1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: Rey (Resistance Outfit Ver.)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh that does the trick quite nicely, Ninja4H. Finding one of those without buying the Boss figure will be a challenge.

20200107_153341.jpg

On the topic of ponchos: I fashioned one on mine as well. Basically sprayed Sideshow Luke's Endor poncho an army grey and it got close enough despite the glaring inaccuracies. I've since cut the front bit a bit shorter and split it down the side.

That MGS3 SE looks great.

Well took my first shot at making a wired poncho for Rey. Unfortunately while the rayon fabric looks nice on it's own, it ended up looking a bit thin and cheap on the figure, so think I might have to try a slightly thicker material. And it's also just a straight grey in hand, but my camera insists on making it look slightly purplish for some annoying reason.

20200120_203305 (2).jpg

20200120_203410 (2).jpg

20200120_203337 (2).jpg

20200120_203456 (2).jpg

Looks great DJ. I think from reference photos from the movie, the poncho itself is very thin anyway but a thicker material would definitely compensate the 'weight'iness of a figure.

I went for the same windswept look on mine with a painted MS3 SE poncho which I managed to score separate from the figure (thanks Ninja for the heads up). Might have to give the paint another go.

82544702_539893229993550_12070408584953856_n.jpg

Thanks. And yeah it was a thin material in the movie, but also had a slightly stiffer look like yours above. So I need to find something more like that, and which also reads better on camera.

Well took my first shot at making a wired poncho for Rey. Unfortunately while the rayon fabric looks nice on it's own, it ended up looking a bit thin and cheap on the figure, so think I might have to try a slightly thicker material. And it's also just a straight grey in hand, but my camera insists on making it look slightly purplish for some annoying reason.

View attachment 476535

View attachment 476536

View attachment 476537

View attachment 476538

That looks really nice.

Ok, I admit this was unexpected, but I suppose a great many unexpected things happen when you’re within the context of grown men playing with dolls, but this shoot got me a little emotional (I freely relinquish the points off my man card).

This is how the saga should have ended IMHO. Finn was the only one who loved Rey enough to deserve her. He was the one who ?came back? over and over again for Rey even as her Family did not. As soon as Chewie told Rey that coming back for her on Star Killer Base was Finn?s idea, Rey?s heart was melted. Finn?s entire existence in the ST was being worried about Rey, caring about Rey, trying to protect and save Rey.....Loving Rey.

JJ set this up at the beginning, even Rian carried it through to a more than passing extent. But JJ had to drop the ball, IMHO, likely because they new TROS had to be a fan pleaser, and the Reylo crowd was probably a bit more vocal (at least in the ears of the ones making the REAL decision, as in probably not JJ).

I found their relationship to be extremely organic and real feeling, not the forced chemistry of Reylo. Dyad in the Force, ok. I like it. Reylo, nope!

Well anyway, here?s the pic that came out of those emotions. I?ll do this right with TROS Rey and Finn as soon as I have the opportunity.

Hope you like!

70A874CF27464ABDB538.jpeg

Last edited:
lol Finn as a whole was wasted the entire ST. He was pitched as an interesting character (Stormtrooper who defects and is either force sensitive or jedi according to teasers/trailers, and frankly a more serious char) and then he's reduced to the token comedy relief screaming "whooooo!!!" in every movie. I swear his two most used lines in the trilogy are "wooo" and "rey!". I feel bad for Boyega, his character was treated like a joke. Compare Finn to something like Attack the Block where Boyega shows his real acting chops when given usable material. Finn probably would have gotten a lot of Poe's content if Poe died like he was originally supposed to.

lol Finn as a whole was wasted the entire ST. He was pitched as an interesting character (Stormtrooper who defects and is either force sensitive or jedi according to teasers/trailers, and frankly a more serious char) and then he's reduced to the token comedy relief screaming "whooooo!!!" in every movie. I swear his two most used lines in the trilogy are "wooo" and "rey!". I feel bad for Boyega, his character was treated like a joke. Compare Finn to something like Attack the Block where Boyega shows his real acting chops when given usable material. Finn probably would have gotten a lot of Poe's content if Poe died like he was originally supposed to.

Agree but IMO good ideas but poor follow-through in favor of time spent on Mcguffins like that Sith knife thing (speakin' as someone who luvs stuff like that usually esp. when I can collect a replica) and shoehorning in BS is a hallmark of the ST.

And doin' customs of figs (or "playing with ur dolls":cool:) is just part of hobby evolving, far as I can tell. Depicting what could've or might've been. The best of 'em look like a staggering amount of work.

It was far from my favorite storyline in the movie, but Finn did at least get a halfway decent character arc in TLJ, and more to do than just yell "Rey" every 10 minutes or be her sounding board. And I thought his dynamic with Rose in that movie actually worked pretty well.

As much as I generally love the PT, there's no question it didn't do nearly as good a job developing Finn and Poe as it did with Rey and Kylo, which is a shame.

They oversold the 'trio' aspect of Poe, Finn and Rey going into TFA and once again for TROS marketing. Poe should have just worked as glorified cameo-fringe character much like Wedge. And the whole Finn changing the hearts of FO troops to uprise seemed like it was written on paper to happen - when he actually does less in TROS than he does in TLJ.

As for shipping, I think Rian had free reign in determining who got with who but I foresaw long before TLJ that redeemed Ben and Rey would be the pairing.

The Rey/Kylo dynamic was my favorite thing about the sequels and has been since I first saw TFA. And yes, I've been a Reylo since TFA as well. That was where the dramatic meat of the story was.

JJ's blu-ray commentary about Kylo looking like a prince, Rey running into a forest like in a fairytale, and the way their meeting and interrogation played out vs. Poe's.... Reylo was on the table post TFA. RJ just picked it up and furthered it and made it more obvious.

That doesn't mean I didn't want great material for Finn. Him leading and inspiring a stormtrooper rebellion that breaks off from the First Order army would've been awesome for the character. I think that was possible even post TLJ. I actually wish instead of bringing back Palpatine, they would've split the FO in two between Hux and Kylo (with Kylo returning to the light and his troops being led by Finn). That would've brought Finn back into the main character forefront with Kylo and Rey, it would've been nice to see more interaction with Kylo and Finn. And you still could've had FS Finn, too.

I like Poe and I like Oscar, but yeah, I feel like they didn't know how to balance Finn and Poe in the Resistance storyline once Poe gained prominence. And Poe/Finn/Rey were never the trio since Poe was originally meant to die. If anything, the original trio was Rey, Finn and Kylo.

Last edited:
Yeah, Kylo and Rey's dynamic is the most interesting thing in the ST easily. Without it, ouch... partially why I think Colin's script got shafted. Would've just highlighted the weakness of the rest of the ST characters if they removed that element of them being "enemies" on different sides that find comfort and familiarity in each other. I do think JJ & Chris didn't manage to capture it anywhere near as well as Rian, though. "I see through the cracks in your mask!" rofl...

Anyway...regarding Finn. Oof. What a ****ing waste in TROS. For all the crap people give Rian for Finn's sidequest in TLJ, JJ literally had Finn do the same **** in TROS as TLJ. Just shouting "woooo" and "Rey" nonstop.

434mms1w5ga41.jpg

Yeah, Kylo and Rey's dynamic is the most interesting thing in the ST easily. Without it, ouch... partially why I think Colin's script got shafted. Would've just highlighted the weakness of the rest of the ST characters if they removed that element of them being "enemies" on different sides that find comfort and familiarity in each other. I do think JJ & Chris didn't manage to capture it anywhere near as well as Rian, though. "I see through the cracks in your mask!" rofl...

Anyway...regarding Finn. Oof. What a ****ing waste in TROS. For all the crap people give Rian for Finn's sidequest in TLJ, JJ literally had Finn do the same **** in TROS as TLJ. Just shouting "woooo" and "Rey" nonstop.

Plenty of articles point out character building/arcs isn't Abrams strong point. But he HAD a writer on hand with SOME cred, who didn't help either. Not just Finn, but ditching the Hux/Kylo dynamic. I like Poe, nothing wrong with him being a kick-@ss pilot with NO romantic attachments, and no *mysterious* drug runner background either. So much waste, at least some of YT commentaries are entertaining.

Back