1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comparisons to original Hot Toys, ANH stock helmet. Again, I chose the Hot Toys scale option. It?s very close, but slightly smaller which is perfect for me.

babe18f805c44977e3ae2dc075e40087.jpg

1ffb673abdc2e6b80a26c21ab3a0b40c.jpg

f2e2bbf64160ff499fba3174e3557061.jpg

3db9ff0ae5402feab0cfc23c8edd418f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want... I want... I want... sorry, got a little hypnotized by those pics.:lol

Looks so awesome and can't wait to see the first full paint-up of these.:yess:

Congrats on yours, WTC!
After 2 weeks in tracking limbo, my set also suddenly arrived on the afternoon of the 24th, perfectly in time for Christmas. :yess:

Really a great job by everybody involved, very clean casts and of course beautiful scans/sculpts. I'll do some minor sanding here and there, but I'm not in a rush with this, I'll take my time to ensure I'll give it the attention to detail it deserves. :)
I went with the 1:6 truescale version, and I love it. I'll be modifying the HT body and bodysuit to be true to 1:6 scale as well.

Here some first comparison shots with my custom kaiyodo Vader (original kaiyodo mask painted by me, with hurricane dome) and modified HT Vader (originally from the Tarkin set).

IMG_4843_2_small.jpg

IMG_4839_2_small.jpg

Beautiful work, I can't wait to see it fully painted! Thanks for sharing.

Just a tip. If a part doesn't fit exactly on the body and you don't want to trim the body to fit the part, you can lightly heat up the part with a hair dryer to soften it up a bit (not too much as you may risk making it too soft and thus making it prone to snapping the material apart) and then simply ease it down over the body to make it fit. Don't try to force it to fit when it is cold, as you'll snap the printed resin. Mostly do this in areas that are not visibly seen, like the wings that goes over the shoulders on the chest armor - don't heat up the front as that shape is what you want to preserve.

If a part is thinner than you feel comfortable with you can lightly fill it with filler medium on the inside to fatten it up, but use something with a little elasticity in it, as it works better.

Paint guide for ANH will be made available at the end of the week. ESB and RotJ will come later.

Look at how you can see the subtle wavy bumpy surface on the dome, and the texture on the underside of the skirt of the dome.

d126bf90714b41ec0bc3ee6f99e8527a.plist

d1ed15d4b465e975e8e38a2a635f34c4.jpg

The texture on the underside of the dome skirt is from the print supports so should probably be sanded down a bit. (the small bumps)

Last edited:
I was talking about the replicated texture from the real helmet. [emoji1]
I will be sending down the tiny support nubs.

Really looking forward to that paint guide. Thanks for all the advice and the work you?re putting into this!

Sorry for the delay guys. We had issues with printing the shins, which made me have to go back and look at the models and found a serious issue with them that could create issues and make prints fail to print properly, which is what we experienced. I've hopefully fixed the issue and I made the shins a little thicker, as it was noted that they were really thin in some areas. I worked on it this weekend and until today, so sorry to the three who has paid and are waiting and too all the rest. It's my fault for not checking the models thoroughly enough before sending them off to Paul, but hope you'll forgive this small delay.

Those who have gotten the shins and think they are a little too thin can easily fatten them up a bit with some resin filler on the back.

Can't wait to get these Vader pieces. The attention to detail in this project is truly astounding.

The next on the list have been contacted as we are rounding up the printing for the current batch.

There'll be an update on the trooper helmets soon. Just need to finish some things.

The next on the list have been contacted as we are rounding up the printing for the current batch.

There'll be an update on the trooper helmets soon. Just need to finish some things.

The trooper helmets are what I’m really looking forward to. Have you looked any further into the possible scanning and production of Stormtrooper armour yet?

Sadly no. I don't have the equipment anymore and I don't have the funds for it right now.

I'm waiting to hear back from prvtnoclass - anyone heard from him lately?

A bit more work on Prowse. I made the top of the skull a bit bigger, which meant I had to reshape the hair model to fit the new shape, so it is a little different than the ones posted earlier. I also realized the sharpness between the two models made it difficult to blend properly, so I trimmed off the sideburns from the hair model, then fused it to the head sculpt and spent yesterday sculpting new sideburns and blending things in on one side and making it look good. I'm pretty pleased with the result. Now I just have to work and finish the other side and I'll be able to get them printed.

The 3D model isn't angled exactly to the reference. I just kept it in there to show the reference I'm using.

, on Flickr

Awesome!

Yeah seriously - how many of those stormie helmets are people going to order? I'd get 2 or 3.

Probably 4 for me. ANH Sandtrooper helmets would be awesome as well. I need 4 of those too.

I have two Stormtroopers and two Sandtroopers in my collection, with a (long-term) plan for a third Sandtrooper, so I'll try to get something around this number as well.

Back