X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, I never saw those. But the versions I saw, sucked like hell.

I do want to check out both someday.

Yeah, but Blade really started the train today. Without it, The Avengers wouldn't exist. Thanks Blade. :rock/

Blade was pretty good. It proved super hero movies could work, but they still dumbed it down a little. Almost struck gold, but not quite.
Still, best super hero movie at that point

X-men capitalized on that as a springboard. It struck gold, and so did spider man.
Hulk nearly killed it,
Iron man was when they struck diamonds.

It's probably a matter of preference, but the start sequence of X2 was awesome imho. Although it has potential, DOFP will be a challenging tale to bring on screen. I'm surprised they are going to attempt it. It will be interesting to see who they cast for the future gen characters and whether they can tie the disjointed Summers story together with the difference in ages of Alex and Scott. We may finally see some longer sequences of Sentinels on screen as well.

Blade1/FF1/DD > X1/X2

:chase

Whoa there! Okay then tell me specifically what scene from Daredevil was better than the open sequence of X2 with Nightcrawler?

I do believe you are the first one to suggest DD is better than X1/X2! :horror

Why on earth would anyone wanna do that?

I know, right? They could just re-read their comics from 1983 a thousand more times and pretend there will never be anything better ever. Stagnation is good, and you can always excuse it by writing off the modern era as ADD grist, or a surrogate for poor parenting, or any other cliched and not particularly well-thought out attempt at explaining away all those things that show your age.

Blade1/FF1/DD > X1/X2

:chase

67217.jpg

I know, right? They could just re-read their comics from 1983 a thousand more times and pretend there will never be anything better ever. Stagnation is good, and you can always excuse it by writing off the modern era as ADD grist, or a surrogate for poor parenting, or any other cliched and not particularly well-thought out attempt at explaining away all those things that show your age.
The problem is that modern comics are stagnant and creatively bankrupt. The comics from the late 70s and early 80s were damn good at the time, and keep looking better and better in retrospect as modern comic creators keep making things worse with one "things will never be the same!" crappy crossover after the next, inevitably initiated and punctuated by a "shocking" death of a beloved character or two (see Uncanny Avengers for the most recent example).

Sure, there are exceptions (particularly in the Indie comic world, but also with mainstream work by guys like Brubaker and Geoff Johns), but in general comics have been in the crapper for a good long time now. I think the problem is that with the expanded range of acceptability in modern comics (where controversial sex, murder, and everything in-between has become pretty common), folks have forgotten how to be genuinely creative as they were from the 60s through the 80s at Marvel. Not a coincidence that we only have a small handful of great, memorable characters still going that were created after the mid-80s or so.

It's probably a matter of preference, but the start sequence of X2 was awesome imho. Although it has potential, DOFP will be a challenging tale to bring on screen. I'm surprised they are going to attempt it. It will be interesting to see who they cast for the future gen characters and whether they can tie the disjointed Summers story together with the difference in ages of Alex and Scott. We may finally see some longer sequences of Sentinels on screen as well.

Sentinels FTW

The problem is that modern comics are stagnant and creatively bankrupt.

How could you know that if you don't read them. I won't deny there is cheap stunts these days but underneath those are good stories if you care to get involved

Back