1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cheapskate in me wishes the grappling hook wasn't an exclusive so I could wait for a coupon

You can probably wait for at least ten coupons, maybe even a dozen. If you order right away, you'll probably be locked in with an NRD and that's just silly.

dont understand why people saying there is not likeness.. I looks fantastic !

I WISH THIS WOULD BE 1/4 :( :(

I agree there is something slightly off about the sculpt. Maybe the eyes are too deep inset. Maybe the expression being so stern also takes away a bit. I think Sideshow's just about beats it. Regardless, it's a better likeness than their terrible Han (that I'm getting anyway :monkey3), and in some angles it looks great.

It's a nice set with lots of goodies, although I too am puzzled as to why they're clearly using the ESB lightsaber hilt! Perhaps it's just a placeholder?

This is what's missing from the HT sculpt. Even though the SSC version is also idealized, there's still leaps more likeness and a youthful appearance.

View attachment 187580

Piper, the SSC proto sculpt looks great. I'd even agree that the likeness is stronger than Hot Toys'. However, there's no way in Hoth that the SSC production piece is going to come out looking like that, whereas the HT version will come close.

I would be happy with any of these, but as before odds are that the SSC won't look like this when it arrives in customers hands.

LOOK.jpg

As a painter, I can tell you how hard it is to do blonde hair...it does indeed turn out looking like yellow paint most of the time.

I've had a lot of success lately using metallic paints for blonde hair - doing it in layers with bronze, brown, and gold. It's not for everyone, though.

If it comes out like this, I'll probably give it a light gold highlight.

Just picking on you because you're the last one to say it. But what's slightly off with the sculpt? I think sometimes we forget these faces are an inch tall, and we complain when a likeness is "90%". And now we have this, which to me, looks as great as you could ever hope for, and people are still nit picking.

Sometimes this hobby is exhausting.

Based on the initial first impression when opening up page “WOW, this is beautiful”. Scrolling down the rest of the images feeling still the same. This is a great piece. Yes it may be slightly off but comments like this is expected when we are to pay more than $200.

Lets put it this way, initial first impression when opening up Bruce Wayne….”WTF is this”!!!!

I would be happy with any of these, but as before odds are that the SSC won't look like this when it arrives in customers hands.

View attachment 187583

This is the side-by-side I was waiting for. I think as it stands (protos) the SSC does look (slightly) better. The HT has their trademark stylized look but I still think less so than their Bespin Luke. You can, however, see a progression (I think) from this ANH version to the DX07 sculpt.

I'd be happy with either of them as-is, I think. But chances are if I do wind up with a Luke in my collection it'll be a pilot (Preferably snowspeeder) and keep his helmet on anyway.

I really want that TK-421 belt, though. :stormtroo

odds are that the SSC won't look like this when it arrives in customers hands.

Saying this about the HT sculpt would actually be positive. Looking at SSC figures from years back isn't an indication of how they'll handle this figure. Knowing that they're not using a multi-part head assembly and judging the level of consistency between Hoth prototypes and final release, I'm bullish on the prospects. My current plan is to buy the SSC head sculpt in a few months (not getting Red 5) and swapping it onto the HT body next year. Not big on bashing/swapping on higher end figures, but I as I'm going to do it for DX05 Indy, this will only be number 2.

Yooooo I swear the actor himself could shrink down to 1/6th scale and some of you would still find issues with it :lol

Some of ya are just ridiculous man :lol

I hate everyone here who complains. Be grateful you live in a time that this type of quality even exists.

I know what I'm doing with my Training Helmet and Remote! Popping it onto my SS Luke from back in the day! Problem solved!

:lol :lol... but a good point :lecture

This is what's missing from the HT sculpt. Even though the SSC version is also idealized, there's still leaps more likeness and a youthful appearance.

I completely agree... I think both are very good sculpts, but the youthfulness of the Sideshow sculpt puts it over the top. I actually think if you swapped them that the HT would work great for a X-Wing figure and the Sideshow works better for Farmboy. But, sadly the Sideshow head is unlikely to survive production so it's a moot point.

It will be funny if the HT figure with a crap-ton of accessories comes in less than the $240 X-Wing figure that went up for pre-order months ago. And I'm pretty confident that will be the case.

You can probably wait for at least ten coupons, maybe even a dozen. If you order right away, you'll probably be locked in with an NRD and that's just silly.

I will pre-order the exclusive... if it's true that HT is scaling back the ES I don't want to miss out on the extra here. And at least with McFly the exclusive sold out very early and I don't think has ever come back as an option to buy, only a waitlist. And you can't use a coupon code for the waitlist.

Back