Media xxxxx

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Physical or Digital?

• Physical

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Digital

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Both

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Re: Physical or Digital?

I like to have the box and physical copy. You can also sell your physical copy.

Currently just physical copies--digital costs the same and you can't resell it. On PC though that's a different matter, I mostly try to get games on Steam, but if it's something I like a lot I'll get the physical copy instead. Plus--games that use Steam give you digital access on Steam if you buy the physical game.

Physical, sort of. Not for PC unless it's DRM-free (which almost nothing is nowadays), because basically its pointless if it's a steam or otherwise DRM service game.

Physical. Until I get slam-dunk assurances that I will forever have access to digital content that I purchased, I will always go physical unless there is no choice.

Physical.

Love having the ability to reload old games and play them at will.

Rather than hoping the service is still up.

I have nice collection of old PC games, all in the those big art boxes.
Love me full big box Command and Conquer collection.

I even busted out a few oldies over the past year to replay them.

WORST THING IS...buying a physical copy, only for the cd to tell you to download something.
Titanfall did that to me. Popped in the disc and it linked me to a site to download the client.

There's very few PC games that don't use some type of service, only game I can think of is Witcher 3 upcoming, everything else either uses Steam, Origin, or uPlay

I always choose physical. I still buy CDs if I want an entire album, but will buy individual songs through
download. But then I will still burn them to a CD.
Ryan

Digital

If the game goes on clearance Ill re-buy the physical copy just in case something happens to my PSN account, but I find it much more practical to have a digital copy on the menu as opposed to swapping discs and running the disc of wearing out the blu-ray laser. Granted even with the physical disc - data is transferred onto hard drive. But since we are in the age of digital and added content is continually evolving - I figure it makes more sense to add what I want when I want it if I choose to. Also PlayStation Plus membership is pretty awesome when it comes to discounts.

I bought physical copies of Lego Marvel, Injustice, and Metal Gear Ground Zero

I ended up re-buying the digital copies for $6 / free with membership / and $6
by virtue of the PlayStation Plus Membership

Also games like Rayman Legends, Guilty Gear X were drastically discounted almost 60-75% off from physical copies.

Most of the time I don't get around to playing my games - so it makes sense to wait a bit.

Physical with digital download. I never use the disc... just like to have the copy.

Every PC game has a CD Key/code nowadays anyways, physical copy or not.

Physical. I don't want to be FORCED into to doing everything over the internet. I won't buy movies or music if digital becomes the ONLY option. I like digital as a companion, but I'll never abandon physical.

I love physical, the box, the artbooks, the case. Its having real world representation of the things you love. However i love the convenience of having all the games in one place just a click of a button away!

Games now install everything from the disk anyway, so why not let us have both? Buy the disk with a one time download code maybe.

Physical, I like having the actual copy to pop in and out, it's nice for show. Some digital copies of games tend to have issues the physical copies don't as well. Not having to worry about hard drive space is great too. But digital is more convenient since you can just turn on the game.

Physical. And honestly, it's because of price and I'm particularly speaking about Nintendo. It makes no sense, IMO, to sell digital and physical for the SAME price, especially when I can sell the physical I buy and get 1/4 - 1/2 of my money back. I'm all for digital, but not when prices are the same.

Digital prices won't change until digital sales go up a lot--otherwise places like Gamestop can force them to keep the prices the same. If it weren't for them worrying about losing physical sales they would be able to drop the price by like $10 for digital and they would still make more money than selling through places like Gamestop.

Physical for consoles, but mostly digital for PC games. Steam had the biggest impact on my PC gaming...just can't argue with their sales. Plus, I've been running into difficulty with older games no longer wanting to play (or even install) on newer systems, leading me to re-buy some games from Steam, GOG, etc just in order to play them.

I do think Steam is going in the right direction in terms of helping transition to digital.

It was nice when I built my new computer, downloaded the Steam client and bam, everything I purchased there and waiting for me.

I think the better question might be to ask if consoles still will have relevancy in 5 years. If I can go from computer to computer with Steam, why can't Sony, MS and Nintendo let me take forward my previous generation purchases?

I do think Steam is going in the right direction in terms of helping transition to digital.

It was nice when I built my new computer, downloaded the Steam client and bam, everything I purchased there and waiting for me.

I think the better question might be to ask if consoles still will have relevancy in 5 years. If I can go from computer to computer with Steam, why can't Sony, MS and Nintendo let me take forward my previous generation purchases?

You can also keep your steam installations backed up and just paste them into the new Steam folder and then you won't have to download them again.

As far as consoles go, when they make a new console they have a new architecture and OS, they would have to use emulation for the old games to work. If they did it like Windows then they would have the problem of being limited by old stuff for compatibility reasons which could mean a lack of certain new features, or making the console less secure or perform poorly.

Back