enough relationship. Doom adopted him because his mother was murdered in front of him during a skirmish, and Doom considered it a personal failure to fail his people like that.

As for marriage, it's tricky. I usually see Doom as too vain and egocentric to be into it. Even concubines I feel he'd keep around for the ego trip and maybe screw them once every blue moon. He's not built like that. On the off chance we get some humanising moments you get the idea that he could find some happiness if he stopped being such a giant dick, but he goes and ruins it.

1643905872525.jpg

The funny thing is, Heroic Doom isn't that much of a stretch either. It can theoretically work. You just have to be careful with it.

I do agree that he should've had a better supporting cast by now, but it's Marvel's fault that they never pushed him as a solo character. The reason why the FF fell off so much in popularity is that the characters themselves are rather dorky and with the cyclical nature of comics, the repeated stories made them stocky and boring, even though they were rather spirited when they started. Who cares about Rock Guy and Fire Guy when you can read the X-Men with Gambit, Rogue, and so on? A bickering family in jumpsuits can become stale. Doom's popularity rose to the point where he surpassed the book he originated from. When the FF were banned from publication and were removed from almost all media, Doom kept appearing and was even playable in MMOs like Marvel Heroes. He's been THE Marvel villain for decades, but Marvel never capitalised on it. Yes, he had Doom 2099, but it's not the same. He did have a proper supporting cast there though, most notably Fortune.

005_0002.jpg

And then there's his Generals from Heroes Reborn/Return.

wvJbS6uVzLPdXnNoJuthPpOm61Rto-B8FJWGlDpNi0pYWzf7Fs1rqt5zUiBTehAb5cgpp0TLRdFu=s1600

You ask me, he should've had a solo ongoing, period. Same goes with Namor. But FF had to stay in publication for being a classic, and so they used people like Doom, Namor and T'Challa as recurring characters there to make people keep coming back to the book itself. If you're asking me, I'd have dropped Ben and Johnny ages ago and reworked it as a Think Tank book, but that's another talk. It's just that I've always liked the idea of the FF much more than the execution. Most days I prefer Moore's riff, Tom Strong, more.

TomStrongDeluxe1.jpg

The reason why I read FF, beyond Doom, were the plots and because they built the wider MU. But character wise? Eh. Iron Man has far more mid comics than the FF, but I read them because I liked Tony and his entire supporting cast. I never connected with the FF in that way. They were just a way for me to experience the stories themselves. Reed's the only one I can really say I like, and after him Susan, but I persist that they're dragged down by the other two. Ultimate FF with the super-genius teen think-tank worked better as a setup. In my mind, Johnny and Ben add nothing, and the book would've worked better akin to Heroes Reborn's Knights Of The Atomic Table, with Reed and Sue as a scientific adventurer power couple, and then some extra scientists coming and going as they explore the cosmos. But I know that's an unpopular idea. I wanted Star Trek: TOS with Super-Powers, basically. Hickman creating the Future Foundation was one of the best developments for me, and that's how I want my FF book.

I'll tell you this, I really don't want to spend 500€ on Ben and another 300€ on Johnny. I'd rather buy... dunno, Molecule Man before them. Ideally I'd want Reed, Sue and then aged up versions of Franklin and Valeria, which are unlikely. I'll probably buy all the Reeds (one for my Illuminati and then the rest for a quasi Council Of Reeds) and wait for an FF suit without a clear 4 so that I can pair Reed & Sue as a duo amongst my Marvel Cosmic dollies like Thanos and so on. I'd buy a Nathaniel in his Time Travel suit, Ponytail Franklin and Valeria Doom as well.

f74e64215dcfd503d12219ef7228bca1.jpg
Tc4OWVPh.jpg

Now that's what I want to see when I read a "Fantastic" book. Not a Rockman whining or another argument or adventures around the block. I suppose it's why I like Hickman's books; he focuses on the same type of character I like. Average joes like Johnny and Ben don't appeal to me. Hey, we all have our power fantasies...

I’m still a fan of Doom 2099 (I think he just joined a version of the Avengers).

Doom 2099 worked as a great anti-hero book because Doom himself was relatively unchanged. The world had changed. His values and ego were still there, but Latveria had gone to hell so badly in his absence that the country rallied behind his return and freedom fighter approach to reclaiming power. He was the lesser of two evils in a world where his narcissistic ideology actually worked in his favor.

I’m still a fan of Doom 2099 (I think he just joined a version of the Avengers).
He joined a version of Kang's Chrononauts.

uncanny_avengers_19_cover-e1396919076159.jpg

Doom 2099 worked as a great anti-hero book because Doom himself was relatively unchanged. The world had changed. His values and ego were still there, but Latveria had gone to hell so badly in his absence that the country rallied behind his return and freedom fighter approach to reclaiming power. He was the lesser of two evils in a world where his narcissistic ideology actually worked in his favor.
Well said. It was a pretty fun series, really. I wish they'd release it in Omnibus format already. It was fun, albeit silly at times. Very 90s. The equivalent of this gif.

internet-dial-up.gif

No, really.

Jw9WBE8.jpg

tg7UKaw.jpg

Doom x TRON crossover when?! I've had it on my mind since I saw Kris Anka's drawing.

9d37f170ebf5ac477b29a2ca7f486721.jpg

I'd easily stick a hypothetical Doom 2099 dolly next to my hypothetical Tron dollies...

All those "young Ming" soldiers are silly.
They can't all be winners.

He joined a version of Kang's Chrononauts.
Looks like he's joining the current Savage Avengers.

Anyway, I like that the figure here seems to come with at least three face options, the accessories are great, and I'm a fan of the fur collar look he sported from time to time. I can't think of too much else I'd ask them to add.

Back