X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Matthew Vaughn, Not Steven Speilberg.:dunno

True, but Singer ain't Spielberg, either.

For my money, Vaughn's body of work (director-wise) is better than Singer's:

Vaughn:

Layer Cake
Stardust
Kick Ass
X-Men: First Class

Singer:

The Usual Suspects
Apt Pupil
X-Men
X2
Superman Returns
Valkyrie

I've only listed the movies I've seen from both directors. All four of Vaughn's films are really enjoyable to me, but for Singer, only The Usual Suspects and X2 stand out. X-Men was good at it's time, but doesn't hold up to the test of time for me.

I forgot that Vaughn also dropped out of directing Thor as well.

Singer hasn't signed up yet, right? We could still get a Ratner if Fox can't convince Singer to commit while he's still working on Jack the Giant Slayer.

Not Ratner himself, but some other similar B-list hack who is willing to work fast and cheap to meet a release date and with no investment in the franchise.

Not Ratner himself, but some other similar B-list hack who is willing to work fast and cheap to meet a release date and with no investment in the franchise.

Well they knew they screwed the pooch with X3 and didn't even expect XFC to do as well as it did, so repeating that again is just screwing themself over, they've got to know that.

BAD:

Matthew Vaughn is doing that Matthew Vaughn thing where he leaves a project. Sometimes, like with Thor, it sticks. Sometimes, like with X-Men: First Class, it doesn't.

The project he's left is X-Men: Days of Future Past, the sequel to the rebootquel. Fox has another lined up, though, and his name is familiar: Bryan Singer. Singer brought the X-Men into the film world with X-Men and X2 (a movie that defines 'not holding up') and who produced First Class. And who may have done some directorial work on that one as well, if the local scuttlebutt is any indication (it isn't always).

I'm not entirely sure Vaughn is well and truly off the movie; I'm sure his leaving comes partially from finishing up Kick-Ass 2: Balls to the Wall [EDIT: Which I am told he isn't directing. I just have been paying NO ATTENTION to this movie for some reason], and it might be a negotiating tactic. Which would be why Singer's name is out in the press so quickly, letting Vaughn know he's replaceable. Or maybe Singer's really directing it. I don't know - it's taken me 30 minutes to get this far into the article because it's so hard to give a real **** about this anymore.

I mean, we're all pretending that who directs this stuff makes a difference anymore? I'll always get excited when a good director gets attached to a project I'm excited about and sad when a bad one does, but it's hard to imagine why a Vaughn movie would be so radically different from a Singer movie. The decisions that will mold this movie are largely being made on a corporate level, and many of them have probably already been made. There's obviously room for a director to put a mark on it, to fight for casting or for a script choice but, in general, it's all predestined.

And I say this as a guy who really, really liked X-Men: First Class. It just all feels so futile some days.

Matthew Vaughn Will Not Direct X-Men: Days of Future Past

In a surprise move, X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn has elected not to helm the upcoming sequel, X-Men: Days of Future Past. Deadline is reporting that, among those being considered to replace him, is X-Men and X2's Bryan Singer, who also produced Vaughn's 2011 film.

Scheduled for release on July 18, 2014, X-Men: Days of Future Past boasts a script by Simon Kinberg and is said to be inspired Chris Claremont and John Byrne's comic book storyline that ran in Uncanny X-Men #141 and 142 back in 1981. "Days of Future Past" introduced the idea of an alternate future for Marvel's mutants that grew out of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants killing an important senator, leading to a future where all mutants are hunted by Sentinels.

Vaughn is rumored to instead move forward with his proposed feature film, The Secret Service, an original property that re-teams him with Kick-Ass creator Mark Millar. He will still maintain a creative connection, however, to X-Men: Days of Future Past, remaining aboard as a producer.

The news comes on the heels of this morning's reveal that the studio's upcoming The Wolverine will not be a prequel as originally suggested but will, instead, take place after Brett Ratner's X-Men: The Last Stand.

It's Matthew Vaughn, Not Steven Speilberg.:dunno
Well ****, just get Uwe Boll or Michael Bay in there to take over since director is so irrelevant.

And I do agree that Vaughn's track record is superior to Singer's (though I still think X2 was the best X-Men movie, it benefited from having so many characters I cared most about involved).

Who knows? Could be fore the better.
Possible. But if they thought Ratner was a good choice previously, and that the Barbershop guy made sense for Fantastic Four. . .let's say I'm not overly confident about Fox's ability to make the right choice here. Hopefully they will at least allow Singer to have input into the decision-making process.

The X-Men suck anyway, it doesn't matter which era.

I hope this movie is dark and close the source material, and I hope they all die by big ass Sentinels. Oh, besides Wolverine, he's cool.

Last edited:
All I'll ever need in the event this turns out to be crap.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzp7XVB-jQs[/ame]

image bypassing language filter

tumblr_m6963vFN8k1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The X-Men are the gayest superheroes ever and they're all bratty teenagers in these films.

And their leader is a cripple who cheats by reading other people's minds.

The only good one is the anti-hero with the claws and the guy that can shoot lasers out of his freakin' eyes (who is underused in all the films). The only interesting stories are when they face extinction from dudes that look like James Lipton or big ass robots (who aren't even featured in any of the films except a throwaway gag). There are 6 million X-Men movies and about 7 to 8 more planned and only 1 or 2 of them are redeemable.

All facts.

I dread seeing yet another film where a old bald mind guy plays chess with an old gay metal guy as well as pointless blink and you missed em cameos. That and magical lasers and nonsensical powers being regurgitated on the screen.

Oh and First Class if for hipster mutants.

Back