1/6 Hot Toys - DX23 - The Mandalorian: Luke Skywalker (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm torn. Luke is my favourite character and I'd like to own every version, but I'm not a huge Mando fan and already own both ROTJ versions. Not sure I need a younger-looking not-so-great deepfake.

(Also Grogu annoys me even more than Baby Groot - yes I'm a grumpy old man!)

Screenshot_20210803-003136_Facebook.jpg

I actually love this figure, but it makes me even more upset that I missed out on the ROTJ version.

I’d like to display it both ways but I don’t think that’s possible. For anyone who strictly wants this look, go for it!

It's a bit like Mando Biker Scout - the armor used on-set was supposed to match ROTJ armor, but wasn't quite accurate. So with Luke the CGI was supposed to match ROTJ Luke but wasn't quite accurate.

So same with other characters like Mando Tuskens, HT goes super-accurate and precisely matches what was onscreen and you end up with an OT character that is gorgeously detailed but oh-so-slightly wonky.

It's interesting HT can get THAT accurate even if it's not exactly the best outcome. :lol
I don’t think that’s exactly correct. There’s no reason Luke should look exactly the same five years later and a change of wardrobe and hairstyle is the least expectation. If anything his outfit would probably have been even more different unless he chose to wear his nostalgic robes (slightly altered and not the original ones worn in ROTJ).

It's a bit like Mando Biker Scout - the armor used on-set was supposed to match ROTJ armor, but wasn't quite accurate. So with Luke the CGI was supposed to match ROTJ Luke but wasn't quite accurate.

So same with other characters like Mando Tuskens, HT goes super-accurate and precisely matches what was onscreen and you end up with an OT character that is gorgeously detailed but oh-so-slightly wonky.

It's interesting HT can get THAT accurate even if it's not exactly the best outcome. :lol
The best example of that is those damn Gamorreans.

I'd rather save the $45 toward the full Dark Trooper. Some might not want to though.

Went for the regular. The mangled Dark Trooper torso would never leave the box...it just looks odd and incomplete.

We all knew this figure was coming....at least it looks like HT put some effort in it.

I don’t think that’s exactly correct. There’s no reason Luke should look exactly the same five years later and a change of wardrobe and hairstyle is the least expectation. If anything his outfit would probably have been even more different unless he chose to wear his nostalgic robes (slightly altered and not the original ones worn in ROTJ).
It's not the hairdo (it's very similar to his SW Holiday Special hairdo so is kinda canon anyway) as much as the CGI-"uncanny valley" look to the Mando Luke, that HT has now somehow managed to perfectly recreate.

So when I said "the CGI was supposed to match ROTJ Luke but wasn't quite accurate" I meant as in realistically recreating Luke's face. Obviously his outfit is probably over 90% accurate to ROTJ, with differences only noticeable to a mega-fan, so that was never the problem.

Luke's hairdo changes a decent amount ANH/ESB/ROTJ, so my guess is that the Mando hairstyle was probably an attempt to make him look subtly different from ROTJ in the same way. It looks clearly too different/off to be accidentally wrong for ROTJ.

Last edited:
A while back I had thought about getting the Crait Luke as an EU Luke, but I think this will basically take the place of that. I'm happy with the headsculpt and outfit since it's not exactly Jedi Luke but a slight variation.

I'm goddamn glad they're not using that RotJ Luke sculpt again after it wound up being used for the Snowspeeder Luke.

A while back I had thought about getting the Crait Luke as an EU Luke, but I think this will basically take the place of that. I'm happy with the headsculpt and outfit since it's not exactly Jedi Luke but a slight variation.

I'm goddamn glad they're not using that RotJ Luke sculpt again after it wound up being used for the Snowspeeder Luke.
I wonder if this close-mouth sculpt could be swapped into the Snowspeeder Luke. Doubtful, but I seem to recall HT has done something similar a few times in their non-SW past.

But yeah, it's nice to have this "beyond ROTJ" Luke be out there as canon now so you don't have to rely on ST Luke for post-OT. Hopefully we see him again in S3 and the CGI is a bit better.

Honestly if I had one complaint about this figure it would be about the Grogu figure, whose hard plastic body doesn’t lend itself well to believable holding poses. Easily the weakest part of an otherwise very photorealistic looking set. View attachment 533329
Agreed - flat bottom Grogu has a bit of a Leon/Professional pot plant look. :lol

With this figure I just hope HT is done with Mando for a while. I know they’ve got some likely POs coming, but after BOBF I really want them to go back to CW. There’s so much untapped potential. It would be a shame for them to not capitalize on some of it.

Back