1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS4??D20 - Iron Man 2 - Mark IV Diecast Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late reply - I thought I got a notification if someone replied to my post - I've just seen this.

Here's all the Tonys I have at the moment. Silver Centurion, Mark 6 diecast, Mark 5 diecast and Mark 46. Only the Mark 46 looks like RDJ, the two helmeted sculpts look like people, just not him. The Mark 5, now reused for the Mark 4 doesn't even look like a real person, let alone RDJ.

I painted portraits for a living about fifteen years ago so I know how hard it is to capture a likeness. I even spent ten minutes messing about with the the head in Photoshop moving the features about but I couldn't make it look like him - it's off everywhere. The shape of the face is wrong, the mouth is too wide, the nose is too straight, sharp and the nostrils are the wrong shape. The eyes are too narrow and too close together and the brow slopes back too much. It really looks nothing like him. :)

View attachment 432973

You just can't say they look nothing like him. When I look at any of those I see and think RDJ and not some random Tony Stark cosplayer.

Sorry for the late reply - I thought I got a notification if someone replied to my post - I've just seen this.

Here's all the Tonys I have at the moment. Silver Centurion, Mark 6 diecast, Mark 5 diecast and Mark 46. Only the Mark 46 looks like RDJ, the two helmeted sculpts look like people, just not him. The Mark 5, now reused for the Mark 4 doesn't even look like a real person, let alone RDJ.

I painted portraits for a living about fifteen years ago so I know how hard it is to capture a likeness. I even spent ten minutes messing about with the the head in Photoshop moving the features about but I couldn't make it look like him - it's off everywhere. The shape of the face is wrong, the mouth is too wide, the nose is too straight, sharp and the nostrils are the wrong shape. The eyes are too narrow and too close together and the brow slopes back too much. It really looks nothing like him. :)

View attachment 432973

I think the 46/47 head sculpt is the best one by far, and the helmeted one that came with the DC VI is pretty solid as well, but the DC V is absolute trash and it shows even more when compared to the 46 sculpt.

Aye, 46/47 is the best thus far...but I can't say I've been truly blown away by any of the Stark sculpts to date.

Am I right in thinking the 50 comes with the same HS as 46/47 just repainted?

Shipping from China is sooo screwed up right now it's impossible to say when anything will show up.

Don't they send things direct from HK sometimes? Also, I wonder if the neon tech IM will be delayed?

I think the 46/47 head sculpt is the best one by far, and the helmeted one that came with the DC VI is pretty solid as well, but the DC V is absolute trash and it shows even more when compared to the 46 sculpt.

I agree gmoney. It really lets the DC V figure down. I got it out the box, stared at it in disbelief and put it away again. It looks even worse mounted because apart from looking nothing like him it's too small. They need to give the 46 head with every Iron Man figure.

You just can't say they look nothing like him. When I look at any of those I see and think RDJ and not some random Tony Stark cosplayer.

Come on, you're joking right? It's meant to be a likeness. The bar has to be higher than not looking like a random cos player.

Come on, you're joking right? It's meant to be a likeness. The bar has to be higher than not looking like a random cos player.

If you dislike the RDJ likenesses, what say you regarding the recent IW cap? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark 46>Mark 6 >Mark 4. I don't think this is disputed. Mark 46 is stunning, Mark 6 is good but no 46. I agree Mark 4 feels dated, and not a great likeness.

IW Cap or Mark 4 for the worst likeness is interesting. I might have to go IW Cap on that one. Though some people thinkin IW CAP and Mark 4 are dead on likenesses, so maybe I need some prescription glasses.

A truly great likeness shouldn't have anyone using the words ''looks nothing like..''. So, although I consider that a touch hyperbolic, there's no smoke without fire. So I guess the head that comes with this isn't as good as I thought which is a slight bummer as I considered it a selling point for me buying my solitary Iron Man. I'll have to look out for a better alternate that can hopefully be used on the Mark IV.

as long as it looked like him with the sunglasses on, that's all that really mattered to me, once those are on, its spot-on anyway
41436963_1656963534429334_2751288666075693056_n.jpg

No I'm not joking, I know sculpts look different to people but it's still RDJ close. Are you the one joking? Like I said, you can't say it doesn't look anything like him because that's just incorrect.

Presumably they'll get a few other things in the same delivery - neon tech IM?

Didn’t get a notice yet for Neon Tech but 2nd batch of concept cap will arrive around November 27. Got notice today for that.

Edit: not necessarily 2nd batch, but a batch.

Gotta vent a little bit. I finally received my MKIV with the Suit-up Gantry from Sideshow today (I had it on a payment plan). At first it seemed pretty odd - the shipping box didn't have a Hot Toys label anywhere and it was bent to hell, like someone sat on it. When I opened it up, there was foam and paper inside to pad the Iron Man box. The actual Iron Man box was damaged too. There was even cheap "sticky" plastic to mimic the normal plastic that vertically wraps around the Iron Man box. When I opened it up, one of the extra hands to the figure was not situated properly and was crushed against the foam "Iron Man MKIV" cover and left a huge imprint. The internal foam box looked like someone had taken a razor blade to it as there were huge scratches all over it. The Iron Man figure itself was missing all of the plastic wrappings around the legs, arms, etc. It was pretty clear that the figure had already been used/opened by someone else.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I just opened a case with Sideshow Customer Support. I'm really pissed that they tried to pull this on me. I've ordered at least 20 figures from them over the years and have never had this happen. Why would they do something like this?

Gotta vent a little bit. I finally received my MKIV with the Suit-up Gantry from Sideshow today (I had it on a payment plan). At first it seemed pretty odd - the shipping box didn't have a Hot Toys label anywhere and it was bent to hell, like someone sat on it. When I opened it up, there was foam and paper inside to pad the Iron Man box. The actual Iron Man box was damaged too. There was even cheap "sticky" plastic to mimic the normal plastic that vertically wraps around the Iron Man box. When I opened it up, one of the extra hands to the figure was not situated properly and was crushed against the foam "Iron Man MKIV" cover and left a huge imprint. The internal foam box looked like someone had taken a razor blade to it as there were huge scratches all over it. The Iron Man figure itself was missing all of the plastic wrappings around the legs, arms, etc. It was pretty clear that the figure had already been used/opened by someone else.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I just opened a case with Sideshow Customer Support. I'm really pissed that they tried to pull this on me. I've ordered at least 20 figures from them over the years and have never had this happen. Why would they do something like this?

I’d be interested to hear what the result is. That’s terrible.

Surely they would know a collector understands what the default Hot Toys Box is and an alternative box should raise red flags immediately. Also, terrible business ethics.

Back