1/6 Hot Toys - MMS664-D48 - Iron Man - Iron Man Mark 3 (2.0 For Real This Time!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that the Tony heads/faces with any given Iron Man suit are only good for closeups (of the face) - dezoom for the full figure and you can see he'd be completely stretched.
It's how they designed the armour for the films. They were well aware it was unrealistic. They wanted a superhero, not practical power armour. It's more obvious with some than others of course.

iron man GIF

There were a couple blogger photos where the proportions on this looked decent (with the unhelmeted head, even), but for the most part, my original concerns about the body proportions still remain (chest is too big, body is oversized). I think this will be one I need to see in hand and compare to the v1 before deciding which to keep. For all its faults, the first diecast release looks like a person wearing a suit of armor while the new one looks like a person swimming in a suit of armor. All the new diecast figures are just too big IMO.

Is there something in particular that needs redoing about the previous Diecast Mark VII? I can understand why this Mark III diecast 2.0 was needed because the last one was undersized compared to all the others.
I think the torso on it is too big/barrel-chested, probably so they could do the pod mode feature. And the knees look a bit weird when bent, also because of the pod mode. I'm also pretty sure I'm in the minority as far as not liking the diecast Mark VII figure (and even preferring the undersized v1 diecast Mark III), so I don't see another version coming anytime soon, especially for fixes that HT would consider minor.

Ita funny you say that because all the old suits look like only a kid fits inside it.

This revision is made a bit bigger where an actual adult can fit inside it.

Its not without its faults though.

In that last photos with the pieces of the leg opened, what the hell, how is suposed to be there the human leg? it's absurd.

In the threezero it seems a guy in a suit. In the hot toys is just... a toy
Not that I disagree about some of the HT design choices (the calves are obviously silly), but I don't see a huge difference in 'realistic' proportions in the Threezero models; given that the movie suits themselves aren't designed with realistic proportions I don't see how they could be. While there were practical suits or parts thereof in earlier iterations, the CG models they used for the films couldn't hold a human if you scrutinized them closely.

I think the torso on it is too big/barrel-chested, probably so they could do the pod mode feature. And the knees look a bit weird when bent, also because of the pod mode. I'm also pretty sure I'm in the minority as far as not liking the diecast Mark VII figure (and even preferring the undersized v1 diecast Mark III), so I don't see another version coming anytime soon, especially for fixes that HT would consider minor.
The VII is a beautiful rendering but the knee region drives me nuts ... so attenuated and wispy, looks too much like a robot from an anime.

Not that I disagree about some of the HT design choices (the calves are obviously silly), but I don't see a huge difference in 'realistic' proportions in the Threezero models; given that the movie suits themselves aren't designed with realistic proportions I don't see how they could be. While there were practical suits or parts thereof in earlier iterations, the CG models they used for the films couldn't hold a human if you scrutinized them closely.
Bro please keep in mind Threezero's figures are only 1/12 scale. But still, apart from the elbow joints they look much better than HT ones (talking about Mark 7 here) If they are to work on a bigger scale they will certainly make the figure look more realistic IMO.

Last edited:
Ita funny you say that because all the old suits look like only a kid fits inside it.

This revision is made a bit bigger where an actual adult can fit inside it.

Its not without its faults though.
I agree about the old plastic suits, and the v1 diecast was too short, but some small proportion tweaks would have made it work better. The 2.0 brings it in line with the rest of the current diecast line, for better or worse.

While there were practical suits or parts thereof in earlier iterations, the CG models they used for the films couldn't hold a human if you scrutinized them closely.

They did do both partial armor and all CGI, but even the partial armor suits rarely seem to have entirely covered his limbs. Joints would just be too improbable.

You’re correct that there’s just no way a real person could fit in a suit like we see on screen. And the logic gets worse when scaled down.

It’s never really bothered me personally on most figures though. Just something we deal with. As long as it’s not something super weirdly proportioned at least.

IMG_4050.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4049.jpeg

View attachment 668997

There you have. The proportions doesn’t have sense. For me is an easy pass. Having INART or other people doing things with a bit of love, we cannot pay more for these things. It’s my favourite iron man and i actually don’t have any other iron man in my collection but my money it’s still my favorite thing. I’m tired of paying whatever they do. A bit of effort and then i will see.

If they Release a proportional figure with good battle damage, usb powered etc then maybe.

You do you, but you’ve chosen a photo with the figure at an angle and pose that specifically highlights some of its weaknesses.

The joints on these figures look the worst when they’re bent in certain ways. But it would be difficult to engineer and produce a better looking option that won’t cause problems like scratching up the paint. The alternative would be to have preposed limbs but this is still an action figure first and foremost.

You said you don’t have an Iron Man figure. A lot of us have had many of them. Some things don’t make sense till you have one in hand and move things around. Compromises have to be made for the sake of functionality, especially for limbs and joints.

InArt has not made a fully mechanical figure like Iron Man yet so that’s not an entirely fair comparison. It’s popular to knock Hot Toys but their Iron Man figures tend to be usually quite awesome in-hand. They have a lot of experience with them and the engineering can be very impressive.

Overpriced? A bit. Could be better? Of course. But I do think they try with them. It was their bread and butter for a long time. This figure looks pretty solid and decently proportioned in many of the photos. It’s just down to how it’s posed and displayed, but that’s true of any figure.

IMG_4052.jpeg
IMG_4054.jpeg

Realistically, some concessions and compromises have to be made and forgiven when the real life suit looked like this:

IMG_4053.jpeg

Last edited:
It's possible, I think up until a few months ago that used to be the case. From what I've seen recently with the past few figures there's at least a month delay from when blogger pics go out, then Sideshow releases an unboxing video, then shipping notices soon after.

Back