1/6 Hot Toys - Avengers: Endgame - Captain America (Stealth Suit) Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These companies don't care about the customer experience for the rare one off limited exclusive item sales because they're going to sell the items anyway.

From a business perspective it doesn't make sense to significantly improve the performance of their site to handle one off events. Instead they make sure their sites are optimised for a little more than long-term average traffic volume.

It sucks for the customer, but when a company has a monopoly on the market, where else are you going to go? Unless you start buying Hot Toys directly from Hong Kong sellers, most other countries get their stock via Sideshow, so they get paid either way, even we you stop buying from them directly.

They've got us by the *****.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-060210_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-060210_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 0
Yeah I saw a lot of people try to make these type of arguments on Facebook as well. "You weren't around for the FURBY market clearly man it was BRUTAL!"

Yeah no.
I've Bought plenty of funkos, a couple ps5s, and tons of different "limited" stuff from different places. This was still a **** show.

In any case, bit the bullet, paid a bit of a premium, albeit not that much given this was already $320+tax+ship with no rewards, and picked this up from TBA. Had to have it for the collection.
I'm not saying it wasnt a **** show, I'm just saying it wasn't as bad as some of the other sites.

Fair enough, I guess. Although, I still wouldn't agree with his assessment that those that criticized SS have never experienced the past hardships of broken sites and chase items. I think that's why I interpreted his comment differently. The second sentence seems to imply that anyone blaming SS must not have ever experienced this before with previous products. It's true that the SS experience might not have been the pinnacle or bad experiences, but so what? lol. It's not really a contest and each can be judged by its own merit.
I've had a harder and more stressful time getting a $12 funko pop because people used bots and legit broken systems. They'd make you wait in a virtual line that because people were exploiting it would just get longer and longer and longer. You dont even get a CHANCE because by the time you get into the site everything is gone. Then the items immediately wind up on ebay for $300+

These companies don't care about the customer experience for the rare one off limited exclusive item sales because they're going to sell the items anyway.

From a business perspective it doesn't make sense to significantly improve the performance of their site to handle one off events. Instead they make sure their sites are optimised for a little more than long-term average traffic volume.

Very true. I wouldn't expect a true queueing system or anything of the like from them as they don't really have this problem very often. If the site regularly got slammed like this then it would make more sense.

We do know however that they're capable of generating user specific invite codes. So there could have easily been a lottery for RSVP'd users with time slots to purchase the figure. If that person misses their time slot then the next person is allowed access etc. This is something that's already doable.

I'm not saying it wasnt a **** show, I'm just saying it wasn't as bad as some of the other sites.

I don't know what makes one website breaking beyond belief better than another site breaking beyond belief, but it was pretty horrible. Inability to add to cart, reservation system breaking, checkout not working, charging people without saying it did, pages going down... lots of people didn't get a chance with this either.

This only didn't likely have the bots of other websites because frankly Hot Toys are more niche than any of the other hyped items mentioned previously.

Point being, I don't see any reason sideshow should get a pass on this.

Let's not forget though that HOT TOYS made this an exclusive in the first place despite people asking for a 2.0 for ages and that 300 for North America is an absolute joke.

This thread will be lit once HT reveals its Winter Soldier Cap 2.0... or just releases this "limited release" wide with a new accessory.

I can hear it now: "I went thru hell and back and now its not even limited!!!"

It's almost as if some people haven't been collecting very long.

This thread will be lit once HT reveals its Winter Soldier Cap 2.0... or just releases this "limited release" wide with a new accessory.

I can hear it now: "I went thru hell and back and now its not even limited!!!"

There's definitely people like that, but I think the wider collecting world doesn't care. These aren't numbered editions. Just make the dollies. :lol

There's definitely people like that, but I think the wider collecting world doesn't care. These aren't numbered editions. Just make the dollies. :lol
Agreed. I also think announcing the edition size their allotment (which I don't think HT or SS has ever done before for a HT exclusive) made the situation worse. There are so many HT exclusives that have sat at SS for at least a year if not more, and prior to the edition size allotment announcement, there was no reason to think this would be any different.

As you said, these aren't numbered nor do they come with a CoA like the olden days of HT (Original Batman Begins and Superman Returns figures for example), so what does it matter? Bragging rights and resell value I guess? 🤔

EDIT: with that said, maybe the waiting game will pay off and this will be the D23 Endgame Cap to final release where a couple things are updated if we get an official Winter Soldier branded 2.0 :pray: Longer sleeves, new Steve Rogers sculpt even if it's just the EG sculpt with modified hair sculpt and the proper blue shield.

Last edited:
Agreed. I also think announcing the edition size, which I don't think HT or SS has ever done before for a HT exclusive, made the situation worse. There are so many HT exclusives that have sat at SS for at least a year if not more, and prior to the edition size announcement, there was no reason to think this would be no different.

As you said, these aren't number nor do they come with a CoA like the olden days of HT (Original Batman Begins and Superman Returns figures for example), so what does it matter? Bragging rights and resell value I guess? 🤔

What's even dumber is 300 ain't even the edition size. It's just the number that sideshow had available. They made a bunch for the store opening overseas so really it's like any other hot toys where we don't really have an exact idea of how many they've made.

Agreed though, I don't give a **** about reissues.

I've always been of the mind that if they want to try and find a middle ground then do like how they did with the Mk46 reissue. Don't include an accessory/headsculpt or something and that way the people that have the figure already still feel they have something unique and others can still get another chance at it.

I will say that the 30% discount code was a decent consulation prize. I definitely would have liked to have gotten the Cap figure, though.

I'm still curious if it wasn't a planned email anyways. It hardly seemed like an apology and it went to everyone on the RSVP not just people that didn't order a Cap.

30% is probably the largest discount I've seen in a while though.

I'm still curious if it wasn't a planned email anyways. It hardly seemed like an apology and it went to everyone on the RSVP not just people that didn't order a Cap.

30% is probably the largest discount I've seen in a while though.

Good point. If not mistaken, it was heavily hinted during the YouTube Spooktacular videos that something else was involved with signing up for the RSVP.

Back