1/6 Hot Toy - MMS612 - Episode VI - ROTJ: Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some digging and found these two pics from some years ago. Apologies to the owner, as I don't know who took them. The difference is quite noticeable. Seems that while SS's is too small, Hasbro's may be too big?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439921997.498542.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439922021.709688.jpg

Did some digging and found these two pics from some years ago. Apologies to the owner, as I don't know who took them. The difference is quite noticeable. Seems that while SS's is too small, Hasbro's may be too big?

View attachment 535887
View attachment 535888

I think your assessment is correct. The Sideshow should be bigger and the Hasbro a bit smaller. The HT is definitely smaller than the Sideshow. The details of the Hasbro aren't as sharp but it's a nice enough inexpensive stand in. Could probably improve it a good bit with a little work too. So ultimately there are advantages and disadvantages to all three.

I think your assessment is correct. The Sideshow should be bigger and the Hasbro a bit smaller. The HT is definitely smaller than the Sideshow. The details of the Hasbro aren't as sharp but it's a nice enough inexpensive stand in. Could probably improve it a good bit with a little work too. So ultimately there are advantages and disadvantages to all three.
If the HT is even smaller than SS's, that is definitely going look strange.

Well, the speeder in 1/6th should be 22 inches long. So Hasbro might be correct -- its just overstuffed and toyish looking.

The Hasbro version is definitely beefier but having it in-hand and seeing the SS in person, I just can't justify the significant price difference, especially when including HT's into the mix. None are perfect but the differences are certainly not worth a couple of hundred bucks, to me. Plus, as TurdFurgusonsHat mentioned, just a little work on the Hasbro one and it really shines.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Displayed as a background vehicle, I think you make a valid point considering the $275 price tag on the ROTJ Speeder.

Vehicles usually end up in the closet for me -- Maul's speeder.

There was always just one vehicle that I ever planned to have on display because it is inseparable from its rider to me -- and that is the ROTJ speeder. I never really cared for the Scout Trooper look, but on the bike its great. So I really want the full Trooper on Bike. And honestly, having just viewed multiple videos and photos of the Hasbro vs the Sideshow (rickety thing falls apart in Justin's video) vs the Mando speeder... I just resold myself on the HT ROTJ Speeder.

Fortunately I have $192 in points to bring that $275 Speeder down to a manageable $83.

I suspect I don't really need this, but feel if anything I should snag it and just decide later on keeping it, no big deal. I have $100 worth of points that will need to be burned on something, may as well be on something overpriced. :unsure:

That's what the points are for.

At the end of the day, this ROTJ Speeder will be one of the more eye-catching pieces on display... so maybe its worth it.

On top of the detolf, angled sideways as if making a swift turn... you can just hear that echo pop through the forest trees!

You gotta do what you gotta do. Displayed as a background vehicle, I think you make a valid point considering the $275 price tag on the ROTJ Speeder.

There was always just one vehicle that I ever planned to have on display because it is inseparable from its rider to me -- and that is the ROTJ speeder. I never really cared for the Scout Trooper look, but on the bike its great. So I really want the full Trooper on Bike. And honestly, having just viewed multiple videos and photos of the Hasbro vs the Sideshow (rickety thing falls apart in Justin's video) vs the Mando speeder... I just resold myself on the HT ROTJ Speeder.

Fortunately I have $192 in points to bring that $275 Speeder down to a manageable $83.

Definitely a background vehicle for me, as it is currently sitting on top of a detolf and from normal viewing distance, it does look pretty good. I do need to work on the weathering and possible detailing further.

I can't believe that you've got the Maul Speeder in the closet! I passed on the HT Maul but ended up picking up a loose speeder with the base. I really love the vehicles in Star Wars.

With $192 points available, then I'm with you. No brainer in picking up the set. :exactly:

I know, shame on me on Maul speeder... but I just don't have the room. As it is, this Speeder (and the inevitable Vulture) will be kicking my inferior Jabba off the tops of my detolfs.

I suspect I don't really need this, but feel if anything I should snag it and just decide later on keeping it, no big deal. I have $100 worth of points that will need to be burned on something, may as well be on something overpriced. :unsure:
I’m right there with ya. I’ve got $111 in rewards, & as I skipped on SS version, I’m burning ‘em all on this set.
I do have the Hasbro one as well. Two, in fact, one is still the box never opened. Along with the Sandtrooper & Dewback, never opened. They’ve been packed up in boxes for decades, only just found them again when I moved.

Is there a sideshow speeder vs mandalorian speeder video? That would be a great help. Also , this thread is a giant that’s what she said meme waiting to happen with bigger and smaller and inches and
That’s what she said

Is there a sideshow speeder vs mandalorian speeder video? That would be a great help. Also , this thread is a giant that’s what she said meme waiting to happen with bigger and smaller and inches and
That’s what she said
I thought I saw a comparison on Justin's channel a while back. HT comes off as superior.

I may have posted these a while back, but with the recent Hasbro discussion, here's some pics of my mod. It's still not 100% perfect, but it does the job. I may eventually 3D print one if a good file gets made (or I try modelling one up myself).

Attachments

• sb1.jpg
    sb1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 67
  • sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 67
  • sb3.jpg
    sb3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 63
  • sb4.jpg
    sb4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 61
  • sb5.jpg
    sb5.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 63
  • sb6.jpg
    sb6.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 57
Really excited, I was so hoping for this.:yess: Will be getting a Biker, and a Biker+bike. I'm so impressed they went in and resculpted some of the Mando stuff into ROTJ style - even the belt buckle?!:horror:clap

They didn't do all though. Both of the arm armor pieces are still Mando style, so not 100% accurate to ROTJ, - the upper one more noticeably so. There are some omissions on the outfit too - there is supposed to be a large black flap that completely covers the butt that's missing, and the belt webbing is supposed to have two side-release buckles front and back, this figure only has them on the front. But these are obviously nitpicks.

The helmet sculpt is super impressive, so happy it's closer than the many HT trooper misses. Fortunately this fell into the Snowie end of accuracy, not the ANH stormie. There really hasn't been a 100% accurate sculpt of this helmet in any scale imo. This one has only very minor issues - the mouth greeblies are way too simplified (not sure what their reference was - it was wrong even for Mando) and the mouth is sunken in twice as deep as it should be, and is not quite long/tall enough, but it's 10% or less. The SSC mouth was, ironically, too long.

Not sure what happened to the thick black line that's supposed to run all the way around the mouth - its totally missing on both the HT Mando and ROTJ mouthes. I think HT mistook it for shadow (it happens - HT misinterpreted Tarkin's belt holes for metal rivets.) I'll be painting that in on mine for sure - looks a little odd without. The visor's too shallow (probably due to the Mando/EFX issue - that helmet has a huge visor gap) but there's variation in Biker Scouts anyway - visor cut, eye lens size (some are noticeably bigger than others), etc.

The EFX error that Mando canonized (where flip-up front doesn't close fully, leaving gap) that HT sculpted into both their Mando and ROTJ helmets I don't mind as the hero scout that fights Leia + Wicket does have it kinda like that, and the chunky/big backpack vents HT went with on this figure matches that particular Scout (others have the thinner/smaller vent style.)

I am very sad that they made the Mando bike first though.:monkey2 This HT ROTJ bike could have been "the" 1/6 speeder bike, but they only fixed a few of the more glaring Mando vs ROTJ inaccuracies (such as dashboard) and just left the rest. The travesty is that the handlebars were the most glaring problem with the Sideshow, and the HT one also has pretty visually obvious issues with the handlebars. There are a lot of minor inaccuracies but I need a high-end 1/6 bike+scout to go with my Leia+bike so I am in regardless.

What I find funny on every single speeder bike toy/collectible is they make the seat black - it's supposed to be brown. :dunno

The Hasbro, with some work, can be a decent backdrop. This is a heavily modded Sideshow next to heavily modded Hasbro. The girth is the main problem on the Hasbro, so from the side the oversize is not hugely noticeable. The Hasbro is a bit too wide to allow a higher-end 1/6 figure to sit on it easily.

96cvW3g.jpg

Last edited:
The helmet sculpt is super impressive, so happy it's closer than the many HT trooper misses. Fortunately this fell into the Snowie end of accuracy, not the ANH stormie.
This. I'm impressed with how 'right' it looks, inaccuracies notwithstanding. It's what pushed me over the edge, at the end of the day.

After the whole blurrg being packed with both mandalorian and Kuiil, I wonder if we get an endor Luke or leia with speeder?

In terms of the price it's probably worth remembering that this set is only $15 more than the Sideshow was when it came out 7 years ago.

I'm a bit torn on getting the HT bike, the SS feels a bit more like a prop, with the fine, more accurate-seeming details around the fins in the front, but those are also frustrating and can fall apart at times. I like the easy functionality of the HT bike and of course the superior handle bars.

Back