1/6 Hot Toy - MMS612 - Episode VI - ROTJ: Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the same boat of "they're not going to be soliciting a ROtJ any time soon, might as well buy this one."
But now that the prospect is in front of me, I love the mando scout's weathering and the look of the gray bike and I think they're different enough to warrant a place. And as others have said, it will be a long time before it ships, so i can start saving up til then. There. That's the end of discussion, self.

While searching for SW screen reference, I came across a closed auction for one of the... Original screen-used stop-motion ball and socket articulated Scout Trooper armature from Star Wars.

This is so amazing to see the structure of the internal 1/4 scale armature. Full description below. Check it out... 😎👍

IMG_7907.jpg

IMG_7908.jpg

IMG_7909.jpg

IMG_7910.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

Description:

Original screen-used stop-motion ball and socket articulated “Scout Trooper” armature from Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi. (TCF, 1984) This ball and socket armature was built at Industrial Light & Magic and stands approximately 18 in. tall (1:4 scale to a 6-foot tall human). The head, chest, pelvis and knees are machined out of 2024 aluminum; all of the ball and socket joints used to articulate the puppet are machined from tool steel and chrome plated. These include the neck, shoulders, arms, torso, legs and feet; all the joints have Allen set screws to allow for adjusting and posing. This armature was screen-used on the Forest Moon of Endor sequence and was inside the “Scout Trooper” puppet during the Imperial Speeder Bike chase with rod-puppeted by Tom St. Amand, among others. The unique identifying factor differentiating this armature from those used for “Luke” and “Leia” is the added hand-shaped aluminum face-plate that was screwed on to accommodate the shape of the “Scout Trooper” helmet. Also, this puppet is larger than those of “Luke and Leia”. An added bonus is the fact that this puppet was screen-used only one other time: it was originally built and animated by Tom St. Amand for E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial(1982) in the iconic bicycle flying sequences. This puppet was used only for the tallest boy (“Michael”), who was Elliot’s older brother. In excellent condition and is a one-of-a-kind. Comes with a signed letter of authenticity by Tom St. Amand who fabricated and animated this armature in both Return of the Jedi and E.T. A fantastic relic, providing a fascinating behind-the-scenes peek at the magic of movie making. Special shipping arrangements will apply.

Link to original page:
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...-stop-motion-ball-and-socket-656-c-def19940f2

Last edited:
I'm 100% getting this, my all time favourite trooper, from one of my favourite Star Wars scenes, the speeder bike chase. I ordered the Mando Scout because it got good reviews and the final release looked good. I figured we wouldn't get the ROTJ version for a long long time so might as well get the Scout trooper that was available.
Now here we are, I haven't even got my mando Scout yet and they're showing a ROTJ version.
I much prefer the ROTJ version but I love Scout troopers enough to have both versions in the collection.

I'm 100% getting this, my all time favourite trooper, from one of my favourite Star Wars scenes, the speeder bike chase. I ordered the Mando Scout because it got good reviews and the final release looked good. I figured we wouldn't get the ROTJ version for a long long time so might as well get the Scout trooper that was available.
Now here we are, I haven't even got my mando Scout yet and they're showing a ROTJ version.
I much prefer the ROTJ version but I love Scout troopers enough to have both versions in the collection.
Yeah, but when will he go up for preorder? Then add what seems like 18 months from that announcement. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy your Mando Scout.

While searching for SW screen reference, I came across a closed auction for one of the... "Original screen-used stop-motion ball and socket articulated "Scout Trooper" armature from Star Wars."

This is so amazing to see the structure of the internal 1/4 scale armature. Full description below. Check it out... 😎👍

Nice find! I see that my posture sitting at my work desk mimics an Imperial Scout on his bike. :yess:
A41748D8-C45E-4F21-B54F-E41C62306A3C.png

It's great to see this because I really wanted a ROTJ scout and bike to go with my custom Leia on bike, but I'm very bummed that they did Mando version first.

Some of the detailing on this ROTJ version is actually unchanged from the Mando version, so not 100% accurate to ROTJ. Yeah they're nit-picky things mostly but some are pretty noticeable if you know the bike at all.

I wish they'd done it the other way around: a ROTJ sculpt then make a few Mando tweaks and add white paint. Because the Mando bike isn't iconic, whereas the ROTJ version is.

Ditto for the scout. Yes, they made changes like on the bike (more in fact) but a few of the parts are still just the Mando scout painted different, whereas I would have loved to have seen the iconic ROTJ-accurate sculpt done first and just finished different for Mando.

Last edited:
It's great to see this because I really wanted a ROTJ scout and bike to go with my custom Leia on bike, but I'm very bummed that they did Mando version first.

Some of the detailing on this ROTJ version is actually unchanged from the Mando version, so not 100% accurate to ROTJ. Yeah they're nit-picky things mostly but some are pretty noticeable if you know the bike at all.

I wish they'd done it the other way around: a ROTJ sculpt then make a few Mando tweaks and add white paint. Because the Mando bike isn't iconic, whereas the ROTJ version is.

Ditto for the scout. Yes, they made changes like on the bike (more in fact) but a few of the parts are still just the Mando scout painted different, whereas I would have loved to have seen the iconic ROTJ-accurate sculpt done first and just finished different for Mando.
HT wants those NRDs.

I got the later screen grab on my third run through of that section.

I get so fed up of Sideshow's constant hard sell shopping channel approach to everything. :lol

Are you saying you don't want them to talk about those overpriced pedestals every 2 minutes?

I got the later screen grab on my third run through of that section.

I get so fed up of Sideshow's constant hard sell shopping channel approach to everything. :lol
Many don't seem to mind for some reason. I guess some just want to be part of something and then anything for the $3 rewards. The forced banter is horrible too.
Are you saying you don't want them to talk about those overpriced pedestals every 2 minutes?
Like the smallest size was $330-ish. I think I'd rather have a $60 detolf when in stock.

Back