XM Studios Blackbolt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get the base? It's so busy.

I find it perfect, and I usually hate busy bases. This one flows perfectly with the character and once the statue is painted, the contrast between BB's costume and the base will look great. BTW, it's inspired by the famous War of Kings cover, the broken Vulcan statue was replaced by a generic atlantean or Kree statue.

I find it perfect, and I usually hate busy bases. This one flows perfectly with the character and once the statue is painted, the contrast between BB's costume and the base will look great. BTW, it's inspired by the famous War of Kings cover, the broken Vulcan statue was replaced by a generic atlantean or Kree statue.

Thanks for the info. Great point on the contrast of black and beige/yellow/sand color of statue. Can you post a pic of the comic cover?

Maybe this one:

brandon-peterson-war-of-kings-no-4-cover-black-bolt.jpg

Thanks for the info. Great point on the contrast of black and beige/yellow/sand color of statue. Can you post a pic of the comic cover?

Maybe this one:

brandon-peterson-war-of-kings-no-4-cover-black-bolt.jpg

Yup, that one. I recall the original BB concept art had a similar Vulcan broken statue (scaled down, of course), but the 3D render had it already replaced with a generic soldier statue, not sure if it had something to do with Marvel approval.
I like that this Black Bolt has two very different display options, one with the angry portrait and closed fists, like he's lifting on the ground and releasing his power; the other with the calm head staring down, like he's descending in the same "messiah pose" he has in the comic cover.
Only thing I don't really like is the sceptre, it's quite ugly looking, I'll never take it out the box.
About the broken statue in the background, it would be great either of that beige/sand/marble color OR with an oxidized bronze finish, like a true ruined classic statue.
It would blend a little more with Black Bolt's colors, but the bronze finish is awesome to look at (check HMO's 1:2 Medusa bust):

spartan-helmet-oxidized-bronze-24-cm.jpg

When I went to Greece I bought a bronzed finish Spartan helmet just like the above :yess: I agree that would really make BB pop more. Would be awesome.

But bronze wouldn't break or crumble like the current base have it.

But bronze wouldn't break or crumble like the current base have it.

Hmm as far as I can tell the statue itself has clean breaks, and bronze breaks that way. The surrounding wall/stone yes, you're right, that would definitely not be bronze.

Back