1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20201018_184448.jpg
IMG_20201018_184427.jpg
IMG_20201018_184526.jpg

Bith if the face masks were placed at the middle seam on the tunic shoulder as this is approximately where the edge of the mask would sit, thus giving a more accurate comparison of size and how it will look displayed next to a Hot Toys figure.

Any questions, just fire away. We'll do our best to answer them.

1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Nice, I?m definitely going with true 1/6 scale. I was initially worried that the Hot Toys body and suit would make the true 1/6 scale parts look too small, but the difference looks subtle in the pics, so I?m not worried now.

Thanks for giving us a reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting Paul but could you post one more pic of the two facemasks either side of the Tarkin head? Maybe lay the figure down on a table and put some blu-tac behind the two facemasks to hold them in place.

In doing an accurate side-by-side comp of the two facemask pics above (ie making the Tarkin faces from both pics exactly the same size,) the facemasks seem pretty close to the same size. I guess just distortion.

Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Very nice!

Nice, I?m definitely going with true 1/6 scale. I was initially worried that the Hot Toys body and suit would make the true 1/6 scale parts look too small, but the difference looks subtle in the pics, so I?m not worried now.

Thanks for giving us a reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I think I will also be going with the true scale version.

Good to see some really positive comments from you guys, we're currently looking at working out the sizes to print at and hope to have something to show soon for feedback.

We are exploring the option to print the face masks slightly hollow so that the eyes etc can be hollowed out. The belt boxes are printed in two parts anyway to make them easier to attach to the belt. We will keep working away to bring you the best possible parts to enhance your figures. :)

I like the idea of the face masks being somewhat hollow as it will make it much easier to get a neck adapter in there.

As for going with true scale or resized, keep in mind that the hot toys body is BIG. I have a Kaiyodo hurricane mask and I think it looks way too small on the stock hot toys ANH body. If you are going with the stock body, I suggest you consider the resized option. Keep in mind that even that options looks quite a bit smaller than the hot toys helmet.

Didn't you guys say that the HT helmet was way oversized compared to the rest of the HT armor? So scaling this up to HT helmet size would make the rest of our armor even larger than HT. We are trying to match things to the rest of the armor, which will naturally make our helmet smaller than the HT.

Oh I am fine with the helmet being smaller than HT. I was just commenting that the resized armor is likely to be a better fit for the stock HT Vader body compared to the true 1/6 scale version. This being based off the assumption that the true 1/6 scale helmet is likely to be similar in size to the kayiodo/helmet which IMO is too small for the HT body without modifications.

Thanks for posting Paul but could you post one more pic of the two facemasks either side of the Tarkin head? Maybe lay the figure down on a table and put some blu-tac behind the two facemasks to hold them in place.

In doing an accurate side-by-side comp of the two facemask pics above (ie making the Tarkin faces from both pics exactly the same size,) the facemasks seem pretty close to the same size. I guess just distortion.
I've put these photos together as I have put Tarkin back into his box. There is a very slight difference in size, I prefer the resized version to be honest. The photo shows the different faceplates at the same seam line on the uniform.
PhotoGrid_1603221890816.jpg

Thanks for the many comparison shots, Paul! I'm still definitely going with the true 1:6 version for all parts.

I like the idea of the face masks being somewhat hollow as it will make it much easier to get a neck adapter in there.

As for going with true scale or resized, keep in mind that the hot toys body is BIG. I have a Kaiyodo hurricane mask and I think it looks way too small on the stock hot toys ANH body. If you are going with the stock body, I suggest you consider the resized option. Keep in mind that even that options looks quite a bit smaller than the hot toys helmet.

Agreed that on the stock HT, the kaiyodo looks too small, so this might as well. To make the true 1:6 parts work, it's important to modify the body and suit.

I made more progress on this now, getting the body smaller and more proportionate. I *think* I'm finally done with the modifications. My plan is to do the same to my ANH Vader which will be using these parts. I'm not looking forward to the sewing a second time. :lol I still need to make the new gloves as you can see.
For reference, I'm using an original kaiyodo mask with hurricane ROTJ dome here (I finally found it again). The body is a slimmed down HT ESB, the suit a resewn HT V1 ANH. Chest armor is HT ESB, trimmed at the neck and outer edges.

Hopefully this gives a better idea how true 1:6 parts can still looks proportionate with HT parts once modified.

IMG_4342_3_small.jpg

IMG_4293_3_small.jpg

IMG_4325_2_small.jpg

IMG_4313_2_small.jpg

IMG_4374_3_small.jpg

First two deposits taken. I can't believe this is actually happening. Can't wait to hear what people think and see how people will paint up their pieces and see the finished Vaders start to pop up. It's been a long journey and I couldn't have done without all the kind people who helped me along the way and is still helping me get this made. Thanks to all of them. And thanks to you guys for expressing interest and for buying these. Can't wait for you to get them in hand and really hope you'll be happy and as psyched as I am.

Color guides are being made as we speak. Just having some trouble with the colors on the chest and belt box, since many of those parts are opaque light covers.

Yay! glad to see the first people will get theirs soon. TMG, do you know of anyone from here or the prop den that would be recommended for painting these?

First two deposits taken. I can't believe this is actually happening. Can't wait to hear what people think and see how people will paint up their pieces and see the finished Vaders start to pop up. It's been a long journey and I couldn't have done without all the kind people who helped me along the way and is still helping me get this made. Thanks to all of them. And thanks to you guys for expressing interest and for buying these. Can't wait for you to get them in hand and really hope you'll be happy and as psyched as I am.

Color guides are being made as we speak. Just having some trouble with the colors on the chest and belt box, since many of those parts are opaque light covers.

Many thanks for your dedication in putting this project together, I'm sure this will be the benchmark for accurate 1:6 SW for many years to come.

I'm one of the lucky two in already having paid the deposit, I really can't wait to receive this. I'm not the fastest customizer though, so I'm sure we'll see others paint this up already in the meantime.
A colour guide sounds great! I was also thinking about starting a separate thread for building the ultimate 1:6 Vader, including body, suit, cape and all (sorry for slightly derailing earlier with my other shots).

I was also thinking about starting a separate thread for building the ultimate 1:6 Vader, including body, suit, cape and all (sorry for slightly derailing earlier with my other shots).

Yeah, any advice on getting a Vader to look like yours all in one place would be very much appreciated.

I'm going to be busy on Rusty's 2-1B kit for a while but can't wait until my number comes up for this TMG Vader kit.

Will be awesome to see what some of the experienced customizers on this forum do with it. My guess we get a lot of "omg - that looks like a pic of Prowse in costume" type comments.:lol

I've been kind of disappointed (in a variety of ways) with pretty much all the SSC or HT Vaders over the years, mostly centered on the helmet just not looking right, or the chestbox or chest armor being slightly too big or small. I've got so many pieces in the Vader parts bin, and I'm hoping to do a (very expensive) Vader parts bonfire after the TMG kit arrives.:yess:

This is to show how the face mask casts are done. They are done as a solid shell, but you can cut it open with a dremel and slowly clean away the material at the lenses and mouth area if you want to insert lenses and grills. There may be small support structures inside, but they should be easily removed.

The pictures below illustrate it done quickly on a test print.

, on Flickr
, on Flickr
, on Flickr
, on Flickr

Back