Yoda Bust is Coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks freakin sweet!!! :monkey5 more pics please!

but Im not getting mine untill MAY!
oh well - My credit card could use the rest - or maybe I will buy some other stuff instead!!! IM ADDICTED!!!:D:rotfl:D

spaceman said:
Looks great, very encouraging, though I was sure it would be killer.

ST - its hard to get a feeling for the eyes from the pics. I think the flash probably plays with them a little. They are the only part of the product I've been a little anxious over. What are your impressions of the eyes, up close?
They're OK...>They seem to be looking in a funny upward direction....But then, Yoda is small.
What I was surprised at is that he is not pure polystone....the head and hand, I mean. He is covered is some soft material....I thought this was going to be like the Maul and Greedo....he's not. He's rubbery....all over! :confused:

Sir Tristram said:
They're OK...>They seem to be looking in a funny upward direction....But then, Yoda is small.
What I was surprised at is that he is not pure polystone....the head and hand, I mean. He is covered is some soft material....I thought this was going to be like the Maul and Greedo....he's not. He's rubbery....all over! :confused:

Thanks for the reply. VERY interesting about the rubbery coat! I had not heard this anywhere. It definitely makes sense I would guess, to better emulate the original texture & finish. I wonder if it also was a necessary step for embedding the pieces of hair.

Interesting response on the eyes also. I hadn't thought much about orientation, although it can certainly change the expression/mood that is depicted. I was wondering moreso about "depth", complexity, coloration and believability of the paint and gloss application.

spaceman said:
Thanks for the reply. VERY interesting about the rubbery coat! I had not heard this anywhere. It definitely makes sense I would guess, to better emulate the original texture & finish. I wonder if it also was a necessary step for embedding the pieces of hair.

Interesting response on the eyes also. I hadn't thought much about orientation, although it can certainly change the expression/mood that is depicted. I was wondering moreso about "depth", complexity, coloration and believability of the paint and gloss application.
Yes, I thought he would be looking forward more....straigth ahead....he looks up a little. But the texture is what surprised me by far the most!

I cannot believe no one is talking about it! Especially since the crab-fest over teh Boba Fett is dying, I would have thought this would stregthen their argument....This may be poly underneath, but he is definitely made of something soft for an outer shell! I noticed about two hours after I unpacked him ...I touched his ears and they were soft, then I touched his face and hand...all soft coated!

I still love it though!

Obviously the eyes dont look like the ones below (I took this w/o a flash at SDCC) - but on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the pic you see below, how do the eyes rate in person?\

yoda2-full.jpg

I should note that I really like the change in the scuplt - the final product has an ESB puppet feel that the protype didnt. The eyes though - im not so sure im sold.

For my .02, I am MUCH MORE likely to welcome the texture on Yoda because it is more like the actual prop; while ALL previous PFs have had solid polystone bases. Not to mention the rooted hair was also an issue with the outer material used.

Let's see some more pics! :monkey5

Gruson said:
Yuck...it's really off IMO.

Im glad i canceled mine, i think this model looks like burtal.. i love the orignal hate this version. easy pass for me.

Bonehead15 said:
I agree. I don't know what it is but it sure doesn't look like the photos from SDCC. Maybe it's just the photos?:confused:

They changed it from SDCC, but I also feel the photos posted so far aren't showing it off as well as it could be shown. I'm not saying anything bad about those of you who have taken photos, you've done good work and I appreciate your sharing with us, but as many know in these forums, these collectibles can lose their impact under certain camera lighting. If you look at the quality of light used in the SSC web shots versus the flash filled shots posted here, you can see some of the shape isn't showing as well without heavy shadow falling in the right places.

Plus its been my experience that these things always look better in person than in pictures, with a few notable exceptions in the form of people who manage to make their pictures look almost like art.

Good photography is truly an art form, and it takes time just to figure out the pitfalls of the cameras and lenses, then more time to learn tricks and techniques to compensate for that. For instance, when I shoot 1/6 figures, I used to find closeups looked distorted but I would have the lens close and the zoom minimal, now I keep the lens back and use the zoom to get close and it lessens the distortion. The biggest thing is standard camera flash just is unfavorable in any situation, it's ok for pictures where you just want to capture the moment at a part or at conventions, but if you're trying to make creative photos, it's an anchor, which is why I bought a mountable flash with a pivot so I can bounce the flash from sources and get more dynamic light setups.

Ya, I know what you're thinking, NERD ALERT!

That's very true. Even with this new camera I'm still trying to figure things out so every photo can come out looking pretty darn good.

Josh, you've also stepped up from point and click shooting to a camera with creative control, and I'm sure you're running into things I did when I first got my camera, I didn't even know what half the settings meant let alone what I should have them on, I was like aperture, what's that, hit up Barnes & Noble, they've got some great photography books if you're interested in pursuing it.

I took two photography classes in high school. It's too bad I didn't bother to pay any attention in them.

Yeah, there are so many settings I need to go in and try to work with. Getting the time and all that right now isn't easy but maybe during the summer I can try. I also could use getting a book of just how to and see where that takes me. :lol

Josh, if I remember right, your model camera is an SLR, so it could be to that some of the shots you're looking to do, may not be best taken with the lens you have and you may need to but a different lens for it. That's the one thing I don't know about with camera's, I've only ever used a single lens camera, haven't used an SLR with interchangeable lenses, but I'm sure with a little time and experience I could pick that up too.

MaulFan said:
Josh, if I remember right, your model camera is an SLR, so it could be to that some of the shots you're looking to do, may not be best taken with the lens you have and you may need to but a different lens for it. That's the one thing I don't know about with camera's, I've only ever used a single lens camera, haven't used an SLR with interchangeable lenses, but I'm sure with a little time and experience I could pick that up too.

Could be that as well. Honestly, I don't know. :lol I like personally how my shots are coming out now. I would also like to get a different lens down the road but those things are exspensive, and I really need to spend my money on collectibles. :rotfl

Back