Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio And Yoda's Hut UPDATE 6/17!!! Post #115

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED11/11!!!

:impatient::impatient::impatient::impatient:

x 4..........................:panic:

:lol

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED11/11!!!

Shooting for getting back on the horse, err curio, NEXT weekend! :yess:

Last edited:

We finally got to work on the curio again! :yess:

I got a couple of pictures that I'll add to this post later on.

We glued the 5 mirror pieces to the backboard of the curio. The pictures really don't show the size of this thing.

Also, we worked on the corner shelf supports (finishing work) and also working on polishing aluminum support braces to a mirror finish. They are going to look very snazzy!

Next tentative date is the 14th and we'll install the shelf supports and hopefully after that breaking it down for sanding and prepping for the staining/sealing process! I really can't wait to get it done and get my collection in it!

Okay here's the WIP pics:

Applying the mirror adhesive:
photobucket-1949-1333645194509.jpg

The first mirror glued on (15 1/4 x 48 inches):
photobucket-5075-1333637989166.jpg

The second mirror added:
photobucket-5667-1333638032742.jpg

The whole thing:

photobucket-4692-1333645399478.jpg

Polishing the aluminum supports was a chore. First did some sanding with sand paper, then a course grade of steel wool followed by a fine grade of steel wool and then applying Brasso and rotary polishing. Doing 4 of these took virtually an entire afternoon as they are 4 feet in length.

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED 4/05!!!

Plan today is to finish the aluminum supports and get them mounted along with the back shelf supports. Then to break it down and start sanding!

I think you guys will be interested in seeing exactly how it's broken down for portability.

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio UPDATED 4/22!!!

Okay, this was a great day! Pretty much the last session prior to finishing.

First, here are the front corner shelf supports that we installed:

photobucket-2761-1335134569253.jpg

And here's the aluminum shelf supports that I've been polishing to an almost mirror finish:

photobucket-9759-1335134589037.jpg

Next, we re-attached the back of the curio (with all mirrors firmly in place and cured):

photobucket-19653-1335134610395.jpg

And a picture with a shelf and a Hasbro 12" figure:

photobucket-16828-1335134637626.jpg

Each shelf should hold about 30 figures so I'll have room for 120 along with Jabba, Han in Carbonite and a few figures in the bottom. :yess:

And finally, a picture of the back shelf supports that I sanded down and beveled edges:

photobucket-2889-1335134652698.jpg

Next session will be breaking it down (and I'll take pictures of each component) and a day of sanding. :thud:

Cant wait to see the final product

epic in progress......:lecture

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio BIG UPDATE 5/21!!!

Okay, this is last pictorial update before it's complete :panic:

Yesterday, we took it apart to do some woodfilling and sanding. I thought I'd take pictures of the components so you could see how it disassembles. Because of the size of the thing, this was a necessity. It will be put together in the Star Wars room and when the day comes for me to move, it'll be able to be taken apart and put back together at the new location.

You've already seen pictures of the door and the back with mirrors so I did not duplicate those. Here are the remaining pieces--

The bottom molding:

photobucket-2776-1337603027112.jpg

This will be screwed into the bottom when assembled

photobucket-7275-1337603156057.jpg

The top:

photobucket-1640-1337603180590.jpg

The electronics inside the top (lights and cooling fan):

photobucket-4828-1337603209438.jpg

The bottom that will support Jabba (top piece is sanded plywood that fits into a recess that was routed out of the frame):

photobucket-4925-1337603246319.jpg

Top rail with joining mechanism (thing is uber strong!):

photobucket-6672-1337603286691.jpg

There are one on each side of the top rail and the bottom rail joining each to the sides in this fashion:

photobucket-6714-1337603327236.jpg

Side:

photobucket-930-1337603349711.jpg

Bottom rail:

photobucket-2778-1337603426203.jpg

All that's left now is to finish the sanding, do the staining and sealing and then installation!

Last edited:
Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio BIG UPDATE 5/21!!!

Finished the sanding today and put the 1st coat of stain on.

1 more coat should do it, then it's sealing x2 and it'll be ready to go!

On deck: Yoda's Hut display...

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio QUICK UPDATE 5/28!!! Post #110

Photos! I want new and big photos of this amazing project!

Thanks and I will make sure to take plenty once that last coat of stain goes on and it's all glossy and looks like furniture. :horror

Can't wait to take pictures with all the figures in it!

use a hair dryer to speed up the process for piss sakes...........:cuss

:lol...............dude this is gonna be awesome. be sure to cast this up so copies will be available.............:banana

use a hair dryer to speed up the process for piss sakes...........:cuss

:lol...............dude this is gonna be awesome. be sure to cast this up so copies will be available.............:banana

:rotfl Thanks barry! I can't wait to post the finished pictures and start stocking it!

So, we put the second coat of stain on today and I'm liking it! Still have to polyurethane before putting it together.

Meanwhile, project #2 began! So without further ado, here's the beginnings of the display for Yoda's Hut Environment!

So naturally there's the planning and drawing the highly technical blueprints:

photobucket-27969-1339980025546.jpg

After that, it was time to transfer the blueprints to the material (particle board for this one):

photobucket-2744-1339980097321.jpg

Part of the display is going to be a motorized lazy susan so we took a plain lazy susan and cut the groove for the drive belt:

photobucket-4528-1339980128539.jpg

And here's the lazy susan in action!: (Click and turn head sideways--sorry)

And finally the footboards for the base were cut:

photobucket-21584-1339980699007.jpg

Yes im am eagerly awaiting pics of this also since im considering doing the same thing. Hurry up already:)

While we are waiting for cooperation with the temperatures here in the South, here's my list of "to do's":

1. Curio
2. Yoda Hut Environment display
3. Dagobah Luke and Yoda Premium Format Display
4. Dewback/Sandtrooper Display

In between these displays:

1. 1/6 body suits
2. Cantina band instruments #6 and #7

Bought supplies for the Cantina band instruments. I'll post pics of the prototypes and if the interest is there, I'll do some casting :)

Looking forward to your take on the two missing band instruments. The Bigger of the two has always held a fascination for me. I was searching google today and found a couple good pics of it- but that ain't saying much. It appears to be on a raised L shape

Back