[XM Studios] Phoenix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But while we are Dreaming of Phoenix/Dark Phoenix, I do have a suggestion, make the base out of the Flames of the Phoenix, rising up into the Flaming Bird and have a fully sculpted Dark Phoenix hovering in front of it, being held up by a portion of the flame that attaches to a spot in her back and held in place by a Very Strong Magnet.

use these as inspiration

406px-JeanGrey442.jpg

yfJsTsI_zpsf82b085c.jpg

Be Cool
Al

P.S. make the sash out of cloth and poseible like the Psylocke PF

P.S. make the sash out of cloth and poseible like the Psylocke PF

NO CLOTH! Keep ALL XM pieces fully sculpted. That's one of the things I LOVE about XM and I don't want to even see them start down the cloth road. Like...NEVER!

If this ends up being a horse race between SS and XM I think the collector wins. Both companies are going to have to work to make a definitive version of the character because even a 100-buyer swing one way or the other is somewhere in the neighborhood of $40K-$60K+ in sales--not to mention the folks who will want their regular and dark versions to be cut from the same creative DNA, so you could possibly double that number.

SS dropped the ball in cancelling the last piece or whatever happened, which has given XM the opening to step in. If SS does announce something it better be more than one of their black and white quick concept sketches at the head end of a video or a piece of existing reference art (a la Hughes Mara Jade) that never see the light of day. And yet there are three Vampirellas, probably because the license is comparatively cheaper. There had better be some pretty tight concept art or WIPs to get me to bite.

By the same token, I haven't heard XM confirm a Dark version unless I've missed something.

My plan is to pick one version and stick with it -- the company that does the nicest looking sculpt in the best pose and offers regular and dark.

NO CLOTH! Keep ALL XM pieces fully sculpted. That's one of the things I LOVE about XM and I don't want to even see them start down the cloth road. Like...NEVER!

But I do want Fully Sculpted, the only cloth I want would be a poseible sash but it's not a deal breaker if it is not my Friend

Be Cool Flip
Al

If this ends up being a horse race between SS and XM I think the collector wins. Both companies are going to have to work to make a definitive version of the character because even a 100-buyer swing one way or the other is somewhere in the neighborhood of $40K-$60K+ in sales--not to mention the folks who will want their regular and dark versions to be cut from the same creative DNA, so you could possibly double that number.

SS dropped the ball in cancelling the last piece or whatever happened, which has given XM the opening to step in. If SS does announce something it better be more than one of their black and white quick concept sketches at the head end of a video or a piece of existing reference art (a la Hughes Mara Jade) that never see the light of day. And yet there are three Vampirellas, probably because the license is comparatively cheaper. There had better be some pretty tight concept art or WIPs to get me to bite.

By the same token, I haven't heard XM confirm a Dark version unless I've missed something.

My plan is to pick one version and stick with it -- the company that does the nicest looking sculpt in the best pose and offers regular and dark.

Interesting comments and a Good Read to make one think, as of right now XM is giving the Fans what they want and building a client list which I am a member of, they are taking statues to a New Level and if SS isn't careful they are going to miss-out on some highly sought after Marvel Pieces, Magneto, Capt. Black Widow and Phoenix just to name a few and more Impressive than the other and as of right now I haven't seen any really boring or stupid poses, like Reeves Superman or pony tail Jean Grey, WTF, so in ending I think XM is on the right track and collectors win + SSC needs Competition

Be Cool
Al

I think SS has been phoning it in on several of these releases as of late, while nailing others. Sure they've got the cushion of a price/shipping advantage with European North American buyers, but that will only go so far. This could be a real wake-up call for them at least as far as the Marvel license goes. SS has already made their money on Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Thor and Classic Cap, so the XM pieces are less of a competitive issue except in terms of overall aggregate collecting dollars. They were also pretty far into their Black Widow and Hulk preorder cycle before the XMs became a factor. The head to head releases and the characters where XM is getting a jump (such as Magneto and Phoenix) are where the battle lines are going to be drawn. I don't know if SS has either of these characters up their sleeve, and I can't imagine them doing a more impressive Magneto. But let's say XM ends up moving 500-750 Mags. Will Sideshow take the risk of making their own, knowing that there are likely going to be a sizeable chunk of buyers who won't be interested in plunking another $400-$500 for another version? The same goes for Phoenix and Iron Man. SS hasn't had to deal with that question in the past. They only had to worry about the annoying unlicensed pieces, and stepping on that air hose with C&D letters. That ain't gonna work this time. I wouldn't call this a game changer yet by a long shot, but as XM lines up more distributors, gets quality product out into the marketplace, builds a following and announces more pieces, it will no doubt make an impact on what we see from SS--everything from character choice, to execution to ES.

I'm definitely happy to see a new player in the sandbox. I hope it translates into more character choices, better sculpts and better quality control.

I think SS has been phoning it in on several of these releases as of late, while nailing others. Sure they've got the cushion of a price/shipping advantage with European North American buyers, but that will only go so far. This could be a real wake-up call for them at least as far as the Marvel license goes. SS has already made their money on Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Thor and Classic Cap, so the XM pieces are less of a competitive issue except in terms of overall aggregate collecting dollars. They were also pretty far into their Black Widow and Hulk preorder cycle before the XMs became a factor. The head to head releases and the characters where XM is getting a jump (such as Magneto and Phoenix) are where the battle lines are going to be drawn. I don't know if SS has either of these characters up their sleeve, and I can't imagine them doing a more impressive Magneto. But let's say XM ends up moving 500-750 Mags. Will Sideshow take the risk of making their own, knowing that there are likely going to be a sizeable chunk of buyers who won't be interested in plunking another $400-$500 for another version? The same goes for Phoenix and Iron Man. SS hasn't had to deal with that question in the past. They only had to worry about the annoying unlicensed pieces, and stepping on that air hose with C&D letters. That ain't gonna work this time. I wouldn't call this a game changer yet by a long shot, but as XM lines up more distributors, gets quality product out into the marketplace, builds a following and announces more pieces, it will no doubt make an impact on what we see from SS--everything from character choice, to execution to ES.

I'm definitely happy to see a new player in the sandbox. I hope it translates into more character choices, better sculpts and better quality control.

I hope it translates into the implementation of a new dedicated 1/4 fully sculpted sideshow line (along with your other points).

Very insightful and well thought out points. You've got me scratching my head with the possibilities. Great post Nexus

@Filip

Totally with you on the fully sculpted aspect. Leave it be please. Like you've stated before I would really like to see SS end up with a fully sculpted line of their own

@Al

Love the pic you put up buddy. I would love to see some of those concepts incorporated into statue form

I doubt SS has to much to worry about, I'm sure a big percentage of their customer base only buys Star Wars and/or DC, so I doubt they have lost that many customers to XM... I would guess that Marvel only probably makes up maybe 20% of SS Customer base and out of their Marvel customer base, I'm guessing they will probably ending up losing maybe 20%-30% of them to XM, with the other 70%-80% not willing to pay the higher price or prefer Mix Media... so like I said I don't think SS has anything to worry about

That said, I'm just glad I have an option to buy pure sculpted statues with a low ES and killer pose... :)

Itd be cool to use my SSC points for an XM gift card....
:rotfl
I doubt SS has to much to worry about, I'm sure a big percentage of their customer base only buys Star Wars and/or DC, so I doubt they have lost that many customers to XM... I would guess that Marvel only probably makes up maybe 20% of SS Customer base and out of their Marvel customer base, I'm guessing they will probably ending up losing maybe 20%-30% of them to XM, with the other 70%-80% not willing to pay the higher price or prefer Mix Media... so like I said I don't think SS has anything to worry about

That said, I'm just glad I have an option to buy pure sculpted statues with a low ES and killer pose... :)

Considering how many Marvel pieces they've previewed and are releasing this year, I'm guessing the customer base is closer to %50. 6 Hulks and 7 Iron Man statues have been already been previewed and/or put up for pre orders with more to come.

:rotfl

Considering how many Marvel pieces they've previewed and are releasing this year, I'm guessing the customer base is closer to %50. 6 Hulks and 7 Iron Man statues have been already been previewed and/or put up for pre orders with more to come.

I agree. I think marvel probably is 40%, dc 35%, starwars 25%. 1/4 scale only anyways.

I agree. I think marvel probably is 40%, dc 35%, starwars 25%. 1/4 scale only anyways.

Hmmm you guys might be right, I wasn't thinking about their latest flood of Hulks and Iron Mans... It still feels they have a very narrow field of characters for Marvel... basically Hulks and Iron Mans :)

Hmmm you guys might be right, I wasn't thinking about their latest flood of Hulks and Iron Mans... It still feels they have a very narrow field of characters for Marvel... basically Hulks and Iron Mans :)

Yeah. I think they pump out what sells.

Agreed, SSAlex said SW/Predator/Alien/Lotr is considered a small line. So Marvel/DC has to be a 40/30 percentage and then throw in the other licenses to make up the rest.

Back