1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It almost looks like the chest armor is too wide. Anybody have a comparison with a movie still?

It almost looks like the chest armor is too wide. Anybody have a comparison with a movie still?

Seems about right...

f3ffd8537a4c90c00fa0c87117ebbea5.jpg

Thats because the head won't look any further down. At least thats what I've gathered from previous comments.

Well ROTJ Vader is probably within 12-18 months. Seems a new Vader comes in that time frame. Can anyone stand this one next to ROTJ Luke? I would but mine is boxed up for return because of the mask.

Well ROTJ Vader is probably within 12-18 months. .

Yup, which is why I PO'd the Vader ESB from SSC. That and the virtual devil video plus, will go well with Fett or this...

luke.jpg

I'll get the Return Vader to go w Jedi Luke and Emperor, but I f you have a Besbin Luke, I would think you need to get this.

Last edited:
b35c75c40a0ca1bd445c09d0684c4d55.jpg

And than there is Bob Anderson who did the saber fighting. I always wondered how much of Vader he played. But he clearly wears the suit different than David Prowse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if the ANH V2 boots are the exact same as the RO boots (minus the gloss finish of course)? I'm trying to figure out if the shin guards sit flush against the boots like V1. From what I can tell, they don't.

I don’t. All I have is the v1 ANH Vader.

For every good picture I see a bad one. lol

Same here.

Loving the esb, think it's the best overall Vader after the 1:4 rotj one. It'll look better in hand too.

Wonder how easy it is to remove the electronics to tight up those sleeves?

Worst case you'll need to twist them to get them to look more fitted. I did that to my ANH and it helped.

OMG the ESB helmet looks horrible compared to the ANH/RO here . If there wasn't a deal breaker picture before this is it

View attachment 424247

Yeah, I've criticized this new helmet a lot here, and I've actually held back quite a bit out of respect for people who already paid for this and disagree with my opinion on it. But at some point, if Hot Toys doesn't know how much they got wrong on this one, then there's no hope for an ROTJ release to be any better.

I'm convinced that the ESB Boba Fett helmet got changed because of how vocal and clear the consensus was in the collector community. Folks here actually started e-mailing them photos of what was still wrong with the prototype helmet. And Hot Toys actually acknowledged the complaints and changed it for the better. But this new Vader will probably sell out, and people will keep posting how great it is (either because they already bought it, or just don't want to hold out for a better one to come along). That's not a formula that'll get Hot Toys to try any harder on future Vaders. It's getting frustrating. Unfortunately, the voice on this new Vader is not nearly as unified as it was on the Boba Fett. If it were, I think it would actually improve the chances of getting a better ROTJ Vader.

That's my rant for today. But with respect to the new photo of the RO and ESB figures, I actually prefer the RO chest armor too because that silver middle column widens out under the neck the way ESB movie Vader had it. Also, the black indented areas to the left and right of it start lower down on the armor; closer to movie-accurate. The RO chest armor might be a better ESB armor. I added a shot of ESB movie Vader for comparison.

VaderTopHalfCompare.jpg

I chose this photo of movie Vader because the head is tilted up in a virtually identical way to the ESB figure. But there are so many glaring differences when you look at them side by side (especially with such a perfect match in head tilt/angle). The new HT eyes seem much too narrow, and the corners of them don't extend far enough. The cheeks are also too narrow (especially Vader's right cheek). The mouth is too tall. The nose is too small. The whole mask is too narrow and long-looking (vertically). And the dome extends too far down behind the the neck.

If that RO figure had his head tilted back like the ESB figure, it would be no contest. The RO helmet just has better proportions in key areas. And even that one has a lot of room for improvement. But, for whatever reason, not everyone agrees that the ESB sculpt is worse; the dissent isn't loud enough. So, people like me are going to end up seeing an ROTJ figure release that'll just be more of the same - and we'll be disappointed. :(

Back