1/6 INART (Queen Studio) - The Dark Knight - Joker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw your pic and I loved it. I'd much prefer to have a great rooted Strange instead of a Strane and five other figures in a display. But if I can't get a rooted Strange, if I can't get a rooted Doom and Anakin, then why even make the leap?

So... Ideas?
Thank you for the compliment on Strange. :) Rahmier did a full repaint and re-hair on him, so I sacrificed some wants on him for sure. :lol

As for ideas for you, I don't really know. I've never been one to feel nostalgic/sentimental about things, so I don't really feel a connection to many characters and/or properties. Or a need for many of them. In essence, my secret is is that I don't like many things and therefore my wants are far less than what I think most collectors have. :lol

Mmh... I am debating if the sculpted hair isn’t a better value. How much for a custom rooting?
I've gotten a few things rooted in my time and I generally pick the higher end artists. I've paid anywhere from $250-$400ish per sculpt.

tumblr_n73q3tYGOJ1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Ironically, it's one of the reasons why I'm passing on the rooted hair (the other being I'm just too poor to afford 1K dollies; I'm a filthy peasant who can only throw 1/3rd of a K at dolls, sigh...). If I get hooked on that, I won't be able to justify the sculpted hair versions. And then I literally won't have a collection. I'll pass on the Iron Men and the Doctor Stranges and the Vaders and everything. So I'll have Ledger Joker, Paul Atreides and... Gandalf? Sure, Rooted Hobo Neo will look that extra bit more realistic than my DS2 CumberStrange, but is that what I'm really after? No Star Wars display, no X-Men, just Ledger Joker, more Bale, maybe something like Battinson Ivy with rooted hair? I don't know, it'd be more impressive and realistic, but it wouldn't be "my" collection.

If my math's correct, POs go live about 2-3 hours before I wake up for the day. I'm just torn whether to PO instantly from Kit, or to give it some time and see if my usual store stocks them. Honestly, ordering from OSK saves me all the taxes, which is 50-70 € saved (which means that for about ever 4 figures, I can buy another one just on the money saved), so it's the logical option. But I'm scared of my country's awful post office, while the other store ships stuff through a courier so it's safer (plus the installment plan).

I wish I could PO the rooted on a drunken binge, cut myself off from other figures and stick only to rooted dollies, but... Nah.

PS: I am scared of rooted Paul wooing me to the extent of making me wish I'd POed rooted Joker...

cbc0a0892a621694a5795db3fecbac44.jpg
I think people underestimate how good sculpted hair can look, especially now when there's new advancements in techonology and materials that allow for better detail and more seperate parts, I think this Hot Toys Loki is the best example of what I'm talking about:
1647804836950.png

Years ago this wouldn't have been possible but now it is, and imo it looks just as impressive as rooted hair, WHEN that's done right, that's what a lot of people are taking for granted, sure Queen has done great work on their 1/4 scale artist editions with rooted hair but 1/6 is a different lane and harder to nail, you need a very talented artist or a group of several to achieve the level of quality you see in the proto on a mass produced figure.

I also think extreme realism is way too overhyped, if collectors really want 1/6 figures to start having seamless arms, rooted hair, glass eyes, silicone skin, the whole nine yards then they should just move on to statues, because with all of that you lose product longevity and articulation for something that looks hyper realistic but utlimately stops being an "action figure", not to mention you'll pay much more as well, I wholeheartedly believe Queen will increase their prices with each release because the price they're asking for the rooted versions is generous to say the least, most likely because they don't want to put everyone away as soon as they step into the 1/6 game but we know how it goes, "I'll never pay $200 for a figure!" "Well maybe $300 isn't so bad if the quality is there." "No way I'm paying $600 for a rooted hair figure!" "But $1000 for two sounds really tempting..." the cycle never ends.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's good to see some brands are now giving collectors the option to have these high end figures more readily availabe and at a decent price (for the time being) but I would hate to see everyone following suit and start making figures that aren't really figures, but more so display pieces that have limited articulation, will deteriorate faster and have their hair go all frizzy and fall off all the while making this hobby even more expensive than it already is and catering exclusivly to one side of the spectrum while plastic figures, with plastic accessories, sculpted hair and more articulation points can looks just as amazing and innovating, in my opinion that is.

I also think extreme realism is way too overhyped, if collectors really want 1/6 figures to start having seamless arms, rooted hair, glass eyes, silicone skin, the whole nine yards then they should just move on to statues, because with all of that you lose product longevity and articulation for something that looks hyper realistic but utlimately stops being an "action figure", not to mention you'll pay much more as well, I wholeheartedly believe Queen will increase their prices with each release because the price they're asking for the rooted versions is generous to say the least, most likely because they don't want to put everyone away as soon as they step into the 1/6 game but we know how it goes, "I'll never pay $200 for a figure!" "Well maybe $300 isn't so bad if the quality is there." "No way I'm paying $600 for a rooted hair figure!" "But $1000 for two sounds really tempting..." the cycle never ends.

Well said. I think that Loki is amazing, and having this Joker won't throw me into a tizzy worrying about if all my other figures are up to his caliber. There's other reasons to collect figures. I just think Ledger particularly looks good with the rooted hair. Two of my favorite figures last year weren't even 1/6 or "high end".

Last edited:
I’ve always been curious about having a figure with rooted hair. Given how “premium” this figure is, it would be a fun way to have something really stand out from my other Hot Toys - especially Joker.

I'm not bothered by having rooted haired figures next to sculpted haired one.

But there are certain figures that greatly benefit from rooted hair done right -- like this Joker. And Gandalf.
True but does a figure with short hair need to be rooted? Does a short beard need to be rooted? Not really, but that's what a lot of collectors are going to want in the future if Queen Studios indeed delivers on their promise of revolutionizing the industry with great looking mass produced rooted hair, I don't think we've reached that stage yet, just like seamless bodies, they look good with no joints but they're basically meant to be in museum poses, because longevity isn't their strong point, rooted hair eventually starts going crazy if not well looked after.

I'm not critizing anyone who likes or prefers these things, I would love to own a rooted Joker but I don't want to see everyone in the industry chasing the hype and money and abandoning all the brilliant advancements and techniques that have been developed in the past years with your standard plastic figures just because that's not what collectors view as amazing anymore.

This is not helping me make a decision. :unsure:
I’ve had a rooted sculpt done by Owen since 2015. It’s not frizzy or anything. Looks the same since I got it. If you handle it poorly, it’ll of course start to fall apart but that can be said for anything. Also for rooted hair, it’s very open to being adjusted by yourself with some water or hair product on your finger tips.

I am ready.
I'd be "ready" too if there was a chance of it happening. God knows I'd rather have 4-5 figures from every franchise and call it a day. It'd certainly be easier to maintain and even transport.

But what if such a thing doesn't happen, and a decade later I'm looking at all those HT Stranges and Reeds and Dooms, while I'm sitting there combing Hobo Neo's real hair?

God, I hate these final moments before the storm...

I managed to escape the SW insanity by making plan and actually sticking to it. I stuck only to ANH. Bought only the main protagonists and Vader. Boom. Done. I haven't been to the SW threads since. Though I have been tempted.
That's how I started. I said "Sith only". Then I realised I don't love Maul and Dooku, even if I need them, while I hated having missed out on Anakin and Obi-Wan. So I expanded it to Sith & Jedi only. But now I have to buy Ahsoka and then I'll have to get Rex to flank Generals Skywalker & Kenobi and Senator Palpatine and so on. Honestly, considering most of my favourite SW stuff are EU-only, I'd not even be getting my actual favourites even if I stuck with HT.

Thank you for the compliment on Strange. :) Rahmier did a full repaint and re-hair on him, so I sacrificed some wants on him for sure. :lol
No problem; it really looks great!

As for ideas for you, I don't really know. I've never been one to feel nostalgic/sentimental about things, so I don't really feel a connection to many characters and/or properties. Or a need for many of them. In essence, my secret is is that I don't like many things and therefore my wants are far less than what I think most collectors have. :lol
I'm a mixed bag in regards to nostalgia. Some things get to me, others don't. But I do have a quasi-addictive personality, and if I start something, I need to complete it. So a part of me does want to jump ship right now, before it all even starts. Less figures to worry about, less expenses, a more curated collection. But I worry that I may look abck and lament missing on the 8s because I held off on waiting for the 9s. On the other hand, I worry that I will give into my completionist monster and then a decade later I'll look back and curse myself for all the wasted money on plastic dolls.

I just can't decide...

david-bowie.gif

I think people underestimate how good sculpted hair can look, especially now when there's new advancements in techonology and materials that allow for better detail and more seperate parts, I think this Hot Toys Loki is the best example of what I'm talking about:
View attachment 567867
Years ago this wouldn't have been possible but now it is, and imo it looks just as impressive as rooted hair, WHEN that's done right, that's what a lot of people are taking for granted, sure Queen has done great work on their 1/4 scale artist editions with rooted hair but 1/6 is a different lane and harder to nail, you need a very talented artist or a group of several to achieve the level of quality you see in the proto on a mass produced figure.
Good point there. I brought up the HT Kylo Rens earlier. IMO, long hair that has volume can look great sculpted. And short hair doesn't even need the rooted treatment. But it does raise the bar. Maybe it's the illusion of it all? Another new extra bit to make the toys even shinier?

I also think extreme realism is way too overhyped, if collectors really want 1/6 figures to start having seamless arms, rooted hair, glass eyes, silicone skin, the whole nine yards then they should just move on to statues, because with all of that you lose product longevity and articulation for something that looks hyper realistic but utlimately stops being an "action figure",
That is another thing to consider. When you gather enough of them, they do start losing their hyper-realistic look and start blending together. They look great in the promo pics, but they're still toys locked behind glass cases. Do they really deserve going that far for them? But then the argument becomes "well, you'll have less and each one will have its own case, so they'll maintain their realism". For every argument there's a counter-argument and the cycle goes on.

not to mention you'll pay much more as well, I wholeheartedly believe Queen will increase their prices with each release because the price they're asking for the rooted versions is generous to say the least, most likely because they don't want to put everyone away as soon as they step into the 1/6 game but we know how it goes, "I'll never pay $200 for a figure!" "Well maybe $300 isn't so bad if the quality is there." "No way I'm paying $600 for a rooted hair figure!" "But $1000 for two sounds really tempting..." the cycle never ends.
And that's another bitter pill to swallow. Prices will keep increasing. Barebones Battinson goes for 280€-350€ for me, depending from where I order. It's why these start sounding more alluring to me, as they'll force me to be more selective and stop me from kidding myself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's good to see some brands are now giving collectors the option to have these high end figures more readily availabe and at a decent price (for the time being) but I would hate to see everyone following suit and start making figures that aren't really figures, but more so display pieces that have limited articulation, will deteriorate faster and have their hair go all frizzy and fall off all the while making this hobby even more expensive than it already and catering exclusivly to one side of the spectrum while plastic figures, with plastic accessories, sculpted hair and more articulation points can looks just as amazing and innovating, in my opinion that is.
Well, you've certainly given me some more things to think about. The added frailty didn't really cross my mind as I was focused on the added level of realism. It's not like we play with these things, but there needs to be a longetivity to all, otherwise what's the point?

Pros and Cons on both sides it seems.

Well said. I think that Loki is amazing, and having Joker won't throw he into a tizzy worrying about if all my other figures are up to his caliber. There's other reasons to collect figures. I just think Ledger particularly looks good with the rooted hair. Two of my favorite figure last weren't even 1/6 or "high end".
That is the main draw here, ultimately. His greasy hair really benefits from the format.

I honestly don't know if I could do that myself.

But there are certain figures that greatly benefit from rooted hair done right -- like this Joker. And Gandalf.
I think all medium-long haired characters would. Hence all the Sparrow mods. Female characters with their long manes are a given too.

-

If I'm being honest with myself, I'm just looking for a proper justification to stop myself from going all-in. If I say "rooted only (or at least mainly)" I shut the door on many others and thus stop myself from being spread too thin. My collection becomes tighter. But is it the right move?

Rooted hair frizz with the years?
Depends on the material that's been used and the condition you keep it in and how well you take care of it, needless to say you don't want to be moving the head or touching the hair a lot, I've seen some people ruining their rooted figures by treating it like a regular figure when it's not, but as @Hologram AI said it can be said of anything, take care of your collectibles and they will last longer but rooted hair will obviously never have the longevity sculpted hair does even if it does look damn good when done well.

Last edited:

Agreed. I've got my short-haired Alejandro (Benicio Del Toro) next to a rooted Bucky and Strange. His sculpt doesn't really warrant a need for rooted hair and he doesn't really look out of place either. Would I get him rooted down the road though? I wouldn't say no, but it's not something that bothers me. Rooting only becomes a priority for me if the hair is a bit longer and/or frames the face or if the sculpted hair restricts head movement. My Strange is rooted because I despised that piece of sculpted hair that hangs down on his forehead. :lol

I managed to escape the SW insanity by making plan and actually sticking to it. I stuck only to ANH. Bought only the main protagonists and Vader. Boom. Done. I haven't been to the SW threads since. Though I have been tempted.
This is what I did. Two years ago, I made a list of Star Wars and Marvel characters I wanted to have, and I've limited myself to that list. I made an exception for ARC Jesse because Hot Toys completely caught me off guard there, but outside of that, I've stuck to it. Can't keep buying for the sake of buying.

Queen Studio, you really started something. Hot Toys running scared, hope on the 1/6 forums.

Queen : But?

We still haven't picked up the TDK Joker or half the figures promised.

Queen : You will. We *can* bring 1/6 collectibles back.

What about escalation?

Queen : Escalation?

We start buying rooted hair figures, they (HT) start making 3.0's or 4.0's . We start spending thousands, they make even more expensive figures..

Queen : And?

And you're making works of art. Reasonable pricing. Now, take this guy.

[pulling out a file]

Double homicide, great dancer, has a taste for the theatrical. Leaves cigarette butts.

DWWAzwN.jpg

Queen: I'll look into it.

I never said thank you.

Queen: And you'll never have to.

🤭

I guess it’s upgrading time. I think my DX11 held up for the years. It be interesting to see how this PO and delivery play out hope it’s not a $hitshow trying to get an order in tonight/tomorrow.

Attachments

• 0F103D85-7573-4E01-84F4-E4FFA3EDE727.jpeg
    0F103D85-7573-4E01-84F4-E4FFA3EDE727.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 64
Back