Wonder Woman gets a new costume and direction!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly think thats more of an issue with WW in general then with Simone

Oh I agree with you. I wasn't intending to make it seem like Simone was the problem, I was saying that DC itself doesn't respect the character to keep the continuity that the current writer has established even during a mini event nor include them because they figure people won't care.

Oh I agree with you. I wasn't intending to make it seem like Simone was the problem, I was saying that DC itself doesn't respect the character to keep the continuity that the current writer has established even during a mini event nor include them because they figure people won't care.

You know I was thinking more about what you mentioned, the fact that Simone wasn't in the loop for a storyline that involved her primary character she was writing and the more I think about it, it actually happens a lot even to the so called big guns, like Johns and Morrison.

I remember reading an interview with Morrison a few months after Final Crisis had ended and he mentioned that the maxi series Death of the New Gods by Starlin, really didn't mesh well with Final Crisis and they he wasn't in the loop for what was going on, so thats why nether story really meshed. I also remember Starlin saying he was disappointed by how he was treated editorially during that run and how his series made no sense once Final Crisis had been finished. It's too bad Starlin didn't stick around after the Hawkman/Thangarr mess, I always enjoyed his writing.

I guess is really comes down to a combination of a few things, editors not doing their jobs, writers maybe not paying attention and DC trying to weight continuity with a good story. It can be a big mess.

Evan

A friend of mine sent these to me, new costume design tweaks by WW fans (I wish the smaller one was bigger). If WW's costume change had been more like either of these two I would have been cool with the redesign...

WonderWoman2.jpg
WW2011.jpg

and a Youtube WW 600 Review Wonder Woman #600 Review

I saw this article at the CBR website Committed: Jim Lee's Lack of Wonder.​

As a designer, I love clothing. It is basically packaging for humans. Just like packaging, the function is two-fold; 1) Packaging gives a clear indication of what is inside, and 2) Packaging facilitates the use of whatever it contains. Extending this to clothing then, the primary function of any item of clothing is to convey something clear about the wearer to world, and then to create ease and efficacy of movement. In many ways a superhero costume (or more realistically, a uniform for work) must do this even more blatantly. People must be able to immediately recognize the job and stay out of the heroes way.
A pet peeve of mine is people who can use design software, and so they call themselves designers, (despite no experience or training in the field.) Even though I am able to cook, I would never call myself a chef. Similarly, just because a comic book artist is able to draw clothing, that does not make them stylists or fashion designers.

When was the last time a woman asked a geeky man to help her buy clothing (other than maybe some fetish wear)? Men have a tendency to take one glance at mall fashion in their teens, and never look again. Never was this more obvious than in comic books, and the new Wonder Woman costume has to be the pinnacle of this kind of folly. In comic books luckily men are rarely called upon to draw civilians, but when they do, men consistently draw women in clothing that would only have worked 10 or 20 years ago. Sadly, none of them think to employ the advice of stylists or designers.

Alexander McQueen and Vivienne Westwood have designed superheroic clothing that is 20 years ahead of it's time. For the first time in history, fashion is looking to comic books for inspiration, so why is Jim Lee throwing out everything that is so super about Wonder Woman's costume now? Let us dissect some of the most egregious errors that have been made here:

1. The Jacket:
At the moment, while fashion is pretty eclectic, I personally like the military influences and fitted jackets that are going on, they are neat and tailored while still showing a woman's waist. I have broad shoulders, so I'm always happy when clothes like that are in because I look better with well-tailored jackets instead of slouchy ones. What I'm not seeing anywhere are oversized cut-off bolero jackets. This is something that was briefly fashionable in the 1980's, and it only ever looked good on very thin women with no asses (hence the short-lived appeal. Wonder Woman is an Amazon warrior. As an Amazon, she's got a nice muscular ass (or I want to know why not) and she's not going to dress like a teenager from Flashdance.

2. Leggings:
Similarly, legging are currently so abused and so heinous a fashion crime, that even American Apparel (that bastion of irritating hipster-wear) have had to clearly label their leggings as tights, and not pants. Wonder Woman is timeless and godlike, not a trashy teen

3. Gloves:
In a similar militaristic influence as the fitted jackets, people have been wearing wrist wraps and cuffs as fashion accessories for a while now. Finally, after 70 years of being drastically unfashionable, why would Wonder Woman suddenly stop wearing them and move on to some glove-things which could inhibit wrist mobility? It's nonsensical. Wrist cuffs are finally a mainstream fashion accessory, so let's get rid of them? No, it's ridiculous.

4. Choker:
Chokers were kind of big in the early '90's, remember that? It was to sex up the fact that grunge for women was pretty hideous at times. How do you remind people that you're hot when you're generally wearing plaid shirts and jeans which are 4 sizes too big? Throw on a choker. I do sometimes still see them on underwear models, so that's probably where Lee got the idea.

As an emissary of the gods, a brave warrior sent to do battle in a foreign land, Wonder Woman comes from a race who cut off a breast to be better bowmen. No matter how this character is changed, she is not going to stop being an Amazon, so what is the thinking behind this feeble attempt to clothe her? I'm having a very hard time with Jim Lee's take on Wonder Woman's new costume.
As an art director, the idea of simply throwing away 70 years of strong brand recognition of this first lady of super powers is an absolute horror story. I am consoling myself with the idea that this is probably just a temporary marketing idea (and as despicable as I find that, it makes some sense.) Other characters have been through similar phases, for example Superman's blue period, or Spider-Man's black suit, but in both of those instances, they looked simply strange, otherworldly even, which made some sense in their universes. This low-rent anti-fashion statement cheapens the brand of Wonder Woman, and it's a brand which cannot take this kind of abuse.

I've always sort of liked Wonder Woman's ludicrously old school costume. The subtle tweaks that it's had over the years are perfectly acceptable to me (a higher leg on the pants, or hipster shorts, small changes to the bodice, etc), but it always remained essentially the same, and spoke volumes about her power. Most superhero costumes are revealing, after all, they're physically perfect (though even the Blob wears a form-fitting costume, so maybe it's not about the physique, but the job), whatever the reason, a lot of the most powerful heroes are practically naked. Complete nudity is almost always a sign of incredible power, for example the Silver Surfer and Doctor Manhattan do not wear clothing because they're all-powerful. By dint of the same logic, I like the fact that Wonder Woman shows some skin, it implies that she is so strong that she never even considered wearing restrictive, protective garments.

On the rare occasions that Wonder Woman dons her ceremonial white robes for royal functions and ambassadorial duties, or her battle armor in times of epic battle. She is aware that her simple, daily uniform only fulfills some functions and isn't appropriate for all situations. She's not crazy. But she also knows the power of a god-like legend, and doesn't work mess with it. The costume she has is like that of the emergency services, it is unchanging and functions to let people know what she is and what she does. Yes, it is a fantastical creation, and it is unrealistic. So are Amazons and superheroes. She is our link with Greek mythology, and her brash, obvious, American flag-inspired costume cements that bond. Drastically changing Wonder Woman's costume is absolutely criminal, and to do so to a geeky man's specifications is doubly criminal. She is a brand, and icon, and a hero.

And this one from Sci-Fi...​

Know who else isn't happy with Wonder Woman's new look? Gloria Steinem, the feminist icon who famously put the Amazonian on the cover of Ms. magazine back in 1972 with the tagline, "Wonder Woman for President."​

But looking at Wonder Woman today, she no longer feels the same way. She says that the reboot has come from "what seems to be the brainstorming of a very limited group of brains," according to the Associated Press.
<!-- Secondary Media Source BEGINS -->
<!-- /Secondary Media Source ENDS -->
Of the costume itself, she said that it now "gives us the idea that only pants can be powerful—tell that to Greek warriors and Sumo wrestlers." She added that, "in fact, they're so tight that they've just painted her legs blue; hardly a cover-up."​

It's the altered origin story that most bothers her, though. Rather than being raised on an island by her Amazon mother and sisters as per the background we all know, in the revised storyline, that island was destroyed when she was a baby, and she raised elsewhere.​

"It's an exact copy of Superman who came as a baby from the exploding planet Krypton," Steinem said. "This destroys her home, her Amazon mother and sisters, and gives her no place to go to gain strength and create an inspiring storyline."​

The first one is great. The second one is still wearing pants. The only other option I'd accept is a Greek style armored skirt. And you could design that to match her gauntlets, etc. But her backside would still have to be star-spangled under it. That's bedrock.

A friend of mine sent these to me, new costume design tweaks by WW fans (I wish the smaller one was bigger). If WW's costume change had been more like either of these two I would have been cool with the redesign...

WonderWoman2.jpg
WW2011.jpg

I prefer the first one, but I don't have a huge problem with the second outfit. IMHO both are much better than the current costume.

WonderWoman2.jpg
WW2011.jpg

I've seen about 1000 new designs over at CBR forums, I think my head may explode, its almost like the project rooftop, where they have a contest to redesign her outfit last year (think it was last year), so I've seen both that you posted. I really have little problem with the leggings, though the jacket is a bit much but Lee has already said its going to go sometime in the middle of the run as the costume gets refined. The one with the blue leggings and the stars looks way to much like Superman's color scheme and I don't want a Superwoman.

I'm not even going to get into Steinem's issue, she's a great person and has a good idea of femininst agenda's but she addmitted the other day she doesn't even read WW and had no idea she had two female writers in the past 3 years writing WW. So I take her stuff with a grain of salt.

Really all this stuff is just keeping WW in the news and I heard #600 has already sold out and is going back to print, which Superman nor Batman had done with their big anniversary issues (who knows what the print run was....) but I keep hearing from retailers that they are getting more interest in WW then they can remember. So for DC good or bad, getting folks talking is getting them interested.

Evan

That article was great. I didn't read the Steinem link, but I completely agree with what was quoted from it. No pants.

I want to amend what I was saying earlier. Her costume is pure sex. Pure as in total, and pure as in flawlessly clean. Wonder Woman can show it because she has absolutely nothing to hide. Physically or spiritually. Covering her speaks of shame, and that is no Greek virtue.

Pride is. Diana has abundant cause for it, and pride isn't something an Olympian warrior-princess hides.

While not a huge fan of Steinem I have agree that making Wonder Woman's origins the way they are is a huge cop out. Its unoriginal. Batman is a orphan. Superman is an orphan. Let's make Diana one too!

This will follow the New Coke marketing strategy. Interest wanes in the original, and a new version is created to change things up and drum up interest. A quick surge in popularity takes place. Soon, people realize that, while they had gotten bored with the original, they had formed such an attachment to it that anything new, no matter how "fresh" it may be, will be looked at as inferior and scorned thanks to the newfound nostalgia for the original. The company responds to "public demand" by bringing back the original version with much fanfare, which leads to even more interest than the revamp offered. DC profits, Wonder Woman is popular again, and all is right with the world.

This will follow the New Coke marketing strategy. Interest wanes in the original, and a new version is created to change things up and drum up interest. A quick surge in popularity takes place. Soon, people realize that, while they had gotten bored with the original, they had formed such an attachment to it that anything new, no matter how "fresh" it may be, will be looked at as inferior and scorned thanks to the newfound nostalgia for the original. The company responds to "public demand" by bringing back the original version with much fanfare, which leads to even more interest than the revamp offered. DC profits, Wonder Woman is popular again, and all is right with the world.

Sounds like a solid marketing ploy. :lol:lol:lol

At the end of the day and in retrospect, DC's costume change has worked in sparking interest in the character and I'm really happy for the character. I mean, when was the last time Wonder Woman had a thread dedicated to her? :lol

:lol True and I agree with you, IC! :lol

Like I've said all along, it's an publicity stunt...and it's working very well. :D

Interesting....

wonder%20whedon.jpg

Remember when Joss Whedon was hired to direct a live-action Wonder Woman for Warner Bros., only to have the project somehow canceled by Fox even though they had no involvement whatsoever? Geek Tyrant somehow dug up some concept art by Whedon's go-to costume designer Shawna Trpcic of potential WW movie outfits, and, well, see for yourself.

A few things: 1) These may be fake, but I think they raise some interesting points anyways, so let's roll with it; 2) Don't waste everyone's time by saying the drawings suck; Trpcic's not Darwyn Cooke, she's a fashion designer, so knocking her art is stupid. Focus on the outfits.

I think the trenchcoat is just as dated as the jacket DC just gave her in her redesign, so we can throw that out. I think the miniskirt in the far left pic is actually fine if not radically different from her normal costume. But I actually think the pants on the far right look pretty awesome; if she ditched the belly shirt and used the more regular top from the pic on the far left, I think we'd have a winner. But what startles me is actually how close that would be to WW's new design.

No, I haven't suddenly waffled on disliking Wonder Woman's new duds. The jacket is obviously the main part of the problem. But I'd say that Trpcic's pants/top combo are superior because they're more superheroic, while WW's new comic duds make her look more like a streetfighter, or Black Canary. She doesn't look like an Amazon or goddess in leggings and some American Apparel top, and Trpcic's combo seems less like clothes and more like... well, like a superhero outfit. Plus, and this may just be me, but what little I know of Diana's Greek myth/warrior background, I just think she'd want to wear pants -- not a dress, not a skirt, and not a one-piece swimsuit. What do you guys think?

I really gotta disagree with everyone saying that WW's old costume is nothing but fanboy sex appeal and that giving her pants or a more covered up outfit better justifies a superhero.

Honestly, one of Wonder Womans defining features is her costume, and not just because of how much skin it shows off or how curvaceous it makes her. It represents a ridiculous side to her, and her cultures, mentality that only a man would look at her with lust or attraction in such a uniform. It's what gives her a fallibility and gives her something to struggle with while living in a new world away from Amazonia.

I just don't get why these fashion analysists can only see the clothing and not the social commentary

I really gotta disagree with everyone saying that WW's old costume is nothing but fanboy sex appeal and that giving her pants or a more covered up outfit better justifies a superhero.

Honestly, one of Wonder Womans defining features is her costume, and not just because of how much skin it shows off or how curvaceous it makes her. It represents a ridiculous side to her, and her cultures, mentality that only a man would look at her with lust or attraction in such a uniform. It's what gives her a fallibility and gives her something to struggle with while living in a new world away from Amazonia.

I just don't get why these fashion analysists can only see the clothing and not the social commentary

:goodpost:

I saw WW as an Amazon Warrior and her costume as part of being that warrior but not from the POV you mentioned, good post!

Back