【Avengers: Infinity War -1/6th scale Doctor Strange Collectible Figure】

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 【Avengers: Infinity War -1/6th scale Doctor Strange Collectible Figure】

I know I've had this with other figures where people tell me it doesn't look like the actor and I think it's great, so I'm going to strike it up to the uncanny valley or something to me because I agree w/ the few other posters; this is a huge step back from the proto and V1 headsculpt IMO.

Yeah let’s not get crazy. The first one is better but the new one isn’t horrific.

And what’s this I read about Star Lord 1 having a bad sculpt?! :O

It's fun reading when a new figure comes out. Opinions are always all over the place. Some actually get angry at others opinions.

It's funny how consistently that mostly all the bashers of the new figure and defenders of the original....... Are those that own the original. Plus from owning many HT figures, pictures/video reviews never do the head sculpts justice. They always seem to get a bit washed out and lose detail. They almost always look better in hand. No matter how good the photographer is or the quality of the camera they are using. I don't believe any MCU fan would look at either head sculpt and not know who it is. In the review itself, he says the new sculpt is an improvement over the original in paint and detail. The guy who has both in hand. The likeness itself aside, it really is personal/individual preference.

I don't own the original, but I did want it. I like the character and enjoyed the movie, but he wasn't a necessity for me. After IW I liked Strange even more. I have this PO'd at BBTS and am still deciding whether to keep him or not.

To me both look good. I'd be happy with either version. If I had the opportunity to purchase either right now for retail, I think I would still go for the new one for multiple reasons. The true lucky ones are those that have the space and the $$ to own both.

It's fun reading when a new figure comes out. Opinions are always all over the place. Some actually get angry at others opinions.

It's funny how consistently that mostly all the bashers of the new figure and defenders of the original....... Are those that own the original. Plus from owning many HT figures, pictures/video reviews never do the head sculpts justice. They always seem to get a bit washed out and lose detail. They almost always look better in hand. No matter how good the photographer is or the quality of the camera they are using. I don't believe any MCU fan would look at either head sculpt and not know who it is. In the review itself, he says the new sculpt is an improvement over the original in paint and detail. The guy who has both in hand. The likeness itself aside, it really is personal/individual preference.

I don't own the original, but I did want it. I like the character and enjoyed the movie, but he wasn't a necessity for me. After IW I liked Strange even more. I have this PO'd at BBTS and am still deciding whether to keep him or not.

To me both look good. I'd be happy with either version. If I had the opportunity to purchase either right now for retail, I think I would still go for the new one for multiple reasons. The true lucky ones are those that have the space and the $$ to own both.

Well said! :clap

Thank you!

Yeah let’s not get crazy. The first one is better but the new one isn’t horrific.

And what’s this I read about Star Lord 1 having a bad sculpt?! :O

I just meant that when SL1 came out, everyone thought it was great but now that we have the second version, the first one seems like SD compared to HD. I know some people prefer the expression but I'm talking more about the quality of the likeness and the paint.

Similar to MOS and BVS Superman. Or TDW Loki and Ragnarok Loki. It's like a figure from a different era.

It's funny how consistently that mostly all the bashers of the new figure and defenders of the original....... Are those that own the original.

The subconscious bias is definitely real. I remember telling myself I didn’t need the Civil War Black Widow when it came out because the headsculpt on the Winter Soldier version was just as good, if not better. Having both in hand, I don’t know how I thought that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold the original and won't be picking up this new version and the original looks clearly better to me. The newer sculpt just looks odd. Like he got a face lift or something.

Personally, I like to go with whatever figure I like. At the end of the day, I will be the one to look at my figures most often.

I understand why some people are thinking about the subconscious bias but I doubt it for this figure. I'll use myself as an example since I don't want to speak for other people who might think differently. If I really like this newer version, I can currently buy it from Sideshow for retail. Since I already have the older version, I can sell it to cover my purchase of the newer version or at least offset the cost. I know that I will only be fooling myself by not upgrading if I strongly prefer the newer version because it is still available at the retail price. If the figure has been sold out for a long time, then it's a different story.

At the end of the day, I still think that this new version is a solid release. I probably would have bought it (or strongly considered buying it) if I did not have the older version. This new version has a lot of accessories which adds to its appeal to me. Once this release sells out, only time will tell which version collectors will prefer.

Buy what is pleasing to you and use your own eyes to make your own decision. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Were only in the half cycle of the release trend. Once more people get this in hand and start giving out their opinions and photos on it, then those that condemned it in the beginning will eventually hunt one down at higher-than-retail prices. If you've been collecting and participating in these threads for a while, you'll know...

I just meant that when SL1 came out, everyone thought it was great but now that we have the second version, the first one seems like SD compared to HD. I know some people prefer the expression but I'm talking more about the quality of the likeness and the paint.

Similar to MOS and BVS Superman. Or TDW Loki and Ragnarok Loki. It's like a figure from a different era.

Oh I see. Can’t argue with that :)

Were only in the half cycle of the release trend. Once more people get this in hand and start giving out their opinions and photos on it, then those that condemned it in the beginning will eventually hunt one down at higher-than-retail prices. If you've been collecting and participating in these threads for a while, you'll know...

Some people. I've seen enough. For me - there's figs like BW where I love TWS, Ultron, CW versions. All stay. For one thing, paint-wise, IMO these mirror the cosmetic differences for ScarJo in the films; plus costumes etc. So sometimes older figures IMO for whatever reason are as good or better.

Not condemning this DS release, but flat out I don't like it as much as the one I own. I wouldn't have touched that DS #1 sculpt for IW, except maybe change the painted eye position, or hair, or maybe added a bit of blood/battle damage.

This release just reminds me of the IW Cap release - less chiseled features; cutting corners e.g. no cape wire, lots of inexpensive accessories. Good enough but not better. If you don't have a DS tho, I'd say get this one, because HT seems to keep raising prices and who knows, the next DS may come with less and cost more. It's probably the last release with this costume except the cloak.

To me, the first release felt like it was done with a lot of care. A definitive Dr. Strange. This one feels like more time was spent making cool accessories IMO.

And I don't feel particularly biased, 'coz this isn't a favorite character of mine. But if I only want one DS in my collection, I think DS#1 is a better representation - even the box.

The improved cape and costume details are the big selling points to me.

The improved cape and costume details are the big selling points to me.

My guess is HT did not wire the cloak to improve how it drapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m excited to get this guy. Since I just recently started, the original was long sold out and I couldn’t bring myself to pay that far over retail. He will look great protecting the realities of my displays.

Back