1/6 Hot Toys - POTC5 - Jack Sparrow Figure (Artisan Edition + Regular) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would really love some more characters from this line. Very happy to have a Jack sparrow in collection again, this looks amazing!

I'm 100% certain this is a one-off, ease-of-reissue for HT... but I would love a Barbossa and new Davy Jones like everyone else.

Big opportunity for 3rd party to come through on this (despite the recent poor offerings)

Or, you know, you could buy the Regular edition and still get real leather for the usual price. Getting this worked up about the Artisan price when there are other, reasonably priced versions feels a bit silly, but I know the Hot Toys hate runs deep. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah, but you get a cloth bandana with the Artisan, that's gotta be worth another 60$
:monkey3

And I'd go for the Artisan if I could, because. Although - the 'bay has "preorders" for $1,000+ already -
sorry Jack, gave up the rum (mostly). I remember telling myself when figs starting hitting ~300 I was out. Statues over 1,000$.

OK, I lied, sometimes. But mostly not. I really don't begrudge anyone who can afford $1,000 figs or $3,000 statues regularly. But unless Depp is showing up at the door with a bottle of barrillito 3 star and the fig, a man's gotta know his limitations.😁 Especially when someone like InArt will say "hold my beer" and in few years there will be some uber-anniversary release.:banghead

Meanwhile, the real question is will there be an HT Barbossa and I'd like a Tia Dalma even if 3rd party.

Or, you know, you could buy the Regular edition and still get real leather for the usual price. Getting this worked up about the Artisan price when there are other, reasonably priced versions feels a bit silly, but I know the Hot Toys hate runs deep. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes I was being sarcastic (or was I?). I have been collecting HT since 2008 and have had or have over 150 of their offerings. So I am a fan— but I will pass on this (I still have Cannibal Jack/ E. Swann and box DX 6/15) that will never leave my collection!).

For those who want/need this - all three off these SKU are great options. Prices are getting out of had generally in 1:6

This Artisan Sparrow better have the best hairwork and bandana application I've ever seen...

...or I will be sad, and very wary of buying any Artisan in the future especially under these sneaky "rushed" circumstances.

Thank goodness the Joker tribe will get theirs first so they can go ballistic on HT... then the Star wars crowd. By the time they get to Sparrow, maybe they'll throw a true bonus in.

This Artisan Sparrow better have the best hairwork and bandana application I've ever seen...

...or I will be sad, and very wary of buying any Artisan in the future especially under these sneaky "rushed" circumstances.

Thank goodness the Joker tribe will get theirs first so they can go ballistic on HT... then the Star wars crowd. By the time they get to Sparrow, maybe they'll throw a true bonus in.
I'll find out if my Artisan Scarlet Witch shows up ahead- am thinking she's the toughest to put real hair on and not have it look like a poofy wig, Straight part, no bandana or waves to cover anything.

FWIW, I love how my WB100 Wonder Woman's hair turned out, but that's obviously a much different style than Joker, Anakin, or Jack will need.

I expect Artisan to retain its value well -- heck, that WW (not technically Artisan but close enough) is going for 2X on resale -- so my thought process is that if Joker's hair doesn't satisfy me in-hand, I'll just sell to get my money back and go grab the sculpted version instead.

I don't expect it to compare to InArt's rooting, honestly. When it comes to the Artisan line, you're paying for exclusivity as much as quality, it seems.

I'm 100% certain this is a one-off, ease-of-reissue for HT... but I would love a Barbossa and new Davy Jones like everyone else.

Big opportunity for 3rd party to come through on this (despite the recent poor offerings)
3rd party already came through - put him with the Flashpoint Princess of Atlantis in a Courtroom Diorama... Exhibit A - what was left on the sheets... sorry had to do it.

My problem with Artisan it's what Hot Toys should already been implementing, without a premium price.
It's like when companies release Deluxe versions, they are simply going to make regular editions DX....

I really dislike them essentially making the Artisan behind a paywall.

You kind of see this how videogames progressed from a complete game, to well DLC is "extra" content, to well the entire game is already made, but to get access to the 100% complete game, give us more money.

My problem with Artisan it's what Hot Toys should already been implementing, without a premium price.
It's like when companies release Deluxe versions, they are simply going to make regular editions DX....

I really dislike them essentially making the Artisan behind a paywall.

You kind of see this how videogames progressed from a complete game, to well DLC is "extra" content, to well the entire game is already made, but to get access to the 100% complete game, give us more money.
For stuff like SERS, authentic leather, absolutely. But the rooting can't become a standard thing, not at Hot Toys' current price or output. Look how slowly InArt's production line is coming along, and they've admitted that it's because rooting is time consuming. For the number of figures that Hot Toys solicits, it's just not tenable. They already struggle with keeping on schedule. The obvious answer seems to be "solicit fewer figures, then" but that unfortunately means prices go up to make up the difference. Capitalism sucks, no matter how you slice it.

Nah man, you’re not a weirdo if you didn’t vibe with the Dx06. I didn’t either. I bought it when it came out back then because it was a HT product and was too blinded by the HT logo and shininess of “A NEW HT DX FIGURE” to see that both the neutral and smiling portraits looked nothing like Depp to my eyes. Some people swear by it, but I just can’t, no matter the angle, squint or filter.

Then came along this:

View attachment 695353
View attachment 695354
View attachment 695355
View attachment 695356
View attachment 695357
View attachment 695358
View attachment 695359

Taken from my review, where I also mentioned that the neutral sculpt has a great Depp likeness, however it was way too serious for the character.

If anyone that owns the DX15 and missed out on this new artisan version…IMO, don’t feel bad about it. The DX15 is still a phenomenal figure. I hate HT, but I will praise and acknowledge quality when I see and feel it.

The neutral sculpt on this new sparrow figure echoes too much of the DX06…and the smiling portrait isn’t THAT MUCH of an ‘improvement’ from the DX15 IMO-In My Opinion (in case some get upset with my thoughts😅)

In any event, congrats to those that snagged it. If your collection was missing a Sparrow and you were on the market for one, can’t go wrong with the artisan version.
I agree the DX15 was a massive improvement over the DX06 in the likeness and tailoring department but I personally always preferred DX06's wheel and the hat, which I noticed you have on your DX15. The serious sculpt was good but never felt like Jack to me, too serious.

But I will have to HEAVILY disagree with the new smiling sculpt not being a vast improvement, the DX15's smiling sculpt just looked weird, the new one is literal perfection.
1711847661288.jpeg

Secured the Artisan through Sideshow. Gotta decide whether or not I’ll keep it or get the Deluxe.
I think you should get both. Once they release you can decide which to sell off. Which is what I will do but I might keep both versions. I feel the Artisan will be better in hand and people will be looking for either when they reach waitlist completely.

I think you should get both. Once they release you can decide which to sell off. Which is what I will do but I might keep both versions. I feel the Artisan will be better in hand and people will be looking for either when they reach waitlist completely.
I’m not that crazy 😅 I’d rather put that other money towards another figure haha. I’m leaning towards keeping the Artisan. I’d be more decided, just wish it was cheaper for what it is (my own unpopular personal opinion).

I’m not that crazy 😅 I’d rather put that other money towards another figure haha. I’m leaning towards keeping the Artisan. I’d be more decided, just wish it was cheaper for what it is (my own unpopular personal opinion).
I understand had it been around just shy $400-450 it would be fine but yeah close to 500 it's getting to InArt prices which we have no idea how HT first Artisan figures will be but hopefully when Joker and Anakin drop and we see how well it looks it will be a bit more at ease with this.

Back