[XM Studios] Phoenix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the base is a scrapped Sentinel :O

a325.jpg

Wow, no ones done that before...LOL

Apparently the base is a scrapped Sentinel :O

a325.jpg

It's been a while but I absolutely love the issues of UXM with Phoenix in them (issue 98 started the story where she became the Phoenix, up until her death in issue 137). Not every issue is great, but as a long form story it's my favorite run in comics, and y'all know I love my comics.

But I'm seriously trying to remember if Phoenix fought any Sentinels at all... Jean was kidnapped by them in the story where she became the Phoenix, but I don't think Phoenix actually fought any Sentinels.

I think this base is a bad choice.

Base of that would be a cool idea, but continuity would say that's stupid.

I'd like her maybe on a cosmic wave, or like a meteor or something.

I like the GH and KH for their bases, giving it something mixed with their respectable environment, and I think that would awesome, not just flames or a solid ugly base.

Wolverine is standing on a broken sentinel as well. They're are just trying to have some uniformity for the bases. Its ten times better then a giant X. I think its a great idea for the xmen releases. Maybe Jean had a fight with a sentinel and didn't tell anyone about it

Wolverine is standing on a broken sentinel as well. They're are just trying to have some uniformity for the bases. Its ten times better then a giant X. I think its a great idea for the xmen releases. Maybe Jean had a fight with a sentinel and didn't tell anyone about it

I hear you James but not ALL of the X-bases need to be the same. Bowen kinda started all of this with Cable, followed by Banshee, Bishop, and Magneto. I like different styled bases and environments that accentuate the character. I think SSC did a great job of showing us this with their JLA characters. The Bases on Bats, Supes, WW, and GL don't come close to matching. However, each base is a great representation of the environment these characters usually find themselves in. For me, they work great together and as stand alone pieces. I hope XM doesn't over do it with Sentinel wreckage bases. IMO, it kinda loses its luster if it's overdone all the time.

Last edited:
I hear you James but not ALL of the X-bases need to be the same. Bowen kinda started all of this with Cable, followed by Banshee, Bishop, and Magneto. I like different styled bases and environments that accentuate the character. I think SSC did a great job of showing us this with their JLA characters. The Bases on Bats, Supes, WW, and GL don't come close to matching. However, each base is a great representation of the environment these characters usually find themselves in. For me, they work great together and as stand alone pieces. I hope XM doesn't over do it with Sentinel wreckage bases. IMO, it kinda loses its luster if it's over all the time.

Yes they do.

I hear you James but not ALL of the X-bases need to be the same. Bowen kinda started all of this with Cable, followed by Banshee, Bishop, and Magneto. I like different styled bases and environments that accentuate the character. I think SSC did a great job of showing us this with their JLA characters. The Bases on Bats, Supes, WW, and GL don't come close to matching. However, each base is a great representation of the environment these characters usually find themselves in. For me, they work great together and as stand alone pieces. I hope XM doesn't over do it with Sentinel wreckage bases. IMO, it kinda loses its luster if it's over all the time.

I got to disagree, I think Supes, Batman and WW bases will clash together... sure they look fine by themselves and as long as you put enough space between all 3, but if you bunch them up to look like a group the mismatching bases will stick out like a sore thumb.. I prefer consistency with the bases when they do groups so they all blend in together... IMO, XM is on the right track.

Yeah, just not feeling a Sentinel base with this piece. It just doesn't mix for me because I don't ever remember Phoenix battling any Sentinels. I'll wait until the final reveal before I make any judgments about the piece.

Did you ever think to consider that the Xmen are fighting as a team in the Danger Room and that all the bases are going to be able to be put together (if you have the room) to create a Danger Room diorama?

These are some things I don't think people behind the scenes think about. Now it may not be a Danger Room scene, but it might be. Who knows? The main thing that is most important is, does the base work with the statue? In Phoenix's case, yes, it absolutely does. Could XM do a different base that doesn't involve Sentinels? Absolutely.....but once again, there might just be a method to their madness...so to speak.

Either way, the base works for this statue. I would expect the Dark Phoenix to have an entirely different base. I personally would love to see a huge fiery phoenix base that engulfs the actual Dark Phoenix herself...like that Hero Clix miniature figure. Yes, it may be cliché....but it works...and it works well because that is one of the characteristics you know about Dark Phoenix.

While the base is not necessarily my first choice I'll leave it to XM to work out. They have shown a willingness to swap out parts and make changes to allow for alternative display options. That may well be the case here. I'm more interested in seeing the face reveal at this point and if there will be a Dark variant. Moreover I'm curious to know if XM has a broader plan for the X-Men. My #1 want after Phoenix would be Cyclops. Sentinel bases may be starting to get a bit overdone (SS diorama, Bowen and Kotobukiya's Danger Room series) but these will be 1:4.

Did you ever think to consider that the Xmen are fighting as a team in the Danger Room and that all the bases are going to be able to be put together (if you have the room) to create a Danger Room diorama?

These are some things I don't think people behind the scenes think about. Now it may not be a Danger Room scene, but it might be. Who knows? The main thing that is most important is, does the base work with the statue? In Phoenix's case, yes, it absolutely does. Could XM do a different base that doesn't involve Sentinels? Absolutely.....but once again, there might just be a method to their madness...so to speak.

Either way, the base works for this statue. I would expect the Dark Phoenix to have an entirely different base. I personally would love to see a huge fiery phoenix base that engulfs the actual Dark Phoenix herself...like that Hero Clix miniature figure. Yes, it may be cliché....but it works...and it works well because that is one of the characteristics you know about Dark Phoenix.

I'm glad the base is to your liking loric. I'm just not feeling it. If she looks positively FANTASTIC I may be able to overlook it. Otherwise, it won't work for me. But hey, that's fine. I'm sure they'll have plenty of peeps picking this up. At this point in time...I'm just dialed in on Magneto anyway.

I'm glad the base is to your liking loric. I'm just not feeling it. If she looks positively FANTASTIC I may be able to overlook it. Otherwise, it won't work for me. But hey, that's fine. I'm sure they'll have plenty of peeps picking this up. At this point in time...I'm just dialed in on Magneto anyway.

If I made bases that high of a priority in weather or not I buy a statue, I would never own any of SS statues :)

If I made bases that high of a priority in weather or not I buy a statue, I would never own any of SS statues :)

SSC has some great bases. Some...not so much. While a figure is the most important thing, a great base puts a piece over the top. A bad one, can drag it down. For example, are peeps gonna say that the XM Mags would look just as good if he was sitting in a chair? Does anyone else besides me wish the new SSC Doom PF came with its original sneaked base instead of the toilet he's standing on? Bases matter. At least to me they do. And Phoenix battling Sentinels makes no sense to me. Again, if she looks FANTASTIC, I can probably over look it. If there's anything off about the figure...I can't. I'm not trying to offend peeps that like the base. I just don't care for it.

Just from a story standpoint, Phoenix wouldn't have been in a Danger Room scenario like that because the Hologram/Hard Light version of the Danger Room didn't exist yet in the comics. That technology hadn't yet been acquired from the Shi'Ar... As a matter of fact, the X-Men were just meeting the Shi'Ar shortly after Jean became the Phoenix. They didn't get the DR upgrade until much later.

Sentinels are just something that wasn't prominent during Phoenix's time. If it works as a statue for some, it is what it is. I'm just a comic fan so so something like that just really stands out to me is all. I'm sure everyone has those "they changed from the source material" moments about something... A comic fan has PLENTY of those types of moments.

And for the record I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, you like what you like and this base is the deal whether I like it or not. This base wouldn't keep me from buying it if I had plans to do so. It's just historically inaccurate if following continuity, which most statue collectors probably aren't going to care about anyway.

This is amazing. This XM company might grow quick if they keep up this incredible work. Can't wait to see final product

Damn! When this company come up? These looks amazing! The back Phoenix is the best back ground for this character. In my opinion much better than the SS comiquette pics shown before.

Pretty sure this will turn out nice. What's the chance of XM doin 2 base :panic:

Back