1/6 DARK TOYS DTM005 Collectible Figure MAX DX

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a new knee guard from some leather and pieces of plastic wire covering. Not perfect but a little more accurate to the movie.
I also have a Sam Browne belt on the way, along with other bits to continue the upgrade...or madness🤪

DSC_0011.JPGDSC_0069.JPG

Which one claims to use real leather? Which set has the best doggo?
I may be wrong but none may be using "real" leather. I really like the Premier dog. The Dark Toys one looks fine but the red scarf is molded and not a separate fabric piece, which the Premier one has.

Just put in an order for both these head sculpts— can’t wait to piece together a decent Max with the bones of the Premier toys version! Taking inspiration from Matrix and others!

continue the upgrade...or madness🤪

Madness it is... but great work all the same!

I was planning on just cutting the existing DT knee pad a little more round and adjust the rivets accordingly. Hope that's enough.

I went through my Mad Max Box last week to see what, if anything, my 20 years of compiling parts has given me. Sadly, almost everything I had acquired was either inferior or literally deteriorated in my hand as I inspected it. So... my Max will be mostly Dark Toys, other than replacing the binocs, the Sam Brown belt and buckle, and maybe adding bendy hands in real gloves.

Last edited:
Just went through my emails and a notification for my 2nd Max should be delivered tomorrow :rock Now the work begins all over again:yess:

Sorry to hear all the parts rotted Wor-Gar 😬

Sorry to hear all the parts rotted Wor-Gar 😬

Yeah, some of the parts are just way too old -- 10 years -- some just aren't up to today's standards. I have some good parts from the time -- raveneye pouches, Mr.E boots, Ghost Rider jacket, some old leather pants, even some unpainted beastmaster tools -- but most of it just won't work on this particular Max. I think I'm most disappointed about the Mr.E boots -- really love those, but it requires me to cut the boots off the DT leg brace, and then reattach somehow. I'd prefer to find a real metal leg brace. I actually have a metal one from Elvis1976, but it is very dated and not too accurate being over 10 years old now.

All of these leg braces from Present and Premier are also plastic, right?

Anyway, if I ever want to make a 2nd Max, perhaps a true battle-damaged Max, then these parts will come in handy.

Where was this outfit like 5 years ago? Now there's three figures out there, a slew of parts, and a very solid Dark Toys figure available.

Maybe I'm bitter because I have a box full of custom parts I can't use.
SC wasn't as big or as skilled as today. They can now actually make real leather boots and outfits. That is what sucks in the hobby back then there were not enough options until now.

I'm at the point where I think I'll be good to go with my "Road Warrior" Max. Future upgrades could be limited to just a better head sculpt and perhaps some tiny tweaks or added details, such as the tools or adding the music box, for example.

What I am truly hoping for is that a company will do a "Beyond Thunderdome" version. Different enough to warrant another figure. Two head sculpts, please. One early film long haired sculpt and a shorter haired sculpt, as well.

corbis-0000206169-001.jpg

The leg brace of the Premier Toys Max can be fixed a bit for better look and fit over the leg. The top straps have to be fixed, in my figure they where put to "short" in the front when they where fix in place via the "heat plastic rivet", also the half round plate on the brace (boot area) also need to be replaced with a thinner and smaller piece and add the strap. The top brace strap supports also are to think and will stick out to much, a styrene plastic or thin metal replacement will solve this and maintain functionality in the brace. A full repaint and weathering will help A LOT hide the fact that is a plastic piece. The knee pad, I just made one from real leather and home made/punch rivet heads from a soda can aluminum.

Dark Toys leg brace can be also made to look good, but the lower boot molded in brace strips complicate things a little bit, but in the end it looks nice with a little time and care.

I would actually be in for Beyond Thunderdom run also. His outfit is basically the same as that of Fury Road in terms of the pants and jacket being damaged and stitched up.

I'm still available make ole Max's boots, and honestly, they've improved over the years. I don't have this set, though I have been considering picking up loose pieces to use with one of my extra Max heads. I always liked the sculpt/appearance of the cultking boots, as they were nicely detailed, and the DT one's are just recasted from there. At the very least you've got a nice looking pair of boots. I don't have any of these recent releases on hand to examine the leg braces and to see how compatible they are with my current boots.

I have the Full Metal brace from a few years back but the problem again is that the boot connecting part is too narrow to fit many other 1/6 boots. This is why Max as a character can be such a tricky figure to pull off and the mix and match process can have varying degrees of success. In an ideal world it really needs to a complete figure set where all artists involved (be they tailors/sculptors/accessory making artists) are coordinating together on the figure.

Madness it is... but great work all the same!

I was planning on just cutting the existing DT knee pad a little more round and adjust the rivets accordingly. Hope that's enough.

I went through my Mad Max Box last week to see what, if anything, my 20 years of compiling parts has given me. Sadly, almost everything I had acquired was either inferior or literally deteriorated in my hand as I inspected it. So... my Max will be mostly Dark Toys, other than replacing the binocs, the Sam Brown belt and buckle, and maybe adding bendy hands in real gloves.
That's what i intended on doing, but the left over glue residue from the studs along with the stitch holes made me rethink.

Back