1/6 Hot Toys - MMS664-D48 - Iron Man - Iron Man Mark 3 (2.0 For Real This Time!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could anyone put this side by side with the Mark I, Mark V and Mark I WM?
Done
How does this look next to the Mark II 2.0 diecast?
See one of my earlier photos did it with the previous diecast mark 3 which as far as I'm aware is the same.mould just with the rivets in the armour. Sizewise should be identical.

Attachments

• 20231020_120916.jpg
    20231020_120916.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I agree with you on a lot of this. I love my my 1/4 figures, but there’s something about the 1/6 scale that’s just perfect for collecting. The 1/4 are more like poseable statues. The difference in more accurate proportions is more noticeable on clothed figures like the Mandalorian and Batman. You’re right these IM figures are getting better with their own proportions, and the difference is less impressive. Heck my 1/4 Mark IV and the 1/6 version are nearly identical (the 1/4 scale has a much more accurate satin finish though). On this Mark III I do prefer the 1/4 because, to me, the limbs on the 1/6 look too stretched out. But I’ll try to get one all the same.

The 1/4 versions should look better. Really the biggest selling point about them since they have more room to play with in getting the proportions and details right.

That said, they're getting it pretty damn close with this one. I remember being more wowed with the difference on the Mark 42/43 when they released the 1/4 figure for that one. Over the years, I haven't been as impressed with the 1/4 IM figures as the 1/6 figures slowly improved over the years. Like the recent 1/4 Mark 4 hasn't wowed me at all. These 1/6 IM figures are slowly getting more filled out and proportioned. Only took them doing them a million times over. :lol

k5VqVRk.png

Dude a 1/4 diecast would cost over $1,000 and weigh like 20 lbs.

The 1/4 MK 3 does have pretty great proportions though. Also prefer the color.

People just don't collect 1/4 action figures... even the sold out ones the aftermarket isn't very high (some are even cheaper than the 1/6 versions).
Yeah I bet the overall scale and cost make it a less attractive collectible. The boxes are cumbersome and hard to store.

The 1/4 versions should look better. Really the biggest selling point about them since they have more room to play with in getting the proportions and details right.

That said, they're getting it pretty damn close with this one. I remember being more wowed with the difference on the Mark 42/43 when they released the 1/4 figure for that one. Over the years, I haven't been as impressed with the 1/4 IM figures as the 1/6 figures slowly improved over the years. Like the recent 1/4 Mark 4 hasn't wowed me at all. These 1/6 IM figures are slowly getting more filled out and proportioned. Only took them doing them a million times over. :lol

k5VqVRk.png
iron man GIF

People just don't collect 1/4 action figures... even the sold out ones the aftermarket isn't very high (some are even cheaper than the 1/6 versions).
Thanks my friend. I actually just started collecting so didn't know much about those 1/4 figures. Even this figure will be my very first Iron Man :)

Honestly, I would easily pay over 1k for an all diecast film accurate 1/4 Iron Man Mark III. That thing would be badass.

For all Justin’s talking in reviews about HT Iron Man figs looking like a “dude in a suit”, honestly there’s no way a human could fit in this cgi render unless they had a 20 inch waist, 10 inch thighs and their arms were completely detached from their body, lol. I don’t think the artists really cared how believable it looked. The practical suits were more believable but couldn’t really be moved in, which is why they were almost completely done away with in subsequent films.

IMG_1662.jpeg

In some Iron Man thread a couple of years back, I posted a Marvel featurette about the design and development process for Iron Man.

They explicitly moved away from man-in-a-suit in favour of "making the suit the superhero".

At no time
did they design an armour (outside of the Mark I perhaps) that was meant to realistically fit a human being inside. There were even renders by the FX guys illustrating how only an unrealistically emaciated and stretched human could fit in the actual suits used for animation.

I have no idea where that video went but it's somewhere down a YouTube rabbit hole or buried in this forum.

The suit is the character and exists in an imaginary space of its own.

In some Iron Man thread a couple of years back, I posted a Marvel featurette about the design and development process for Iron Man.

They explicitly moved away from man-in-a-suit in favour of "making the suit the superhero".

At no time
did they design an armour (outside of the Mark I perhaps) that was meant to realistically fit a human being inside. There were even renders by the FX guys illustrating how only an unrealistically emaciated and stretched human could fit in the actual suits used for animation.

I have no idea where that video went but it's somewhere down a YouTube rabbit hole or buried in this forum.

The suit is the character and exists in an imaginary space of its own.
I think this is it (I remember watching it because you or someone else on the forum mentioned it):

The thing I miss about IM1 was how they got Stan Winston Studios to design a full practical Mark III suit that could be worn on set. But after the first IM movie, it lost that realism/tangibility as it became more reliant on CGI.

Back