1/6 DID D80171 WWII German 12th SS Panzer Division Oberschütze – Lio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
DID Lio 1.jpg
DID Lio 2.jpg

DID Lio 18.jpg

DID Lio 3.jpg
DID Lio 5.jpg
DID Lio 8.jpg
DID Lio 4.jpg
DID Lio 6.jpg
DID Lio 7.jpg
DID Lio 9.jpg
DID Lio 10.jpg
DID Lio 11.jpg
DID Lio 12.jpg
DID Lio 13.jpg
DID Lio 14.jpg
DID Lio 15.jpg
DID Lio 16.jpg
DID Lio 17.jpg

Full Part List​

Base
1 Headsculpt
2 All New – DID 1:6 HG Body (Slim Tall Ver.)
3 Left Palm X 3 + Right Palm X 3

Outfits:
4 Helmet with inner liner and camouflage cover
5 M44 Pea Dot Camouflage Tunic
6 M44 Pea Dot Camouflage Trousers
7 Shirt
8 Cotton one-piece suit
9 German toque
10 Belt (genuine leather)
11 Y-straps (genuine leather)
12 WWII German field canvas gaiters
13 Boots (genuine leather)

Accessories:
14 WWII German A-frame carrier
15 Bread bag
16 WWII German canteen (metal)
17 WWII German mess tin (metal)
18 WWII German gas mask canister (metal)
19 Shovel (Wood & Metal) with covers (genuine leather)
20 MG42 spare barrel with barrel case (metal)
21 G43 ammo pouch
22 Black ammo pouch (genuine leather)
23 Drum magazine x 2 with carrier
24 MG42 ammo box (metal)

Weapon
25 G43 rifle (Wood & Metal) + clip X 1 + bullet X 3
26 Grenade
27 HJ Knife (metal) with Scabbard (metal and genuine leather)

Insignia:
28 Cuff title
29 Collar tab x 1 pair
30 Shoulder board x 1 pair
31 Rank insignia x 1
32 Sleeve Eagle x 1
33 Black wound badge x 1
34 HJ proficiency badge x 1

Brief Introduction​

June 1944, amidst the turmoil of Normandy’s shores. As the Allies embarked on Operation Overlord, Lio, an Oberschütze of the 12th SS Panzer Division, was steadfast, ready alongside with his counterparts like Otto to repel this ambitious siege.
As the assistant to the formidable MG42 gunner Otto, Lio played an indispensable role on the battlefield. Not only did he shoulder the weight of the MG42’s vital accessories, ensuring that the weapon could sustain its devastating barrage, but he also provided critical cover fire, ensuring Otto’s safety and the lethal efficiency of the MG42.

We masterfully captures this decisive moment in WWII history with the intricately detailed 1/6 WWII German 12th SS Panzer Division Oberschütze – Lio. The headsculpt mirrors the resilience and valor of a young soldier, eyes glinting with unyielding spirit. His face, marked by subtle scars above the left eye and cheekbone, silently narrated tales of battles past.

Lio’s attire comprises a helmet with an inner liner and camouflage cover, enabling a near-seamless blend with the environment. He wears the M44 pea dot camouflage tunic and trousers, worn over a shirt. A German Toque is nestled around his neck, while his gear, held in place by a belt and Y-straps. His feet are snugly protected by WWII German field canvas gaiters and boots.

With the G43 rifle in his hands, Lio offers precise cover. This semi-automatic rifle, developed as the Wehrmacht’s counter to the Soviet SVT-40, boasts a faster rate of fire than most bolt-action rifles, though its complex design sometimes posed maintenance challenges.Accompanying the G43 is a clip and three bullets, ensuring he’s prepared for immediate combat. For close encounters, Lio is equipped with a grenade and the sharp, metal HJ knife, complete with its scabbard.

His role as the MG42 gunner’s assistant is exemplified by the accessories he carries: the durable German A-frame carrier, metal essentials like a canteen, mess tin, gas mask canister, and shovel. Critical to his role, the MG42 spare barrel with its case, two drum magazines with a carrier, and an MG42 ammo box ensure the relentless operation of the MG42.

Enrich your collection with the presence of Oberschütze – Lio. Put him alongside with Otto, and let their stories of resilience and camaraderie unfold before you. Lio awaits his place in your curated space. Just take Lio home.

Not a big fan of the Uniform choice, would have preferred an SS M4O smock with a field grey tunic and insignia showing.

The G43 varnish is a little plain and the scars on the headsculpts are starting to get a bit annoying.

I was looking around again to see if any of Otto Funks team had a G43 or looked like this but wasn't able to find anything however I did find this Dragon 1/35 scale model kit for Waffen SS in Normandy and the last model looks almost identical to this guys loadout.

dra6003.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a big fan of the Uniform choice, would have preferred an SS M4O smock with a field grey tunic and insignia showing.

The G43 varnish is a little plain and the scars on the headsculpts are starting to get a bit annoying.

I was looking around again to see if any of Otto Funks team had a G43 or looked like this but wasn't able to find anything however I did find this Dragon 1/35 scale model kit for Waffen SS in Normandy and the last model looks almost identical to this guys loadout.

View attachment 667584

It was an odd decision to partner him up with Otto as I think all those guys in the photos had Italian camouflage.

Klaus Schuh would've made more sense, but while D80170 is currently an unused number but it would be just as odd to make another assistant gunner.

Last edited:
This Pea pattern camouflaged drill uniform (SS-Erbsenmuster getarnter Drillichanzug) was introduced by on 1st March 1944.

Waffen SS Camouflage Uniforms by Daniel Peterson details the following information relating to it:

Collar insignia was not authorised to be worn on these camouflage tunics. The sleeve eagle was authorised but photos show it was often omitted.

They were not made with loops and buttons for attaching shoulder boards, and officially the only rank insignia authorised was the sleeve patch system of bars and oakleaves introduced in February 1943. However, photos confirm that standard rank epaulettes were occasionally worn on these jackets.

Officially, caps and helmet covers do not seem to have been produced in this pattern. However, field-made examples of both do exist.

Lio wasn't a highly anticipated member of my pre-order list, but he was still a figure I didn't want to miss.

I haven't had any Erbsenmuster / pea pattern camouflage in the collection since the days of Dragon Models. It reminds me of snakeskin.

IMG_1737 DID Lio.JPG

I like the new back drop as well.

Another good sculpt, though with the obligatory satin finish that shows up with the flash:

IMG_1739 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1738 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1740 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1741 DID Lio.JPG

There's flesh paint on the underside of the hair at the front, but I can only see it in hand looking up at the sculpt, and even then it's hidden in shadow,

The G43:

IMG_1734 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1735 DID Lio.JPG

A highlight of the newer parts contained:

IMG_1742 DID Lio.JPG

The MG42 ammunition box is metal:

IMG_1744 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1745 DID Lio.JPG

The barrel case is also metal, and comes with the barrel already inside it:

IMG_1747 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1748 DID Lio.JPG

The MG42 drums and carrier are plastic, which saves some weight:

IMG_1743 DID Lio.JPG

K98 and G43 ammunition pouches:

IMG_1746 DID Lio.JPG

He's boxed wearing the cuff title, which I removed since regulations forbade the wearing of them on camouflage, though photographs show the rule wasn't always obeyed.

IMG_1749 DID Lio.JPG

He went together quite well, apart from the strap coming unglued from the back of the water bottle, and the time it took to get the A-frame straps through the buckles.

The G43 magazine has a similar problem as Axel's FG 42. With the FG 42 it, along with the bayonet, falls out with the slightest movement.

The G43 doesn't fall right out, but drops down out of place before settling. I cured it by putting a piece of white tack on top of the magazine so it stays in the correct position.

After sorting the A-frame straps and regluing the water bottle, it all went together easily. Unlike Axel, Lio's belt was already set at the perfect length with the pins fully inserted.

The wound badge has a pin fastener as normal, but the HJ badge has nothing on the back at all. You either need to use double sided tape, or glue it to the uniform.

IMG_1754 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1755 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1756 DID Lio.JPG
IMG_1758 DID Lio.JPG

(I've only just noticed there's still tape around the G43 sling).

Love this one. The peadot is a bit bright but it's a solid figure non the less.

_MG_0115.JPG
_MG_0121.JPG
_MG_0112.JPG
_MG_0124.JPG
_MG_0127.JPG
1000032953.jpg
1000032926.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_0112.JPG
    _MG_0112.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 0
  • _MG_0124.JPG