Will Sideshow's Marvel line eventually decline???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronLungs31

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't think the current comic book trend will continue it's upswing. The movies will slow down and comic con attendance will drop. At some point there will be an average Joe backlash.

I think we're currently at the peak of comic books broad acceptance and we will eventually see a dip. If that's true that will probably carry over to statues.

This is a intresting thread that Modus started over at SF, so I decided to bring the thread here.

I personally, can't see that happening anytime soon considering they are just now starting to make the movies of our childhood SUPER HEROS. Just like Kid Titan said over at SF..."there's a kid at heart" in all of us. And as long as lives in us, I can't see it going anywhere in the near future. I mean marvel comics have made it this far over a 60 or 70 years, so I believe we are still scratching at the surface of all things Marvel.

SSC haven't even touch the surface of the Marvel lineup. There is just too many heavy "A" & "B" list characters not even released yet. SSC knows what they are doing. They are not like Bowen who saturated the market with the same characters.

One of the main reasons i collect sideshow marvel outside of the fact that i love the characters and designs is the fact that i believe it will have an extremely long very fun run. Far too much greatness left to be revealed, so in short nope its not gonna die ;)

I really gotta keep an eye on what I order now. It seems like this hobby can get out of control rather easily. Theres so many Marvel characters that I absolutely adore. I really hope they dont re-do the same characters in better poses / scale. Storm (both comiquette and pf), Shadowcat, X-23 PF (first appearance hopefully), Scarlet Witch PF, Quicksilver PF, Magneto PF. Jublilee PF, Archangel PF, Cyclops Astonishing Comiquette, Jean Grey PF, Phoenix Comiquette, Cable Deadpool, Winter Soldier, Iron Patriot, and Moon Knight, maybe Iron Fist. I think my collection would get out of hand quite quickly but those are the ones that would interest me the most... and a 1/4 Scale Colossus, Beast, Nightcrawler... and Dazzler... *phew*

SSC haven't even touch the surface of the Marvel lineup. There is just too many heavy "A" & "B" list characters not even released yet. SSC knows what they are doing. They are not like Bowen who saturated the market with the same characters.

:lecture

Pretty much agree on the whole, but believe there's room for Sideshow to do multiples of characters --though definitely not to the extent of what Bowen does. It's the triple A list characters that keep me reading marvel comics, and it's going to be the same characters that primarily keep me collecting SS.

I think high end collecting is way too left field and way too expensive to be driven by the comic book mainstream acceptance seen today. The average Joe can happily spend $12 and enjoy "Iron Man" in the movies, but they'll think you're absolutely bat ____ crazy for spend $200 on a statue or action figure, hence high end collecting never shared the same kind of mainstream acceptance that the movies do in the first place. Sure, the movies exposure may somehow introduce you to the whole high end collecting thing, but to actually spend this kind of money and the space to start a collection, that is asking for a really high dedication that the average person is just not willing to give, even if he may be a huge fan of the movies. What that means is that the mainstream fad fading won't have that big of an impact in the collection world since you're really talking about two different groups of people here.

Just look at the old school Terminator and Predator; these can very well be considered "outdated" franchises from the mainstream perspective, yet they are going really strong in the collecting world and are among some of the most sought after stuff out there, just proves there is little correlation between what true collectors want and what the mainstream fad deems acceptable. The way I see it, once something becomes a Pop Icon, it becomes timeless and can never be undone. And as long as there are people who are interested in collecting pop icons, Marvel stuff will do just fine after the movie rage fades away.

Last edited:
I think the level of excitement we're seeing over comic/super hero movies is going to wane. Movies come and go in trends imo and this is one. Kinda like when disaster movies were all the rage.

I also don't think that it will cause a dip in collectibles. Alot of Sideshow's stuff is based on the comics themselves and not the movies. I think it is safe to say that Sideshow's fanbase comes from those who enjoy the comics as much, if not moreso, than the movies. Comics have been going strong for a long time; I don't see a reason for Sideshow's Marvel line to not do the same.

Even if comic popularity does decline with the general public the fans (if that's what they truly are) will still be around to buy the statues.

I'm pretty sure the majority of people who buy the statues are long time fans anyway with only a minority being that of the general public who picked up a statue because the movie was cool.

I'm pretty sure the majority of people who buy the statues are long time fans anyway with only a minority being that of the general public who picked up a statue because the movie was cool.

Not sure about that one. Lots of people here have and will continue to buy statues and products which they really dig on an atheistic level, but are not too familiar with the subject matter. Nothing wrong with it though... if you like being a poser :nana:

The only way it will decline is if they keep releasing products like Sabertooth PF.

Marvel in general will keep on going. Eventually, another company will take over where Sideshow is at right now, maybe in 5 years. A company that actually listens to what fans wants.

The only way it will decline is if they keep releasing products like Sabertooth PF.

Marvel in general will keep on going. Eventually, another company will take over where Sideshow is at right now, maybe in 5 years. A company that actually listens to what fans wants.

Can't wait until another company comes along and knocks SSC off its high horse pedestal. I would be one of the first person(s) to drop SSC altogether.

I will have to disagree with you on the Sabretooth PF. That is probably my favorite PF to date, and I have the Doom PF as well.

I am really dissapointed with the Sabertooth PF. To this day, I would say the best representation of Sabertooth would have to go to Koto Sabertooth.

Trust me, if Sideshow keeps it up with their lousy poses their garage will be packed.

yummy!
13657-550x-SabertoothNWolverineHeader.jpg

dont get me wrong, the sculpt is fantastic but i prefer my sabertooth bulky and maniacal. Ill see what Sideshow comes out with for sabertooth comiquette tho.

Can't wait until another company comes along and knocks SSC off its high horse pedestal. I would be one of the first person(s) to drop SSC altogether.

Why don't you like high horses or pedestals?

WWII saw a major surge in comic book popularity. I expect the next one to be the same. If the economy doesn't implode completely, high end collectible sales will continue to thrive.

Back