1/6 Hot Toys -TMS 068 - The Book of Boba Fett: Fennec Shand

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 659875

So I just noticed what looks like a small paint chip in one of the braids on my figure. There's also a part on one of her other braids that's almost like melted. It feels sticky to the touch and looks that way as well. I have no idea how either of these things would have happened. I don't recall ever noticing these issues when I first got the figure so I'm not sure if they were always there or I'm just now noticing them.

I've had the helmet on Fennec twice and for no more than a day or so but this was a while ago and I never noticed anything after removing it. l'm still new to collecting but have tried to handle my figures with the utmost care. I do not recall pushing hard on the helmet when previously securing it though I acknowledge that this would seem like a plausible - or perhaps the most plausible - cause of the paint chip. What I don't understand is how this would in any way cause the plastic to melt.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone figured out how to get her hair to sit more closely to her face? This was originally why I put her helmet on in the first place. When I removed her helmet her hair looked a lot better but after a few hours it went right back to sticking out. Again though, after removing her helmet and studying her hair and the larger sculp, I never noticed any issues, which is why it is so odd to me now.

Have you checked whether the sticky stuff is actually glue/adhesive dribble? Like from gluing a part, or gloss used on eyes? If you are going to try to remove with a solvent, always go with a gentle solvent at first (try nail polish remover) and move up to the stronger stuff like Goop off. Lots of solvents will take that off - if it is a drip, you MIGHT be able to peel off with pointed tweezers. You might loose paint tho, so be ready with a small brush and some paint for touch up.

Sigh - for chips etc, retouch with acrylic paint - you probably didn't do anything. Sometimes the odd chip shows up. Glue dries up, and parts fall off, or they were never glued properly in the first place.

That doesn't mean HT is &^%$ it's just I found out pretty fast with this hobby to have a repair kit handy. Needles and threads, fabric glue, epoxy, and super glue depending on the job, basic paints, forceps, small sharp scissors, small screwdrivers, sandpaper, brushes.

Re the hair thing, heat up a lot with a blow dryer, wrap in cloth - basically you are remolding plastic, kind of. Let it cool. You may have to do more than once.

Sorry you are running into a few issues, but IMO these aren't bad to deal with. There's been some really horrible stuff like with an MCU Gamora whose arms would peel and figs you can't pose much because of permanent suit creases. I've got Fennec on order, looking forward to her.
Good luck!

Oh interesting, I didn't notice it was reversed in the instructions. It would have made more sense as a right hand, yeah. I was able to pose her removing it from the stock with the trigger hand, then throwing it with the 'knife hand'.

View attachment 659960
View attachment 659961

Cool glad another hand works; it just seemed so odd. Like I guess that was the prototype they took a picture of for the manual since it's the same hand. It's like someone mirrored the digital file and they made a left hand instead of right hand when it went to the factory.

HT have been doing weirdo things lately with hands. Only one fist instead of two, hands that don’t hold accessories properly. Although that one they have always had that problem. They need a hand consultant.

Have you checked whether the sticky stuff is actually glue/adhesive dribble? Like from gluing a part, or gloss used on eyes? If you are going to try to remove with a solvent, always go with a gentle solvent at first (try nail polish remover) and move up to the stronger stuff like Goop off. Lots of solvents will take that off - if it is a drip, you MIGHT be able to peel off with pointed tweezers. You might loose paint tho, so be ready with a small brush and some paint for touch up.

Sigh - for chips etc, retouch with acrylic paint - you probably didn't do anything. Sometimes the odd chip shows up. Glue dries up, and parts fall off, or they were never glued properly in the first place.

That doesn't mean HT is &^%$ it's just I found out pretty fast with this hobby to have a repair kit handy. Needles and threads, fabric glue, epoxy, and super glue depending on the job, basic paints, forceps, small sharp scissors, small screwdrivers, sandpaper, brushes.

Re the hair thing, heat up a lot with a blow dryer, wrap in cloth - basically you are remolding plastic, kind of. Let it cool. You may have to do more than once.

Sorry you are running into a few issues, but IMO these aren't bad to deal with. There's been some really horrible stuff like with an MCU Gamora whose arms would peel and figs you can't pose much because of permanent suit creases. I've got Fennec on order, looking forward to her.
Good luck!
Thanks for the sanity check. I've seriously been racking my brain thinking did I do something, and, if so, how and when?

I don't think the sticky stuff is any kind of adhesive mainly because the same part of the same braid on the other side of her head is also a little sticky though less so. I'm hesistant to try to probe it again since I don't want it to warp. Again, it's very subtle. It's more just the fact that I know it's there is what's bothering me. I found something on Reddit about someone dealing with a similiar issue. Apparently, it's possible for placistizers to leak. Not sure if this applies to Hot Toys or my own issue though. I'm just paranoid about something happening to my other figures.

With respect to the paint chip, I looked inside the helmet to see if I saw anything but didn't. So yeah maybe it was just bad luck. I'll definitely look into retouching with some acrylic paint - if not by myself then maybe via a local hobby shop. A basic repair kit sounds like a wise investment.

I appreciate the genuinely helpful advice. Getting back into collecting has been a lot of fun. Now I just want to make sure I do what I can to protect my figures so that I have them for years to come. Hope you fare better with your own Fennec.

Last edited:
The hunt begins...
20230916_194904.jpg

More from desert canyons and rocks...
View attachment 663950
View attachment 663951
View attachment 663952
View attachment 663953
View attachment 663954
View attachment 663955
View attachment 663956
I think she looks f'n fantastic out here! She really pops to life against the rocks.
These are the best pictures I’ve seen of this, amazing work! I would love to get this figure and do photography, but not even I can compete with these pictures!
I wish I lived somewhere like that, as much as I love my outdoor photography I kinda get tired of looking at the same trees all the time 🤣
Hell, if I lived in an area like this, and if it had a Forrest, and a lake/river nearby, and some snow in the winter, I’d just movie my whole collection permanently outside, sun damaged be damned. All figures just look so much better outside inside of a light box or a glass case with so much glare you can’t even see the damn thing (I would say that’s just my opinion, but jedibear’s pictures prove it a fact 😉)

These are the best pictures I’ve seen of this, amazing work! I would love to get this figure and do photography, but not even I can compete with these pictures!
I wish I lived somewhere like that, as much as I love my outdoor photography I kinda get tired of looking at the same trees all the time 🤣
Hell, if I lived in an area like this, and if it had a Forrest, and a lake/river nearby, and some snow in the winter, I’d just movie my whole collection permanently outside, sun damaged be damned. All figures just look so much better outside inside of a light box or a glass case with so much glare you can’t even see the damn thing (I would say that’s just my opinion, but jedibear’s pictures prove it a fact 😉)
Respect to those who use the ultimate care with their figs. I use what I think of as reasonable care - out of heavy heat, I used glass door bookshelves, no greasy hands, don't leave batteries in for the long term.

On the other hand I figure these are action figures and if they can't take some posing and messing with at that price point, then they are *&^% and I shouldn't be paying that much money.

I've futzed with figs, sprayed them with water, I'd take them outside more but I don't have real good circumstances for that. I remember hauling ASMUS's Thorin out into a snowstorm because I thought it would look cool, to take some shots. Mando has been sitting out on my desk for a few months now, fully kitted out. I bought them, I intend to enjoy them.

Anyway just paid Fennec off, hope she is in by the end of the week. I know I am behind the curve here. But try to pace myself with POs. Finally ordered the basic Kuill; got a Dewback on order and that will put a period on my S1/S2 Mando setup. For me. It's not comprehensive, but space and budget :eek:. Plus I collect other stuff. But, Fennec is so badass and so striking.

I just couldn't have Boba (the Mando 2 pack) and not have Fennec. Was so glad the shows kept her.

Hot Toys is just killin' it with its SW line. So Fennec came in and she deserves all the good things said. The mix of textures, detailed weapons, gorgeous sculpt, even the little cloth bag is well done with working drawstrings. And she LOOKS - Star Wars. Exotic without being crazy about it. My one complaint is the hand selection IMO is kinda paltry. :pfft:

I wouldn't object to having two of her - I figure maybe there will be some good sales, tho dunno am paying on a Dewback too. 😁 Now I just need "space woman fighter" from some 3rd party.:monkey3

hot_toys_fennecshand1_opt.jpg

hot_toys_fennecshand2_opt.jpg

Fennec > Sabine:monkey3

I just got an invoice for Fennec from KG Hobby, payable today but shipping out 7th December.

This was completely unexpected because I asked to cancel her with them over a year ago. They must've overlooked processing the cancellation, and now I have a second chance.

I haven't convinced myself yet whether I want her, so will have to watch some reviews. Looking at Ebay prices she isn't a cheap figure now so the invoice price is comparatively good.

Got the invoice as well. Thought i'd have to wait until 2024 following my last exchange with KGH.

Got the invoice as well.

After watching some videos, finishing with Reagan's, I decided to keep the order and pay for it.

Thought i'd have to wait until 2024 following my last exchange with KGH.

KGH are so slow now, not only to get stock but to send it out. I bought the Dark Trooper from them on 16th November and they only got it into the post today.

A minor point of defence for them this time was that they made a Facebook post six days ago warning...

🥹
Handling time might be a bit longer due to the craziness from Black Friday event! Thankyou! You Rock!
Hang tight, we're on it!

Back