1/6 Hot Toy - MMS612 - Episode VI - ROTJ: Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the new one coming and the other one sitting in stock probably gives good reason to try and move units on the ROTJ version. Kinda like they did with the Mando version.
I don't think any OT trooper is going to go the way of the ST troopers (ie dropping to $120 and even below, somewhat widely), but you could argue that of all the OT troopers, the scout is the least appealing for the casual fan, vs snowie, sandie, stormie.

But yeah now thru early next year there could be some nice sales if there really is a deep stock across the board so good time to watch.

The mando one seemed to suffer from it clearly not being the iconic look for scouts, (somewhat cool but also somewhat odd having a red-dust scout )and then HT previewed the clean ROTJ version not long afterward plus the bike, and pretty much anyone prefers the ROTJ over the mando and they're too expensive as a bike set to have both.

I expected HT to do a TIE fighter pilot by this point. Have been tempted to pick one of SS's up recently but those seem to go for a prett penny too now.
Those TIEs have gone so stupid on price. I wanted to get a second one but they are soo crazy high 100% of the time. Hope HT does one, but they have really struggled with OT helmet sculpts.

And HT's black gunner jumpsuit was pretty weak, and I hate both their gloved hand sculpts and their boot sculpts (gunner had terrible boots and hands, same with DST proto) so tbh the SSC TIE will likely be better unless its a rare snowie-style HT miracle.

I contemplated getting the SSC RO TIE pilot but it's just too different from the OT look - the jumpsuit is shiny sail fabric and the chestbox is somewhat different. The regular SSC OT TIE jumpsuit is superb.

I expected HT to do a TIE fighter pilot by this point. Have been tempted to pick one of SS's up recently but those seem to go for a prett penny too now.
It does seem like a very strange omission.

It's one of the troopers I've always wanted.

I wonder if the sales on the FO pilot were so bad they just assumed people didn't like the look.

It does seem like a very strange omission.

It's one of the troopers I've always wanted.

I wonder if the sales on the FO pilot were so bad they just assumed people didn't like the look.
The FO pilot might as well be a Scooby Doo character in comparison to the OT TIE pilot in the way I think about it. :lol

Hopefully HT don't judge the sales of those ST pegwarmers (which takes in nearly every single ST trooper) and uses that to judge how a HT OT TIE pilot would sell because that's just insane.

Saw someone on Facebook did the helmet "fix" but didn't seem to realize that fixing that problem creates a new one.

The core issue is that HT sculpted the visor slightly ajar/open, but also at the same time made the top line of the helmet visor level/flat. So when you separate the visor and re-glue it without the gap, the top line of the whole visor runs downhill, which is as incorrect as the gap is.

If it was sculpted correctly, the top of slightly ajar visor should have run uphill a bit, not been level.

biker.png

I'll take that fix, it's still flawed but so, so much better... Are there details anywhere of how he/she did it?

That original visor gap drives me totally nuts, mainly because of the utter laziness of it!!

I'll take that fix, it's still flawed but so, so much better... Are there details anywhere of how he/she did it?

That original visor gap drives me totally nuts, mainly because of the utter laziness of it!!
It's pretty simple - rock the visor until the glue breaks, dremel off the overlap area where the gap is ,and re-glue it.

To me it depends on how you're going to pose the figure, mostly because if the figure is facing forwards then the fixed helmet (with its downward-tilted visor and "forehead"above looking taller) might look a bit more funky than the unfixed helmet (where the unsightly gap is at least pretty much hidden from the front.) If you're displaying on a more side view - like on the bike - then maybe the fix is the way to go.

There is the laziness of just reusing the Mando sculpt (based on a cosplayer helmet as it is) but the reality is, even the original sculpt is wrong because if that gap is present, then the visor should have been sculpted tilted upwards slightly (the gap means the visor has been flipped up maybe 10%) instead of flat across as they made it.

So its kind of logical/design incompetence, followed by laziness. :lol

It's pretty simple - rock the visor until the glue breaks, dremel off the overlap area where the gap is ,and re-glue it.

To me it depends on how you're going to pose the figure, mostly because if the figure is facing forwards then the fixed helmet (with its downward-tilted visor and "forehead"above looking taller) might look a bit more funky than the unfixed helmet (where the unsightly gap is at least pretty much hidden from the front.) If you're displaying on a more side view - like on the bike - then maybe the fix is the way to go.

There is the laziness of just reusing the Mando sculpt (based on a cosplayer helmet as it is) but the reality is, even the original sculpt is wrong because if that gap is present, then the visor should have been sculpted tilted upwards slightly (the gap means the visor has been flipped up maybe 10%) instead of flat across as they made it.

So its kind of logical/design incompetence, followed by laziness. :lol
The Mandalorian Scouts were in fact using EFX Limited Edition Scout helmets

The Mandalorian Scouts were in fact using EFX Limited Edition Scout helmets
Yup, cosplayer. And yellowy-white, gappy-ass visor, wonky seamed, super-flare jawline cosplayer at that.

Maybe for S4 they'll use a (not bad for $150...) Hasbro BS Scout helmet.:dunno:lol No LFL buck, no problem!

Yup, cosplayer. And yellowy-white, gappy-ass visor, wonky seamed, super-flare jawline cosplayer at that.

Maybe for S4 they'll use a (not bad for $150...) Hasbro BS Scout helmet.:dunno:lol No LFL buck, no problem!
Nope, not cosplayer. It's not a fan made helmet, it still has its ILM origin, though somewhat distorted. Check out RPF discussions and the 501st groups.

Nope, not cosplayer. It's not a fan made helmet, it still has its ILM origin, though somewhat distorted. Check out RPF discussions and the 501st groups.
Most cosplayer helmets aren't fan made, some have some connection to original molds, and if that EFX LE does indeed have connection to archives bucks as sold then it was a travesty. And... then it was used in Mando. :lol

And yes, I already sucked in my cheeks (just like the EFX LE does! haha) and listed some of that particular helmet's limitations. Had Mando used the RS or LW we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Most cosplayer helmets aren't fan made, some have some connection to original molds, and if that EFX LE does indeed have connection to archives bucks as sold then it was a travesty. And... then it was used in Mando. :lol

And yes, I already sucked in my cheeks (just like the EFX LE does! haha) and listed some of that particular helmet's limitations. Had Mando used the RS or LW we wouldn't be having this conversation.
In fact fan made kind of means unlicensed, what RS and LW and others are (despite RS being made from production made helmet, thus the most accurate), except for Anovos/Denuo Novo, EFX and Hasbro. So there is a contradiction in your terms. I agree regarding accuracy though, and I own(ed) RS, LW, EFX, Kropserkel Scout helmets. When talking about helmets, I know a couple things ;)

My comparison below:

Comparison EFX LW, RS Scout Trooper Helmet 00.JPG

Also mentioned here: EFX Limited Scout Trooper Helmet RS Prop Masters Lone Wolf

Last edited:
There's so many grey areas - I knew two different people in the 1990s who had stormtrooper helmets (done completely separately) that were made with molds taken from a screen-used ROTJ helmet (I know one was screen used because I held onto a $20k helmet for my buddy for a week and matched it myself), which was not exactly rare in that era.

So "fan-made," but taken from an original (yes distorted ROTJ) helmet.

Then there's a manufacturer like Shepperton - hard to say what exactly that is, being the original contracted manufacturer of the screen used helmets (yes I get the debates) but sued by LFL, yet winning. "Licensed" in 1976, "unlicensed" decades later. :lol

That RS is gorgeous. Funny that Hasbro seems to be inching closer and closer to the high-end helmet market with each BS release. Would never have believed that. You have to wonder how good a Hasbro ATAT helmet will be when they get to it, hopefully ditching those silly exterior battery compartments and minimizing the mold seams.

Back