1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! Always good to see you back in the game.

Sideshow must have plenty of Vaders then. I wouldn't expect any other retailer to run short on their shipments. :)

:duff

I haven't bought a single HT Vader -- even though the R1 was tempting. I said I'd wait it out for ESB, and in spite of the controversy, had to follow it through.

Based on recent photos and videos I think I'm gonna like it.

I'm gearing up for some stone-cold futzing, though.

I preordered this from Brian’s Toys and they are saying that it wont be in until October. Has anyone else ever ordered from Brian’s Toys? Does their stock come from Sideshow or do they get them direct from Hot Toys? They have free shipping so I figured that I would give them a try. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is my first HT Vader and he certainly has some wow factor, imo. Stoked!

iKU1rMQ.jpg

XyiqlWM.jpg

We've got people here that take much better photos than the HK bloggers because they know how to futz the figure replicate the actual character.

Nice work, MarfMaster.

The underscale size of the base and the tight railing around him makes him look like he's standing on a round version of these:

th41422024138scissor-lift.jpg

Even if they are small, the vertical "cigarettes" part helps with the join-me pose though.

We've got people here that take much better photos than the HK bloggers because they know how to futz the figure replicate the actual character.

Nice work, MarfMaster.

With due respect to the personal opinions of the nay-sayers; with every passing photo my doubts evaporate. Looks Vader-y enough for me.

That being said, I'm as OCD about Stormtrooper helmets as some of you are about Vader, so I guess I understand it even if I don't see it. :lol

I've stayed out of the discussion, didn't want to pass too much judgement on the figure until I've seen it in person. I will have this delivered to me in the morning, very excited! Loving those last pics by marfmaster.

This is my first HT Vader and he certainly has some wow factor, imo. Stoked!

iKU1rMQ.jpg

XyiqlWM.jpg

He does look really good here.

This is another example of why I was saying to not cancel immediately, and wait for more in hand pictures to surface to see what people can do with it first. Many of these in hand pictures after people have futzed with the figure a bit, are blowing the initial blogger pics away. They usually do.

He does look really good here.

This is another example of why I was saying to not cancel immediately, and wait for more in hand pictures to surface to see what people can do with it first. Many of these in hand pictures after people have futzed with the figure a bit, are blowing the initial blogger pics away. They usually do.

Yeah, it really looks pretty good in most of the in-hand pics. As I said at the start, I think this one might be the best "out of the box" Vader so far. It's also not 14" tall (even if some of the "overscale parts put on smaller body" criticisms may be valid.)

The helmet certainly has some issues, but it doesn't have the slight "insect" look the ANH/RO sculpt has, and it also seems slightly smaller - the ANH/Ro helmet was a bit oversized.

With all its flaws, this fig definitely "feels" more ESB Vader than the HT ANH Vader felt like Vader from ANH.

Nice work, MarfMaster.

Agreed. The futzing skills of the folks here go a long way. The MarfMaster photos are proof of that (but it took me a while to even notice Vader because I was too busy being blown away by Luke's lightsaber; Holy **** that looks awesome!).

And I like almost every costume piece on the Vader figure except for the helmet. I'm hoping to see someone eventually pull the tunic back away from the chest box to simulate the look below.

VaderHeadToToe.jpg
(And swap out the helmet.) :monkey3

The underscale size of the base and the tight railing around him makes him look like he's standing on a round version of these:

th41422024138scissor-lift.jpg

Even if they are small, the vertical "cigarettes" part helps with the join-me pose though.

It's unrealistic to expect them to include a correctly scaled gantry like Joost is making though. Personally I like it despite not being correct, it evokes the image of one of the most important scenes in film history without taking up an area the size of a dining table.

It's unrealistic to expect them to include a correctly scaled gantry like Joost is making though. Personally I like it despite not being correct, it evokes the image of one of the most important scenes in film history without taking up an area the size of a dining table.
Agreed. I don't mind the scale inaccuracy on this. It'll fit nicely in a detolf or on a shelf without taking up so much space.

I'm actually considering picking up another at some point to have two separate displays. I'm sure there will be plenty around since theres going to be so many "cancelations" [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh, I love that they did it for that pose. I just question the choice of making it a little circle rather than a "wedge" of the correctly scaled circle (ie maybe a 1/6 wedge/segment of the proper scale circle along with a railing and correctly scaled big cigarette pieces)

It's the issue I have with Joost's carbon freeze set - that he chose to make the circle of his freeze chamber dio half the diameter of the real set in order to make it a complete circle, rather than doing it proper 1/6 scale by making it a one third "wedge" of the set with stairs as backdrop. For me, that carbon dio almost looks like 12" figures standing on a 6" scaled dio.

The Vader stand is really meant to be a kind of blurry reminder of the moment (like the underscaled skiff front with 1/4 Fett or the Sarlacc mouth for 1/6 ROTJ Fett) rather than a scaled replica of the set, but in this case I'd have preferred a segment of the properly scaled set along the lines of what HT did with the Luke Bespin weather vane.

Yes. This.

I get the pursuit of accuracy, especially when you're buying the same figure of the same character for the fiftieth time.

I'm fortunate to just be looking for a good evocation with these things.

Back