1/6 DID D80169 MG42 Gunner Otto - 15. Aufklärungskompanie / SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25 der 12. SS-Panzer-Division “Hitlerjugend”

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score

Qu Rachel

Admin
54 m

DID.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of colourised photos from the same set:

H0171-L291362467_original.JPG
Stabswache de Euros Otto Funk 12 Hitlerjugend.jpg

This one is Otto Funk:

The 18-years old Sturmmann Otto Funk (06.06.1926) from 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend, specifically SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 25. He was 18 when he destroyed a Churchill tank with a MG 42 machine gun. He was awarded the Iron Cross class 2 for that. Here in the photo in Rots, Normandy, 9th June, 1944. He was wounded on June 26, 1944, but continued fighting till May 8, 1945, when He surrendered to American soldiers of the 65th Infantry Division in Enns, Austria. He died on 11th of September 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/frontsoldaten

Interesting how the camo can change in those two colorized renditions.

Very interesting story on Otto Funk, too.

Looks like whoever coloured the first one did it subtly to leave it with a more aged appearance.

The second one increased the green.

DID did this camo on the Hiterjugend Jager Panzer wrap:

53116179321_45caa88149_o.jpg

I never intended to collect Waffen-SS, but one thing leads to another. The two would complement each other, and at the moment this version of Jager is all alone.

Exciting, always loved the old DML version of this figure, didn't know he had such an interesting story too, very cool.

Exciting, always loved the old DML version of this figure, didn't know he had such an interesting story too, very cool.

This one probably isn't Otto Funk, but the machine gunner from the same series of photos, who's been named as Klaus Schuh.

https://stoessisheroes.com/the-story-of-otto-funk-and-klaus-schuh/
Otto Funk and Klaus Schuh were working together as a machine gun crew on the Western Front with the special SS unit, SS-Panzer-Division “Hitlerjugend” in the summer of 1944. Both were given the Iron Cross for knocking out a Canadian Churchill tank with just an MG-42 machine gun. With no other weapon at their disposal, they aimed tracer rounds at a fuel tank on the Churchill and took out the enemy tank.

While Otto survived the war and passed away in 2011, Klaus was killed in action in June 1944.

https://www.argunners.com/normandy-then-now-otto-funk-and-his-unit/

Knowing DID, Funk will be on the way to complete the team.

That last link identifies some of the soldiers in the photos.

Klaus Schuh is standing next to Otto Funk, but the one DID have modelled their figure on is identified as SS-Obergrenadier Günther Hamel in the second photo:

SS-Sturmmann Otto Funk of the 15. (Aufklärungs ) Kompanie/ SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25, photographed after an assault, near Rots. They were to follow up on the attack at Norrey-en-Bessin on June 9, 1944. Also seen in the middle is SS-Grenadier Klaus Schuh, who would be killed on June 26, 1944.

SS-Sturmmann-Otto-Funk.jpg

SS-Obergrenadier Günther Hamel and SS-Unterscharführer Paul Koslowski, both belonging to SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 25 of the 12. SS-Panzerdivision ‘Hitlerjugend’, in Rots, northwest of Caen, Normandy. June 9, 1944, after fierce fighting in Norrey-en-Bessin.

Rots-81.jpg

Searching Hamel brought up the following page:

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/279501/index.htm
For those interested, here is the order of battle of the regiment as well as the the available roster of names of 15/25 below that. This info was found in the diary and somethat I found on in post on axishistory of the subject.

REGIMENT

SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 25: Standartenführer Kurt Meyer (until June 14th, 1944), replaced by Obersturmbannführer Karl-Heinz Milius

1st Battalion
1/SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 25: Sturmbannführer Hans Waldmüller (killed on September 8th, 1944)
– 1. Kompanie
– 2. Kompanie
– 3. Kompanie
– schw. 4. Kompanie

2nd Battalion
2/SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 25: Sturmbannführer Hans Scappini (killed on June 7th, 1944)
– 5. Kompanie
– 6. Kompanie
– 7. Kompanie
– schw. 8. Kompanie

3rd Battalion
3/SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 25: Obersturmbannführer Karl-Heinz Milius (until June 14th, 1944) replaced by Obersturmbannführer Fritz Steiger
– 9. Kompanie
– 10. Kompanie
– 11. Kompanie
– schw. 12. Kompanie

Organic Elements of the Regiment.

Panzerabwehrkanone: Erwin Kaminski

14. Flak-Kompanie: Hauptsturmführer Brantl

15. Aufklärungs-Kompanie: Horst von Büttner (killed during the night from the 8th to the 9th of June 1944)

16. Pionier-Kompanie: Emil Werner

ROSTER OF 15th Aufklärungs-Kompanie (Reconnaissance Company)

*The roster is very much incomplete since my project focuses on the 3rd platoon, that's what I found the most on.*

STAB (Staff or Company HQ)

Chef: Haupsturmführer Horst von Büttner
Spiess: Stabsscharführer Hagetorn
San.-Uscha.: Unterscharführer Emil Waldvogel

I.ZUG (1st platoon)

Untersturmführer Reinhold Fuss
Unterscharführer Flixeder
Grenadier Werner Zimmermann
Hans Derkogner
Wittich
Ziermann

II.ZUG (2nd Platoon)

Untersturmführer Fehling
Sturmmann Jan Jesionek
van der Berg

III.ZUG (3rd PLatoon)

Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk
Unterscharführer Christian Wachter
Unterscharführer Wick
Unterscharführer Peter Koslowski
Sturmmann Klaus Schuh
Obergrenadier Karl-Heinz Marckert
Obergrenadier Guenther Streelow
Obergrenadier Georg Hermann
Grenadier Josef Bund
Grenadier Foerster
Grenadier Otto Funk
Grenadier Günther Hamel

Grenadier Ernst Molter
Grenadier Reinhard Strintz
Grenadier Günther Weiss
Heinz Gurk
Günther Lachmann
Konrad Langner
Werner Kaergel

UNKNOWN UNIT

Sturmmann Jochen Leykauff
Obergrenadier Karl Witzgall
Grenadier Alfred Helzel
Kaufmann
Wolter

FROM THE VERMISSTBILDLISTE

Sturmmann Rudolf Johanning
Sturmmann Heinz Merschkötter
Obergrenadier Albert Pahl
Obergrenadier Manfred Sass
Grenadier Heinz Schulze

UNKNOWN, NEED CONFIRMATION

The first group is listed as killed in action on 4.7.1944 near St.German; the second group is listed as killed on 8.6.1944 in/near Bretteville-L'Orgueillose.

Unterscharführer Richard Schwarz
Sturmmann Hermann Menkhoff
Sturmmann Josef Hermann Richenzhagen
Sturmmann Hilmar Zimmermann
Grenadier Karl Heilemann

Rottenführer Theodor Emge
Sturmmann Gebhard Ziegler
Grenadier Werner Lichtenstein
Grenadier Friedrich Pelzl

DESERTER

Friedrich Torbanisch (deserted on April 1944)

D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-1.jpg

D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-3.jpg

D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-6.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-10.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-15.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-20.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-24.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-28.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-31.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-32.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-34.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-36.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-38.jpg
D80169-WWII-German-12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-39.jpg

Brief Introduction​

June 1944, at the beaches of Normandy. As the Allies unleashed Operation Overlord, their massive invasion to retake Western Europe, the forces of the 12th SS Panzer Division were among those tasked with repelling this colossal assault.

Amidst the sand dunes and scattered French villages, the young MG42 gunner found himself entrenched, awaiting the oncoming storm. The “Hitler’s Buzzsaw,” as the MG42 was grimly nicknamed due to its fearsome rapid rate of fire, was his weapon of choice, and he was a master at wielding it.

As waves of Allied troops stormed the beaches and parachuted into the hinterlands, the gunner’s position became crucial. Nestled in a well-fortified spot overlooking a key route inland, he represented a significant challenge to the advancing forces. Every time the Allies attempted to advance, the unmistakable and terrifying rattle of the MG42 cut them down, earning him both respect and notoriety.

DID depicts that fateful summer in Normandy with this incredible lifelike 1/6 WWII German 12th SS Panzer Division MG42 gunner, the young man Otto. The authentic headsculpt portrays a blend of youthful innocence and solemnity, with eyes filled with determination.

He wears the typical M43 uniform and trousers. On top is a distinctive Panzer Combi in Italian Camo. He can be adorned with a side cap or a helmet. And around his neck, he wears a grey toque. Real leather Y-straps and belt are hung on his back and waist, and a pair of brown ankle boots are on his feet.

The remarkable MG42 machine gun never left his hand. It is entirely made of metal and meticulously recreated with high details. In addition, he carries a P08 pistol and is equipped with a compact, sharp HJ knife with significant lethality.

For accessories, he comes with a canteen, a mess tin, a shovel, gas mask canister, and gas mask pouch. Additionally, there’s a bread bag and a tool pouch. He’s also equipped with a variety of beautifully crafted metal medals, making the accessory set quite extensive.

Dive deep into the history with this classic MG42 gunner. It is a must-have for those passionate about WWII German forces. Do NOT miss out on him.

Full Part List​

Base
1 Headsculpt
2 Body
3 Left Palm X 3 + Right Palm X 3

Outfits
4 Helmet with inner liner and camouflage cover
5 WWII German M40 side cap
6 WWII German M43 uniform
7 Trousers
8 WWII German Panzer Combi Overalls in Italian Camo
9 German toque
10 Belt (genuine leather)
11 Y-straps (genuine leather)
12 WWII German field canvas gaiters
13 Boots (genuine leather)

Accessories:
14 WWII German canteen (Plastic)
15 WWII German mess tin (Plastic)
16 WWII German gas mask canister (Plastic)
17 WWII German shovel (Wood and Plastic)
18 Bread bag
19 WWII German gas mask pouch
20 MG42 tool pouch (genuine leather and canvas)
21 Cigarette

Weapon
22 P08 pistol with holster (genuine leather)
23 “MG42 machine gun (metal) with drum magazine, bullet chain and bullet X 7”
24 HJ Knife (metal) with Scabbard (metal and genuine leather)

Insignia:
25 Cuff title
26 Collar tab x 1 pair
27 Shoulder board x 1 pair
28 Sleeve rank chevron
29 Breast Eagle x 2
30 Black wound badge x 1
31 HJ proficiency badge x 1
32 Iron Cross 2nd class x 1

Last edited:
While DID's teaser photo depicted SS-Obergrenadier Günther Hamel, the figure has the collar rank of SS-Sturmmann and is named Otto, and does look to be modelled on the eighteen year old SS-Sturmmann Otto Funk:

466441-H0171-L291362467-original.JPG

D80169 12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-00.jpg
D80169 12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-0.jpg

While DID's teaser photo depicted SS-Obergrenadier Günther Hamel, the figure has the collar rank of SS-Sturmmann and is named Otto, and does look to be modelled on the eighteen year old SS-Sturmmann Otto Funk:

466441-H0171-L291362467-original.JPG

View attachment 661162View attachment 661163
He came out looking really good it's such a cool look with the uniform and the brown boots.

So Hamel had the MG42? or did they put the wrong insignia on the figure? I'm confused about who is who they look so similar,

We're also missing the extra ammo though I think they cost saved and only gave you the one inside the drum.

I wonder if Otto ever found out that he was being immortalized as an action figure.
It's possible, Dragon made him in 2002 but with a different name, he was still alive when it was released.

C_6.jpeg

He came out looking really good it's such a cool look with the uniform and the brown boots.

So Hamel had the MG42? or did they put the wrong insignia on the figure? I'm confused about who is who they look so similar,

Otto worked together with Klaus Schuh as a machine gun crew. According to the caption Klaus is next to Otto here:

469315-SS-Sturmmann-Otto-Funk.jpg

The one stood further back with the MG42 is the soldier DID used in their tease, who is said to be SS-Obergrenadier Günther Hamel:

466440-DID.jpg

We're also missing the extra ammo though I think they cost saved and only gave you the one inside the drum.

Some on BBICN were expecting that to be part of a presumed upcoming accessory set.

It is getting confusing, because this page identifies the one captioned Hamel (next to Koslowski) as being Schuh:

https://www.dday-overlord.com/mediatheque/photos/calvados/2/rots
Klaus.jpg

SS-Obergrenadier Günther Hamel and SS-Unterscharführer Paul Koslowski, both belonging to SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 25 of the 12. SS-Panzerdivision ‘Hitlerjugend’, in Rots, northwest of Caen, Normandy. June 9, 1944, after fierce fighting in Norrey-en-Bessin.

469316-Rots-81.jpg

The new page does have another angle of Otto though:

Otto.jpg

Yeah, I didn't even realize at first that there were three people They look extremely similar, can't tell what other weapons/equipment the other two have.

From the new angle you can see Otto's holding an ammo box. I thought it was hooked on the end of the bar over this shoulder, but in the earlier photo it's a square plate.

Looks like he's also got a spare MG42 barrel in a tube hanging by its strap.

Maybe DID will release Klaus Schuh as an assistant gunner, then the parts can be swapped between them.

It's possible, Dragon made him in 2002 but with a different name, he was still alive when it was released.

View attachment 661225
Yeah, I had "Marcus", along with a **** ton of DML figures! :lol

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=232930
by eindhoven » 16 Nov 2018, 05:12

In Otto Funk's own words:

We are put on alert the night of June 25 to 26. As far as I remember, we were located then at Franqueville. SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk, our chief, tells us that the English have penetrated in the sector of Cheux and that their lead elements have already arrived at our artillery positions... The 15./25 is the only available reserve. We stay put at the side of the road during the night and awaiting our orders to move out. I am in the middle of my comrades and I say, "Who will be the first of us to get hit today?” Hscha. Boigk replies "Funk, stop saying nonsense! ". The morning is here and it is still dark. The offshore enemy marine artillery suddenly spits her shells towards Cheux and Mouen. The order to engage the enemy happens, now we are climbing into our Schwimmwagen and we head for a new day of combat.

Our way leads us through Saint-Germain- la-Blanche-Herbe, the prison in the neighborhood of Venoix, Bretteville-sur-Odon and Verson and then towards Cheux. Here the destruction of the artillery was unleashed; only the trunks of the trees remain, the sensitive branches were blown off by the detonations. After that little wood we reach an open space and leave our Schwimmwagen to walk on foot near the road. The Schwimmwagen follow behind at a distance. We cross a field of grain and we reach a meadow with a hedgerow standing in front of us. We shelter here first and allow the Schwimmwagen to follow us into the grain field. They stop and camouflage.

After a short break, we parallel the hedge on the right. At the end of this hedgerow, there are ten to twelve meters of cleared land then a hollow path that runs perpendicular to the hedgerow were are sheltered behind. When the first man pours out into the open free space, a hail of tracer bullets starts shooting across and sweeping the area. We rush across through this open area one by one and find shelter in the hollow path where, miraculously, we all arrive without any losses! We move along the hollow and, after about 80 m, we move up on another hollow road that runs through the one where we are. We gather up there and Hscha. Boigk divides us into three groups of the Ille section along this path. 3rd group, to which I belong, is the last. We advance on the left, parallel along this road.

After 30 to 40 m, the hollow rises to reach ground level and we have to flatten ourselves because there are only a few bushes towards the side of the enemy with a small hedge that has been well cleared by the shell impacts. Hscha. Boigk gestures to me: "Funk, place yourself in this shell hole! And I see then, about 80 m in front of me, two houses in the middle of a lot where there are many trees. After a moment, some "English" appear running between the houses and disappear into their individual holes. Hscha. Boigk comes crawling back and gives me the order to open fire with my MG if I see someone.

Suddenly, again appear a few "English" and my MG 42 cracks to life. At the same time that I open fire I get a shock at the top of my left arm, which throws me onto my side. My partner, Klaus Schuh, immediately resumes firing the MG and Hscha. Boigk tries to administer first aid, which is not easy as we are badly sheltered in the cramped shell hole. The blood continues to flow down my left sleeve. Hscha. Boigk tells me that we have to move back to the main hollow along the road. He pulls me by the foot with his right hand and, when we arrive in this hollow, I stand up, take a few steps, and (from what will Wilhelm Boigk later told me) I faint.

When I come back to, I am lying in the bushes along the hollow road and my comrades have already cut my sleeve to stop the blood and bandage the injury. To stop the blood, they placed three packs of bandages under my armpit. The blood no longer flows but an artery has been affected. I drink two canteens, one of which belonged to an Uscha. by the name of Mohr whom I got to know here but who came from my area, that of Giessen. Boigk says to me, "Tonight, you asked who would be the first to get hit and now it's you! I'm going to leave here. We go now to launch a counterattack and a Schwimmwagen will be able to take you back" Hascha. Boigk says to Uscha. Mohr that he must make contact with the 1st section which is in position on the left of the road leading to Mouen.

Uscha. Mohr goes away and leaves me (after the war, I will look for his parents in Giessen and I will learn that their son went missing in action on June 26, 1944 ...). After a while, I hear the roar of armored engines and I see two English tanks, coming from the houses that I had seen earlier, and they go through the hollow towards our Schwimmwagen. One of them is destroyed with a Panzerfaust but the second one continues towards our Schwimmwagen. Now, Hscha. Boigk says to me, "Follow the hollow road from where we have come from and get yourself to the aid station.” I take my leave and I head for the vehicles. On the way, while I am moving back along the hollow, I am shot at several times but I finally arrive at our vehicles. Three of them are burning, destroyed by the tank, including the one that had brought me containing all my personal effects.

A comrade immediately drives me to the Château de Louvigny where one of our field hospitals is located. In the afternoon they give me first aid and a doctor removes a bullet that had entered my rib cage and crossed the left side of my thoracic cavity.

In the evening, a comrade from the 3rd group, who was also wounded, informs me that Klaus Schuh was killed in battle; he was shot three times in the forehead just below his steel helmet. I have never found the site of his burial.

SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk, seen below, who administered 1st aid and dragged Otto Funk to safety would be killed on 4.7.44. He was 30 years old and left behind a wife and children.

OttoFunk, will eventually re-join his division where he will fight until May 8, 1945, when he was captured believing that Germany was still going to win the war!

Otto Funk passed away on 11 September 2011.

Sources:
39/45 Magazine No64, Otto Funk ca. Georges Bernages
Blood and Honor: The History of the 12 SS Panzer Division "Hitler Youth', Michael Reynolds;
1943-1945; Kriegsgeschichte der 12.SS-Panzer Division 'Hitlerjugend' Band II, Hubert Meyer

[Further confirmation that the following photo is Schuh and not Hamel]

Last. SS-Oberschütze Klaus Schuh and SS-Unterscharführer Peter Koslowski in the alley in Rots. This is not SS-Schütze Günther Hamel as has been misidentified and reposted incorrectly.

Exhausted Panzergrenadiers of SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk´s 3rd platoon.jpg

From left to right SS-Schütze Sepp Bund, SS-Unterscharführer Peter Koslowski, SS-Oberschütze Klaus Schuh and SS-Schütze Günther Hamel.

EKII award ceremony.jpg

Otto Funk was Klaus Schuh's ammo bearer. However, the section in "Otto Funk's own words" states repeatedly that he himself was firing the MG42, until he was hit, and then Schuh took over firing.

...my MG 42 cracks to life. At the same time that I open fire I get a shock at the top of my left arm, which throws me onto my side. My partner, Klaus Schuh, immediately resumes firing the MG...

Last edited:
Back